Team v Toulouse (A) looks ok except at 7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Mo Leicester

Re: Team looks ok except at 7

Post by Mo Leicester »

My memory of Johnson playing in England is the he was very good around the pitch but not a great scrumager (lots of collapses).

We have a lot of weight in the forwards as well as three top jumpers (plus Crane has stolen a few lineouts in the last couple of weeks).

I suspect we will be looking to attack the setpiece bigtime.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Some good discussion on here this week, can't say as I can see any weakness in the starting team and I think our bench looks to have more impact than theirs. So I am confident of a result,just hope it's more than a losing bonus point,which in the scheme of things might be enough to go through.I'd love us to throw down a big marker with a win.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRRrrrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

tigerburnie wrote:Some good discussion on here this week, can't say as I can see any weakness in the starting team and I think our bench looks to have more impact than theirs. So I am confident of a result,just hope it's more than a losing bonus point,which in the scheme of things might be enough to go through.I'd love us to throw down a big marker with a win.

I reckon we are due a big performance, hopefully it will come on Sunday. :smt023
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

I'm pleased with the side and it's great to have Ayerza, Mafi and Hamilton back, Smith on the bench ahead of Thompstone is a bit of no-brainer as he can play in the centres too. I would have started Slater for his work in the tight but Kitchener did do well in the opening rounds and looks better at 4 than 5. Thorpe by his own admission is not a scavenging 7, he tackled and carried vs. Sale, why not let TTTE do the same. My only concern with that is can we keep out Toulouse for 15+ phases, on our 22, as we did against Sale??

It's time Tigers had a decent European performance, hopefully it will come this weekend. :smt027 :smt027
Last edited by PM76 on Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Oh la la! Don't like that back row...all good eggs........but balance? I'd prefer Thorpe in there. Who was it said we would miss Salvi? The opposition look very good on paper.

I'd have liked to see morris at full back too.

Ah well....Old peculiar stocked behind the settee! Here goes!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Big Dai wrote: Who was it said we would miss Salvi?
I believe I did - amongst others.

I would love to be proved wrong but I fear that we will not compete at the breakdown without a genuine 7.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Team v Toulouse (A) looks ok except at 7

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

We have no Opensides, they have 2 including Terry the Tackle, a highly predictable & disapointing selection from RC, if we get anything from Sunday we will have done better than I expect.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

GT1 wrote:I'm worried about how it will be reffed, a certain N Owens not renowned for having quiet games! Suspect we will be discussing his performance on Monday.

It is well known that N.Owens has no idea of where the offside line is and simply does not understand what goes on in the front rows. He also does not understand that "if you are on the floor you are out of the game " (Norling). His "contribution" could be critical.
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Our back row picks itself,we have to get some go forward and protect the ball,we don't have any other option at the moment sadly.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

It is a defensive selection principally, aimed at gaining a bonus point as in reality it is unlikely, despite most of our team being excellent, that we will prevail away from home against a team that is largely a recent French international side buttressed with useful others (e.g. McAllister). I can only think of Salvi as being any improvement on this selection, yet we are just that pesky 1% off a surprise result, again. As ever. I wil however be well pleased with a LBP as I think we are playing for the best runner-up spot.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:It is a defensive selection principally, aimed at gaining a bonus point as in reality it is unlikely, despite most of our team being excellent, that we will prevail away from home against a team that is largely a recent French international side buttressed with useful others (e.g. McAllister). I can only think of Salvi as being any improvement on this selection, yet we are just that pesky 1% off a surprise result, again. As ever. I wil however be well pleased with a LBP as I think we are playing for the best runner-up spot.
If you are right (and I hope you are not -Tigers to be 3 scores ahead into the last quarter - then it will depend on Cockers use of the bench. Not his strongest card - usually too little too late!!

:smt012
Still keeping the faith!
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Bill W (2) wrote:Tigers to be 3 scores ahead into the last quarter
How much do you drink/what are you taking before posting on here?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

tigerburnie wrote:I think our bench looks to have more impact than theirs. So I am confident of a result,just hope it's more than a losing bonus point,which in the scheme of things might be enough to go through.I'd love us to throw down a big marker with a win.

Yeah - George and Matt will come on & wreak havoc.
To be fair to Smith he's played solidly this season. As for George at least he's fit.

Having seen Exeter, Sarries and Quins play today I can't help but reflect on how far behind we really are. Exeter with no superstars were unlucky to lose. Sarries and Quins looked liked sides who had more options than just keep bashing.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

mol2 wrote:.

Having seen Exeter, Sarries and Quins play today I can't help but reflect on how far behind we really are. Exeter with no superstars were unlucky to lose. Sarries and Quins looked liked sides who had more options than just keep bashing.
How far behind are we, if at all? We beat Exeter, drew with Sarries and lost to Quins. How does that put us behind them? Also we are playing virtually the French national team on their home ground so if we do lose I suppose you will feel justified in saying we are really far behind the other English teams.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
mol2 wrote:.

How far behind are we, if at all? We beat Exeter, drew with Sarries and lost to Quins. How does that put us behind them? Also we are playing virtually the French national team on their home ground so if we do lose I suppose you will feel justified in saying we are really far behind the other English teams.
I could not agree more Smurphs, if Tigers were in Quins place, which would have been a possibility due to seeding etc., and had beaten a BO side that had played that poorly some would have been complaining about the easiness of the group.

Let's be honest Quins should be selling tickets for a home QF and HC semi-final already given their pool.