George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: George Ford

Post by DickyP »

All the speculation is to be expected and, of course, GF will be champing at the bit. However, I'd like to think the worst gloomsters on the forum are wrong. Cockers ain't stupid - despite the views of some - and I cannot imaging that he and GF haven't had a long conversation about the lads progression.

Of course, I'd love to have some concrete proof of what Goerge's real views are but that's even less likely than getting news of Tigers's injuries.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

DickyP wrote: Cockers ain't stupid - despite the views of some - and I cannot imaging that he and GF haven't had a long conversation about the lads progression.
And yet - similar to 12trees - Cockers only agreed a 1 year deal with the lad, who could be the clubs best player for the next 10 years, whilst others get 3 year deals they hardly deserve ?
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Jay C wrote:
DickyP wrote: Cockers ain't stupid - despite the views of some - and I cannot imaging that he and GF haven't had a long conversation about the lads progression.
And yet - similar to 12trees - Cockers only agreed a 1 year deal with the lad, who could be the clubs best player for the next 10 years, whilst others get 3 year deals they hardly deserve ?
In your opinion he could be the clubs best player for the next 10 years, but perhaps a year ago when a one year contract was offered he needed to bulk up and until the result of that was known a longer contract was too great a risk. You may think some players dont deserve their 3 year contracts but obviously the club knows better!
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

Jay C wrote:
That would be George's representatives request I believe, not the clubs. I should also say that it is something the club were happy to do also - Newcastle did the same with Wilkinson whilst he was there.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
Jay C wrote:
In your opinion he could be the clubs best player for the next 10 years, but perhaps a year ago when a one year contract was offered he needed to bulk up and until the result of that was known a longer contract was too great a risk. You may think some players dont deserve their 3 year contracts but obviously the club knows better!
Think differently - yes

Obviously know better? :smt017
Wes

Post by Wes »

I'd assume 'obviously' as it's their job and they actually know ALL the facts.

However, he's starting on Friday, so we should be able to see if he can live upto the hype!
I only live there to wind up the population!
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Wes wrote:I'd assume 'obviously' as it's their job and they actually know ALL the facts.

However, he's starting on Friday, so we should be able to see if he can live upto the hype!
Your going to judge the hype on 1 game are you? At least wait until the lad has a run of games which he will get when Toby is away with England, then we will get a better idea if he can live up to your so called hype!
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

I thinkthe George Ford we are talking about proved himself time and time again last season....

In black and white---Flood , whilst the best of the rest bar Burns, is not on the same wavelength as Ford.. !!

Any player/Coach will tell you Ford is the real deal.

Question is-which of the two is RC going to go for ?

Pity we cant play Flood at 12, considering Farrell does just that. And I would personally have Flood over Farrell any day.
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

Don't be so grim. Just look at how Tom Youngs is finally cementing himself in the starting XV at the age of 25.
Flood is a solid player to have, and quite a hard one to drop. Yes his kicking from hand is at time aimless but otherwise he has a balanced game with good passing off both hands.
I'm sure For will start to make a bigger influence this season like other young lads.
vinniechan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by vinniechan »

Flood used to be a 12 and that sure will come into the minds of coaches. Problem is whether he's forgotten how to play there.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Your going to judge the hype on 1 game are you? At least wait until the lad has a run of games which he will get when Toby is away with England, then we will get a better idea if he can live up to your so called hype!
No, not at all. It was supposed to be tongue in cheek, only I can't ever get the right message across on forums. I won't judge him as worthy of the hype till I see him excel for tigers over a complete season, get an England shout and then boss a game in a retreating pack against someone like the French. Then and only then is someone worth the hype!

I'd like to see him play though, as I have only done so once. He seemed pretty good then, I hope that we're surprised by how good he is still.

Oh, and I really rate Floody, so it will be a balancing act upto the point at which Ford (if he fullfills promise) becomes and international fly half and we have Englands 1&2 in the same team. Then simply, there won't be room.
I only live there to wind up the population!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There's much talk of a plan "A" and a plan "B", why not have the two top fly halves in one team, both play the game differently and we could even have both of them on the pitch to vary things even more. Waldrom and Crane could be an example of how this might work, the only down side from Tigers point of view is it's more players away during the league schedule.
That of course could easily be fixed by not playing league games on the same day as internationals like roundy ball.With no Heineken cup that could just be a great way of raising our games standards by the clubs always playing their best team(subject to injury) and England gets easy access to the players they want................simples :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

Shedwards thoughts on the matter:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/20 ... rnationals

He makes a good point about gametime vs the need to bulk up.