Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

RWC 2015

Post by TigerLad »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19628404

Very worried that only us and Gloucester have expressed an interest in hosting world cup games.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: RWC 2015

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

TigerLad wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19628404

Very worried that only us and Gloucester have expressed an interest in hosting world cup games.
Very few sides have the capacity required to make the money that the IRB are insisting upon. Leicester and Gloucester will be lucky to get Japan vs Tonga or Canada vs Romania when they should be hosting the likes of Italy or Argentina.

There are two things here that are wrong. Firstly the IRB insisting on certain amounts of money to be made meaning that only football grounds can be used, the second is the complete lack of investment in purpose built Rugby stadia that could be constructed for the World Cup then given to the likes of Wasps, Saracens, London Irish, London Welsh, Sale et al instead of this ridiculous nomadic situation. There appears to be no investment in club Rugby as a result of this World Cup.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
Artuin
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Artuin »

Erm...aren't we developing WR? Not up to WCR standards or TV standards :smt011
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Artuin wrote:Erm...aren't we developing WR? Not up to WCR standards or TV standards :smt011
WCR? What is WCR?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Artuin
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Artuin »

Sorry but too lazy ( at that time of night)to type world cup rugby standards. :smt022
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

TigerLad wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/19628404

3 million ticket sales? Someone's been smoking something.

If it's the same format (4 pools of 5, QFs, QFs, F) then that's an AVERAGE crowd of 62,500.

No chance.
Saxon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Saxon »

Quote:
'There are two things here that are wrong. Firstly the IRB insisting on certain amounts of money to be made meaning that only football grounds can be used, the second is the complete lack of investment in purpose built Rugby stadia that could be constructed for the World Cup then given to the likes of Wasps, Saracens, London Irish, London Welsh, Sale et al instead of this ridiculous nomadic situation. There appears to be no investment in club Rugby as a result of this World Cup.'

I don't really want to state the obvious but what would be the point of building huge stadiums for teams that rarely get more than 10K fans attending? Ultimately this would just add to some of those teams financial woes.
TigerTiger....
tommo

Post by tommo »

And more to the point, Premier League have said they will only confirm football ground use after the 2015 fixture list is confirmed....in June 2015!
Oh, When The Saints Go Marching In!
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I'm sure we'll let you rent Murrayfield for a resonable fee. :smt003
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

biffer wrote:I'm sure we'll let you rent Murrayfield for a resonable fee. :smt003
Why not? They're already letting the :censored: Welsh play their matches at the Millennium Stadium! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

BJ. wrote:
biffer wrote:I'm sure we'll let you rent Murrayfield for a resonable fee. :smt003
Why not? They're already letting the :censored: Welsh play their matches at the Millennium Stadium! :smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Was half-joking. However, the Welsh are officially part of it, so accept some of the financial risk. If Murrayfield were used I'd want it to be on a rental basis as I wouldn't want the SRU taking the kind of financial risk the RFU have.
Done that before and look where it got us.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

BJ. wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that the Welsh wouldn't be playing their games at the Millenium, although that may be wrong. Can't remember where I read it!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

biffer wrote:Was half-joking.
I know you were. :smt002
Cardiff Tig wrote:I thought I read somewhere that the Welsh wouldn't be playing their games at the Millenium, although that may be wrong. Can't remember where I read it!
Everything I've seen points towards Wales playing their pool matches in Cardiff. There was an interview on Total Rugby recently with Adam Rhys Jones in which he talked about his hopes of finishing his international career playing at the Millennium in RWC2015.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

WC article linky

Okay, so a couple of points to raise from previous posts & the above article .....

1. Welsh to play at the Millenium, but England not to play at Twickenham ?

Home advantage is considered critical, but we are prepared to stuff ourselves and aid the Welsh bid at the same time - why ?

Allegedly to "spread & develop the game" - but surely winning the WC would do that much better than losing a game in Manchester ....

2. Organisers want to play in football stadia because they want to take rugby into football dominated areas.

....and then leave again - the football clubs take the money and rugby has no better foothold in the area than it did before ....

....and if the football clubs were at all worried, then they justrefuse to host the games in the first place !

3. No agreement over stadia has been reached yet, but its already too late to build any custom rugby grounds for the tournament.

So the planning is already looking a bit thin and poorly organised - typical RFU ....

After a brilliant Olympics, are we going to right royally :censored: up the WC of rugby ??
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jay C wrote:After a brilliant Olympics, are we going to right royally :censored: up the WC of rugby ??

Probably!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!