Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Poor Ref today

Post by smalldell »

Shocking performance by Doyle!!

took the brave decision to sin bin two players but did not folllow through!!

Gloucester:

Offside all the time
Obstructing
and feedinfginto the backrow

Shocking performance by him and nothing will be done about it!!!

Gloucester were ruthless but any decent ref would have stopped them in their tracks, unfortunately Doyle was indecent...basically rubbish.
Tigerbeat

Re: Poor Ref today

Post by Tigerbeat »

Smalldell, thought that JP Doyle had a pretty good game. Not sure that he can be blamed for the decisions that were not given.
It could be that his Assistant Refs failed to call in what was seen.

His performance will be reviewed by either Campsall or one of the other assessors and watched back on video.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

Tigerbeat wrote:Smalldell, thought that JP Doyle had a pretty good game. Not sure that he can be blamed for the decisions that were not given.
It could be that his Assistant Refs failed to call in what was seen.

His performance will be reviewed by either Campsall or one of the other assessors and watched back on video.
Poor performance. The assessors never do anything as we have had years of unacceptably poor refereeing. There are simple changes that need to be made but nothing is ever done.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Wondered how long it would be before someone blamed the ref for Tigers losing. Have you thought that Tigers never looked like winning today and that Gloucester were the better team. The fact tigers couldn't take the lead against 13 players was not down to the ref but to Tigers poor performance. Tom Youngs throwing in was woeful,and quite frankly the whole Tigers performance was woeful. So stop blaming the ref for Tigers shoddy performance.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

g wrote:Wondered how long it would be before someone blamed the ref for Tigers losing. Have you thought that Tigers never looked like winning today and that Gloucester were the better team. The fact tigers couldn't take the lead against 13 players was not down to the ref but to Tigers poor performance. Tom Youngs throwing in was woeful,and quite frankly the whole Tigers performance was woeful. So stop blaming the ref for Tigers shoddy performance.
Agree with that!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

[quote="g"] The fact tigers couldn't take the lead against 13 players was not down to the ref but to Tigers poor performance. quote]

Wrong :smt018

Fact us that it was down to the ref for allowing Glaws to time waste at the line out and continue to make repeated infringements even after they were down by 2 men ie side entry at the driving mall, kicking the ball back into the scrum and kicking the ball out of the scrum halfs hands :smt019
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

Still Tigers never looked like winning today they had a too big a gap to try and pull back through giving away stupid penalties and not being able to tackle, so I state again Tigers did not lose because of poor reffing. They lost because they couldn't tackle, they gave too many stupid penalties away and didn't involve the backs enough.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Nothing to do witht he ref. We were in a poor posdition because we couldn't cope with the pace of the Glocester backs and had none of our own. We had the defence outflanked a few times but did not have the pace to complete. This ain't JPs fault.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

g wrote:Wondered how long it would be before someone blamed the ref for Tigers losing. Have you thought that Tigers never looked like winning today and that Gloucester were the better team. The fact tigers couldn't take the lead against 13 players was not down to the ref but to Tigers poor performance. Tom Youngs throwing in was woeful,and quite frankly the whole Tigers performance was woeful. So stop blaming the ref for Tigers shoddy performance.
Mind you, the last 15 minutes he did miss an awful lot of offences by Gloucester.

The two scrums before Gloucester won one against the head were both Leicester penalties - for both, Gloucester disengaged whilst attempting to wheel it (the same way they did for the PT) and while Leicester were still all bound together and driving against no opposition he called them back to reset. Those were penalty offences and pretty clear ones at that.

Two minutes later - as Leicester were mauling towards the Gloucester line and a group of Glaws forwards spun off the side, one of them rejoined offside and clamped onto the Tigers carrier. It was pretty clear, but he claimed that he was 'always legal'. Er... not according to the laws....

A couple of phases after that he somehow missed a Gloucester player kicking the ball out of Harrison's hands and wrongly gave a knock-on despite looking straight at the incident. A truly inexplicable call. Fair enough only if he was glancing away at the time, but he was looking directly at it.

Then there was the Cowan scrum, where the ball was fed into the second row, but bounced back so Cowan kicked back to the Gloucester side. Two separate offences, and he called it as... a penalty to Gloucester...

This period of the game I can only imagine he was swayed by the crowd, because that was a LOT of pretty obvious mistakes. Whether we would have won or not with a few different calls is irrelevant; that was some seriously poor refereeing at a key stage of the match.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

g wrote: quite frankly the whole Tigers performance was woeful.
Really don't think so. Outside the scrum, there's no doubt Gloucester were the better side, but there was a lot of good stuff from Tigers - they played a full part in a very good game. To dismiss it as 'woeful' is frankly WUMmery.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Big Dai wrote:Nothing to do witht he ref. We were in a poor posdition because we couldn't cope with the pace of the Glocester backs and had none of our own. We had the defence outflanked a few times but did not have the pace to complete. This ain't JPs fault.
It is the refs fault if the reason our backs could not attack is because Gloucester were offside at every ruck and did not get penalised. It is unbelievable how many times I have to complain about it. The players are offside before the ball is even picked up by the scrum half and they do not move back onside, the ref has plenty of time to see this and never does anything.
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

Well Cowans got away with murder today and especially after he came back on after the sinbin....

I cannot accept that the this referreeing performance was anywhere near acceptable and I firmly believe he cost us the win today
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

g wrote:Still Tigers never looked like winning today they had a too big a gap to try and pull back through giving away stupid penalties and not being able to tackle, so I state again Tigers did not lose because of poor reffing. They lost because they couldn't tackle, they gave too many stupid penalties away and didn't involve the backs enough.
The gap was too big because the ref failed to spot the crossing that stopped Leicester from tackling Simpson-Daniel on the Qera try.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

We have always had poor refs, but in the past we have played to their performance....we now seem unable to adapt to the reffing style.
We were absolutely shocking when they were down to 13, blame the on field (or off field) calls when in possession of the ball....use overlaps and don't kick!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
johnh

Post by johnh »

No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there 3 referees on the pitch? You really have to ask what is the point of the AR's?
I think that we should have been awarded a penalty try for the deliberate batting of the ball by the Glous fullback because Goneva would probably caught the ball and scored. The AR was within 10m and should have called it shouldn't he? If it's only the refs decision to award the PT then we wuz robbed.
Great game though and terrific atmosphere. We need to give them a similar reception (x10) when they come to WR.