Tigers losing money......worrying times!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Tigers losing money......worrying times!

Post by WiggoTiger »

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/L ... story.html

Could this be due to poor attendances linked to poor performances on the park. :smt017

I blame all the changing TV times as folks stay at home, in the pub or have other appointments.

Sorry if already been talked about didn't see any thread!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers losing money......worrying times!

Post by TigerCam »

WiggoTiger wrote:http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/L ... story.html

Could this be due to poor attendances linked to poor performances on the park. :smt017

I blame all the changing TV times as folks stay at home, in the pub or have other appointments.

Sorry if already been talked about didn't see any thread!
Couldn't agree more. I was an ST holder for many years but TV times and change of days put pay to that. Shame as I would still be an ST holder if a home game was at 3pm on a Saturday, so the Tigers have lost out on several hundreds from me.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

I agree with you here TigerCam, I know many ST holders who have not renewed as its easier to get tickets when you want them, the times ruin everything....there view like yours...rugby should be 3pm on a Saturday not 5pm on a Sunday!! etc etc Money talks I'm afraid and it affecting the Tigers coffers!! Cut down on all those in the offices...do we really need about 25 commercial staff?? :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

How about the simple fact that a lot of folk cant afford to go all the time.

If I could afford it I would be there every week, but as I'm 125 miles away, 2 tickets, for me and the wife, food drink and fuel, its a cost of over £100.

Mind you, all these different ko times don't help. IMO Saturday at 3pm was invented for sport to kick off.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Are there not > 14,000 ST holders - a record number - this year?

There must be a fall in the number of casual attendees, therefore, a not-unsurprising fact given the rather plain fare served up this season. :smt086
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Daveyboy wrote:Are there not > 14,000 ST holders - a record number - this year?

There must be a fall in the number of casual attendees, therefore, a not-unsurprising fact given the rather plain fare served up this season. :smt086
Is it not more likely that the number of opposition supporters attending the games has fallen? A KO at 5 pm on Sunday would have much greater impact if you then have many hours travel to get home.

But have crowds fallen, looking at the first few matches last season the average attendance was around 18K this season it looks to be 19K.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

WiggoTiger wrote:I agree with you here TigerCam, I know many ST holders who have not renewed as its easier to get tickets when you want them, the times ruin everything....there view like yours...rugby should be 3pm on a Saturday not 5pm on a Sunday!! etc etc Money talks I'm afraid and it affecting the Tigers coffers!! Cut down on all those in the offices...do we really need about 25 commercial staff?? :smt017
Happens in every business. Money starts going wrong so you obviously need more people to manage the money...........Forget about the product!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

You need to look at the facts before you start worrying.

It was RWC year and the club budgeted for a loss.

Reasons are very simple.

No international game in the Autumn say 23,000 supporters at £25 each

£575K plus loss of corporate sales say another £25K, that is turnover but would generate a good margin.

Loss of three autumn internationals, remember Tigers are authorised by the RFU to provide corporate hospitality at Twickenham through the Tigers Events subsidiary. This will represent a large loss of profits.

Reduced attendance during the RWC period as just as all pro clubs do.

As the shops have been taken over by Kitbag the turnover is not included in Tigers figures, they have I understand received more in profit from Kitbag than they would if they still operated them in house.

This season the club have sold record numbers of season tickets (over 14,000) which will be reflected in this years accounts when published next year.

Given the general financial situation the club appear to be doing very well.

In this year there will be the benefit of four internationals at Twickenham, plus Tiger events may well continue to expand its business.

Look at this link to see the many events http://www.tigersevents.com/tigers.asp? ... ction=home

The club appears to continue to be well managed by an excellent board of directors.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:How about the simple fact that a lot of folk cant afford to go all the time.

If I could afford it I would be there every week, but as I'm 125 miles away, 2 tickets, for me and the wife, food drink and fuel, its a cost of over £100.

Mind you, all these different ko times don't help. IMO Saturday at 3pm was invented for sport to kick off.
This is true for us, only as far away as Burntwood (W. of Lichfield). This season we couldn't afford season tickets and since Mrs G was recovering from an op it was cheaper for us to go occasional. Matches on Friday and Sat cost us about £90 all in, Sun cheaper cos we don't go into town usually. We are now considering continuing this rather than STs, given the rocketing cost of living and the fact that STs don't carry the extras we used to get.
Oh and Mrs G thinks the rugby is now formulaic and boring compared to the Goode/Cozza days - even her hero Julian has now retired. :smt010
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
boon

Post by boon »

i think crowds are down slightly across the league, have seen spaces at the rec and kingsholm and the gardens i dont think were there in recent seasons- times are tough for a lot of people and the cost per head will deter many.

eg i usually make the trip to welford road for the saints game, decided to watch it on the telly this time round. going to make the trip to oxford for the novelty factor instead.

johns - saints operate in the same market but still posted a modest profit again last year - how come the tigers board couldnt budget for that (or break even) instead of a loss?
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

. There must be a fall in the number of casual attendees, therefore, a not-unsurprising fact given the rather plain fare served up this season.
Or because every game bar one has been on tv? Then again you can't blame the board/Cockers for that can you.

I also thought the shop deal had caused a drop in revenue but a rise in merchandise profit.

We made a loss but refurbed the Tigers shops and the eateries in the ground. Short term loss for hopefully a long term gain. The RWC and no visiting international team undoubtedly hurt us but hopefully we'll make that up this season.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

If you read the report posted by the club it tells you exactly why there was a small loss and that because our finances are in such good shape we can absorb it.
Why the undermining of the club without substance?
Is it you are desperate to criticise something and our performance today denied you the usual "same old,same old"?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Oadby35
Tiger Cub

Post by Oadby35 »

And on top of that bad signings
Tait .... whats he on £61,000 a year ?????
Oadby35
Tiger Cub

Post by Oadby35 »

WiggoTiger wrote:I agree with you here TigerCam, I know many ST holders who have not renewed as its easier to get tickets when you want them, the times ruin everything....there view like yours...rugby should be 3pm on a Saturday not 5pm on a Sunday!! etc etc Money talks I'm afraid and it affecting the Tigers coffers!! Cut down on all those in the offices...do we really need about 25 commercial staff?? :smt017

What needs to be weighed up here is bums on seats against TV money
A million a year TV money is the equivalent to one home game
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We have more season ticket holders than we have ever had,so clearly it doesn't bother some.
Every team in the prem is affected in exactly the same way, so why do you make out this a problem just for Tigers,there's still a recession on.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.