Tom Youngs into England 32 man squad for AI

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Tom Youngs into England 32 man squad for AI

Post by drc_007 »

A snippet in the last line from an article in the Daily Mail who have had a very good track record reporting rugby news of late.

"Leicester’s Tom Youngs will also leap from the Saxons into the senior squad to replace injured Bath hooker Rob Webber"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... onals.html

Whilst I'm delighted to see another Tiger get international recognition, I can't help but feel this might be a little early.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tom Youngs into England 32 man squad for AI

Post by PM76 »

Good news for Tom but his form so far has been indifferent with some very good games, such as Exeter and some poorer ones; Quins and Toulouse. Other than his throwing he is ready and compared to other hookers in England he is second/ third choice, although he will undoubtedly continue to improve.

He is also the perfect impact sub, I can't see him starting ahead of Hartley until the summer tour really.
boon

Post by boon »

it might have escaped your notice that hartley is in top form at the moment.

with the talk of his captaincy and leadership credentials on top of playing,i believe hartley is seen as the long term incumbent.

it will take someone special to overtake hartley in the pecking order. youngs isnt that.
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

boon wrote:it might have escaped your notice that hartley is in top form at the moment.

with the talk of his captaincy and leadership credentials on top of playing,i believe hartley is seen as the long term incumbent.

it will take someone special to overtake hartley in the pecking order. youngs isnt that.
That is pretty much what I said, Youngs should improve a lot this year and could be challenging Hartley to start by the summer (EDIT: Or even the 2013 AIs, completely forgot about the Lions!!). Until then Hartley alongside Cole, Ashton, Manu and Robshaw are the only players guaranteed a start if they are fit.
Last edited by PM76 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Have to agree with Boon that Hartley is on top form at the moment both as player and captain. Will be a great battle between him and Rory Best for the lions shirt next year.
As for Tom there really isn't anyone else of any quality at the moment. Even Jamie George who I rate is 3rd choice at Saffas at the moment.
boon

Post by boon »

fair enough.

is jamie george getting enough game time at sarries though? if he doesnt get 'rotated in' and get a proper run at some point its hard to see how he will ever challenge for an england shirt (unless he moves elsewhere?).

mike haywood perhaps doesnt bring the leadership of hartley, but is another decent young prospect for the no 2 shirt.
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

As for Tom there really isn't anyone else of any quality at the moment
Totally agree. If you are looking to 2015 there isn't much choice. Worrying thing for me is that Meyer advised Youngs to switch to hooker how long ago now and still he canno't throw consistently. I'm not convinced by Youngs scrummaging ability either!
Cheery chappy
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Pretty obvious decision. In terms of form Tom Youngs is the second best English hooker.

His throwing may be a slight concern but it is no worse than Chuter's at the end of last season. His work rate around the park is impressive though I'd like to see him carry more often. I've never noticed him being anything other than solid at the scrum.

He needs to take his chance though as Quins Rob Buchanan is coming through well.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

It is a bit early but I am pleased for the lad that they are even thinking about him.
Hartley is rightly jammed in the shirt at the moment but it is the odd injury to him
that may see Youngs elevated. A jarred knee perhaps?
(Ooh please yourself).

The experience will probably be good for him.
I think his throwing has improved greatly in the last few months
A life long Tiger
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I've never noticed him being anything other than solid at the scrum.
I have. He is no comparison to Chutes in this area atm.
Cheery chappy