Will we be waving goodbye to the HC this season yet again?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Will we be waving goodbye to the HC this season yet again?

Post by WiggoTiger »

Having lost in Toulouse and not picking up the BP, next weeks game is make or break in my eyes. If we lose or we let Ospreys get the BP then we will have yet another season missing out on the holy grail.

Call me cynical but I said exactly the same last year at this stage and I was proved correct! :smt022

RC again picking favourites not players to fit the side! :smt013 :smt013
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Will we be waving goodbye to the HC this season yet again?

Post by Isambard »

I fear that you may be right.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

If you're proved correct, and the team fail to win the Premiership final for the fourth (I think) year in a row it might be time for a change at the top, especially if they get there and are outclassed in the final yet again
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

WiggoTiger wrote:Having lost in Toulouse and not picking up the BP, next weeks game is make or break in my eyes. If we lose or we let Ospreys get the BP then we will have yet another season missing out on the holy grail.

Call me cynical but I said exactly the same last year at this stage and I was proved correct! :smt022

RC again picking favourites not players to fit the side! :smt013 :smt013
You said the same last year Wiggo and last year I said Tigers have the ability to get enough points to be a best runner up. I think the same this year but if we get out of the pool I can't see us winning an away QF. That said I imagine Tigers will finish in the top 2 of the prem and reach the final but I can't see us winning that either.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Unless we produce a game plan B then its a yes. We are so totally predictable and robotic that is just all to easy for our opponents to negate us. I had hoped bringing in Bowden, Thompstone, Goneva and Benjamin signalled a new dawn in our attacking prowess but in reality I fear they will be used like vintage Rolls Royces only to be brought out when the weather looks fine.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

The answer to this post is an emphatic "Yes".

He won't change his tactics or selections.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Nothing to do with the vagaries of team selection - we are just not good enough. The score flattered us, even accounting for individual errors (Ben Youngs had a shocker all game - why did Chutes not get on??). Well played Toulouse - thet did nnot even play brilliantly but we still never looked like scoring and that is the end of it!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

As a supporter for over fifty years, I have seen Tigers at their best---and worst. It is patently obvious to anyone with a rugby brain, excepting the small but loyal band of Cockerill supporters, that Tigers are caught in a time warp.
In truth . we are a team of, in cricketing parlance-Flat track bullies.
As soon as we come up a side that doesnt buckle at the sight of big lumps running at them, we are in serious poo.
The back play is non existent, if Flood and Youngs are England fly halves in 2015, we can kiss goodbye to that as well.
Tuilagi has regressed alarmingly and Allen, bless him is far too slow.
There is absolutely zero pace or inventiveness when needed
In truth-- and truth it is, we have
1-A very limited Coaching squad, way below our needs and
2-Too many journeymen , good enough for most of the Premiership, but well past it at Top Club and International Level
3-- I firmly believe some of the side, especially our ''iconic'' Castrogiovanni, are not nearly fit enough.!
SO SACK THE COACHES NOW-Before we waste another season.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

There is also no random excuses about the RWC or lots of injuries to bring out this year. I'm sure cockers said strongest squad for a long time!! :smt017

Not good enough in Europe i fear!!

Maybe time for the Oz and Johnno show!! :smt030 :smt030
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

[quote="Big Dai"]The answer to this post is an emphatic "Yes".

He won't change his tactics or selections.[/quote]

This I fear is the biggest issue.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

Not sure about replacing the coaches yet, but fortysix has a point, or several actually. The 2 D's are killing us though, discipline and decision-making. You can be the best side in the world but if you keep giving away penalties then you can kiss goodbye to these types of games at the very top level. Against Sale you can get away with it but not in Toulouse. Shame, because at half-time I was pretty content, the hosts didn't show much that could trouble us in my opinion. Someone please tell me why we have to go one drive on all the time ? We get the ball, drive it up and then again...the ball should then be going wide but instead (usually) Crane takes it one more, gets isolated and we then lose possession or get penalised. Tom Youngs is the same, lots of power, pace and energy but no awareness of where he is on the park or what to do. If we're honest, we offered no threat at all to Toulouse. It's very disappointing, we're going to have to go to Ospreys and win again....and we won't if we play like that. End of Europe.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

RWA...agree.

Discipline and decision making need to improve as they are proving to be costly.

Murphy will bring back some stability with his leadership.

Goneka, Bowden, Thompstone, Morris will settle and really show their worth.

The season is young and there is still a long way to go. I hate defeats as much as anyone!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Tigerbeat wrote:RWA...agree.

Discipline and decision making need to improve as they are proving to be costly.

And how long do you think we will be able to depend on Murphy for stability and leadership?
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I have said for 3 years the issue is not as much Cockers but MOC and our signal lack of good attack, breakdown and defence coaching. Cockers may catch the flak for overall responsibility but we have the backs and they seem to be witless. Last season - exactly at this time - I posted the same.
There are those on here that are so blind they cannot see that we need new coaching inputs BUT those don't mean that Cockers has to go. He represents essential continuity especially in the forwards. He ain't a back or attack coach.
We could have had Kirwan....?
BTW I also trumpeted about Lyn Jones, the best coach Ospreys had - and discarded. You now see how good he is - he may yet keep Welsh up, virtually on his own as coach. What Jones could do with Tigers' resources :smt009
PS good firefighting, Tigerbeat. :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
billhemsley
Tiger Cub

Post by billhemsley »

[quote="Tigerbeat"]RWA...agree.

quote]

I have to say that the 2 D's as they have been called have been proving costly for some years now in my opinion

I was looking for the skipper to be giving everyone a right rollicking for giving penalties away again and again but all I saw was Jordan Crane having words with Nigel Owens. Maybe I missed his finger wagging at the team - but I doubt it