When was the last time?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

When was the last time?

Post by bc »

When did we go 2 games on the trot without scoring a try? The worst thing about this current sequence is that we don't look liking breaking defences. Where have the offlaods gone that we started using in the 2nd half of last season and Quins are experts at?
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: When was the last time?

Post by Smudge »

I seem to remember it was only a couple of seasons ago the rugby press were wondering when Tigers would score a try.
However, I agree that we looked very one-dimensional.Was this the fault of the captain, the pivot or the coaches?

The restarts were better this week and there was less aimless kicking away of possession, but Floods inability to find touch is worrying.
He even missed a couple of easy penalty kicks. Also the refusal to take the points when on offer was a mistake.

What is more worrying than anything was the lack of vision at pivot.
The use of the occasional chip over their rapid defence would have kept them honest, likewise a cross-kick to the winger now and again.
That this was down to a lack of inspiration by the players or restrictions placed on them by the coaches is debatable.
The pack were very disorganised and not only couldn't sustain a driving maul they were marched back on numerous occasions. Likewise the lineouts were poor which was not just the fault of Youngs.
Quin's best asset by far is an excellent and intelligent director of rugby.
Last edited by Smudge on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
A life long Tiger
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

The first three league games of the 09-10 season were try-less. All the 42 points in those matches came from 14 penalties by Jeremy Staunton.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

BJ. wrote:The first three league games of the 09-10 season were try-less. All the 42 points in those matches came from 14 penalties by Jeremy Staunton.
Thanks BJ. And thers me thinking it must have been pre-professional era!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Smudge! Where's the "like" button on this forum?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

smudge - I take your points, but before poking at Cockers re the 'intelligent' director of rugby that quins have you need to conceed they also have one of the best 9/10 combos around.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I think Evans is pivotal to their team, take him out and I think they will struggle. What a player he is though.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

smudge - I take your points, but before poking at Cockers re the 'intelligent' director of rugby that quins have you need to conceed they also have one of the best 9/10 combos around.
I was trying not to have a pop at Cockers, especially this early in the season!

I happily concede to their excellent 9/10 combination although they were very
good across the whole team.

As for our DOR, I also see his problem. Being too conservative in selection he
is going to screw up the next generation of Tigers but taking risks with up and
coming players could cost him his job.
He is in no danger whatsoever at the moment but if we go out of the HC this season
in the manner we did last, he will be gone.
Many were saying last year "who will replace him". Well Quins DOR would do me for a start.
That chap really knows what he's about and is forward thinking.
A life long Tiger
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I think I can agree with all of the above!

Quins have really developed their game, are exciting to watch, and have one of the best half back combinations in the world on top of their games.
Valhalla I am coming!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

I, too agree with the comments here. The worrying thing is that Tigers are NOT changing the playing style to compete, is that coaching or players not implementing on the pitch? If the former then we need fresh thinking.
There was an article in the Telegraph a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't actually directly sport related, but the general thread was about how men are less able to think on the fly and are more likely to just carry out the exact instructions they have been given. Conversely women are more likely to think 'outside the box' and try a different approach if one is not working. A prime example given is that men are less likely to ask for directions when driving and, likely lost, than women!
Obviously I'm not advocating ladies in the team :smt003 nor am I suggesting that Quins are a load of girls :smt001 however perhaps some female input in the coaching could bring dividends?

The article is online: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/new ... panic.html
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

Seems to me that most (Tigers?) players are dumbed down to play in a particular way, whatever their inate abilities. It'll be interesting to see if the same happens to Ford who, in the past, has shown just the spark needed - doesn't always work, but that's part of gaining experience.

Also, decision making yesterday was questionable - eg when we were awarded a penalty following a line-out 5 metres from their try-line and with fresh props on; Flood (not Crane) appeared to make the decision to go for the re-throw, thus nullifying the potential advantage.

I appreciate that the starting 15 were not who Cockers would have chosen to start with, but they are all good or very good players who didn't play as a team - Quins definitely showed how rugby should be played, especially in the superb conditions of yesterday.

Ads
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

[quote="Smudge"][quote]smudge - I take your points, but before poking at Cockers re the 'intelligent' director of rugby that quins have you need to conceed they also have one of the best 9/10 combos around.
[/quote]

I was trying not to have a pop at Cockers, especially this early in the season!

[/quote]

In that case, I agree! I share the concerns about the future e.g. when Geordan and possibly a few of the older heads hang up their boots/leave next season who will the leaders be?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

[quote="bc"]When did we go 2 games on the trot without scoring a try? The worst thing about this current sequence is that we don't look liking breaking defences. Where have the offlaods gone that we started using in the 2nd half of last season and Quins are experts at?[/quote]

Last season
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

hugh78 wrote I
share the concerns about the future e.g. when Geordan and possibly a few of the older heads hang up their boots/leave next season who will the leaders be?
My concerns are immediate. Although I like Crane, it was a stupid move to make him captain for the day.Just back in the side.
What on earth was he thinking? The pack didn't operate as a unit and were found out several times.
Compared to Tigers packs in the past ( of which Cockers was one) they were rudderless. If the captain is in the pack he has also to be the pack leader.Crane looked all at sea and it was reflected in their performance.
Any number of wrong decisions were made and the team suffered for it. I have every confidence in the ability of Harrison and Flood.
The former is only short of experience and Flood, when on form, can run a back line as well as anyone.
The trouble is, he's not kicking well out of hand and didn't once attempt a chip or cross kick to counter the rush defence Quins utilised so well.So why wasn't he subbed?
We had similar trouble with the pests when they used to use that tactic.
It seems we never learn. Likewise we should have known that they would flood a channel and open us up. Just as they did in the final.
This is where the coaches must earn their substantial salaries.
We have to be sure there is a plan B and plan C if plan A is not working. They must ensure that the pivotal players know what to do and when.
They also have to ensure that the captain can read the game intelligently and can change the tactics without reference to the sidelines.
And as has been the case for years now, make intelligent use of the bench to make an impact on the game rather than to give them a bit of game time.
Essentially, all the squad have to be "singing from the same hymn sheet" and be aware what is on. And at all times.
It is rare that we are so completely inept at set pieces, especially at lineout. There was also a time in the first half where we were getting mullered in the scrum. I fully expected the props to be changed at that time but it was ignored and we went on to loose possession and a try.
An army is only as good (or bad) as it's officers.
To misquote the Kaiser, "Tigers led by donkeys"?
A life long Tiger