RWC 2015 venues.. no welford road??

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: RWC 2015 venues.. no welford road??

Post by Jose »

It's just an ignorant decision which shows no regard for English rugby union clubs. I also think it's a massive own goal (appropriate football parlance may be understood by RFU) in terms of promoting rugby union, and what makes it different. As a rugby supporter you get the proximity of players, the history of the ground, the fans mixing in together etc, and whilst you may be able to change the rules and let people take beer into the stands (I presume), what you certainly won't be able to replicate is the atmosphere you get at rugby grounds (as opposed to identikit concrete bowl, vandal proof, partitioned football stadia).

I also share the concerns re the use of the Olympic Stadium, which was a truly amazing place to watch athletics during the Olympics and Paralympics, but is just too large for rugby, in terms of spectator distance from pitch. If it's really necessary (?) to use a third venue in London, then the Emirates would appear a better bet as a venue (though having been there it may have been impossible to de-brand it, given the sheer scale of advertising permanently in place).

It seems a shame that this opportunity to promote rugby union is being missed by a committee which appears to know the price of everything but the value of nothing.
Joe The Tigers Fan
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

"It seems a shame that this opportunity to promote rugby union is being missed by a committee which appears to know the price of everything but the value of nothing."

A verdict on IRB, WC2015, RFU....... :smt010
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I was going to note that you missed out ERC, until I realised that they can't even work out the price, let alone the value.

:smt013
Joe The Tigers Fan
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Don't know what all the whinging is about. Welford Road doesn't meet the criteria so I can't see where any conspiracy etc. comes into it.

Maybe the directors of LFC should have pressed on with the development plan somewhat faster than they have? A point that has been made by several on here over recent years!
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Simon Cohen's (and also the board as a whole I would imagine) thoughts on the snub.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19884089
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Jose wrote:If it's really necessary (?) to use a third venue in London, then the Emirates would appear a better bet as a venue.
I too go to the Emirates often and the branding would certainly be an issue, but given that the RWC takes places between 18 September to 31 October 2015, there is no way Arsene Wenger would allow Rugby to be played at the Emirates during the football season. The pitch at the Emirates is a manicured bowling green during the football season.
Always a Tiger
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

ellis9 wrote:Simon Cohen's (and also the board as a whole I would imagine) thoughts on the snub.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19884089
A dignified, measured and clear response.

An appropriate use of the word iconic to describe the ground and the club within English rugby (I won't run through it again).

Wanting to bring in new spectators [and participation] into the game (a worthy aspiration) can - in my view - only begin with building on the existing support base and showcasing not only the sport, but also the environment in which it is played.

To see what can happen when it comes to the wrong game in the wrong place, one only has to think of the dead non-atmosphere of the recent Saracens v Tigers game at Wembley...
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

bluntiger wrote:
Jose wrote:If it's really necessary (?) to use a third venue in London, then the Emirates would appear a better bet as a venue.
I too go to the Emirates often and the branding would certainly be an issue, but given that the RWC takes places between 18 September to 31 October 2015, there is no way Arsene Wenger would allow Rugby to be played at the Emirates during the football season. The pitch at the Emirates is a manicured bowling green during the football season.
I think the other elephant in the room which RWC 2015 appear to be ignoring (allegedly because some bits of paper were signed) is the access to football stadia during the football season. As far as I can tell it is just the clubs themselves, their sponsors, the FA, UEFA, the Premier League, the Football League, Sky, other broadcasters, the relevant local councils and police that RWC2015 are going to have to co-ordinate with in putting together the fixture list. Good luck with that, cos they'll certainly need it, as they'll be needing to produce fixture lists for the RWC before is even clear what divisions and competitions some of these football teams using the stadia will be in for the following season, let alone precise fixture lists. I hope the pieces of paper were well drafted and signed by all the parties identified above!
Joe The Tigers Fan
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Half of the Stadiums chosen will not even reach one third capacity-anyone seriously believe 50000 football mad Tynesiders are going to turn up to watch a Rugby Match... especially at vastly inflated prices, just like the Olympics !!!

Some totally stupid choices-hope it backfires on the idiots in as big a way as possible.

Just like all Politicians-at every level-:censored: greedy and totally short sighted.

Why bother when it will all be on TV anyway.

Vote with your feet !!!

PS If you do decide to book, order your Tickets abroad, they will undoubtedly be much cheaper
Dave Angel
Super User
Super User

Post by Dave Angel »

thebearisstilldeano wrote:Last RWC in England I went to the soul-less football ground in Huddersfield to see England (yes ENGLAND) play Holland... and even with the national team playing in a "gim-me " win game it wasn't a sell out.

That game wasn't actually during the RWC. It was an RWC qualifier in 1998 as England hadn't qualified automatically for the 1999 tournament.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Dave Angel - hello stranger. :smt039
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Rinzler
Tiger Cub

Post by Rinzler »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19886334

I notice a few forum members have already seen this. Former RFU chairman Martyn Thomas says the organizers had a 'moral obligation' to use rugby grounds for the tournament. Nice to see its not just those from the Tigers camp speaking out.

EDIT:

There is also an article saying Gloucester aren't willing to expand before the tournament. Possibly ruining their hopes of being picked for the final 12?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19882836
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Seems like a really poor decision, to me the idea of taking rugby to places where it is not the major sport is a big slap in the face to the supporters for whom it is the major sport, especially for such a once-in-a-lifetime event. Well at least no one can tell you off for taking drinks back to your seats if they're in your living room :smt023
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

I think the RWC committee may think in hindsight after the event that they made a blunder in selecting football grounds with much larger capacities than all the club rugby grounds, and then having to answer to why they chose these grounds that ended up being more than half empty for 'minor' games. Even at WR we do not get sell out 24K every game so what are they expecting during the WC? Rugby fans will attend... when they can but as other poster have said, can you imagine Newcastle filling their ground? I don't think so for one minute... unless England play there. IMO smaller grounds filled to capacity offers much more of an atmosphere than a big half empty ground.

Another point, why do some posters say they wouldn't go to the Crisp Bowl to watch a game? It's a stadium that is hosting a rugby match, it doesn't mean that the hardened rugby fan has to become a soft football fan. Get a life!
sjm
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by sjm »

This is a RUGBY world cup not football but having read what the RFU head honcho said does it matter if the games are played at a rugby or football ground he clearly doesnt know that we think more about the game than he does, all he seems to care about is the money