Tigers v Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigerpete

Re: Tigers v Quins

Post by Tigerpete »

Well done Quinns, we were beaten by the far better side. Tigers looked to have no imagination or flair yesterday. It seemed the tactic was bash through the Quinns wall and if that didn't work then let's try and bash through the Quinns wall. The game was crying out for Ford to bring some creativity to the play. Quinns looked bigger, faster, more adventurous throughout. I thought the officials did not have a good game but we were well beaten and have to learn from this.
quincy

Post by quincy »

Some good comments. Quins showed how good they were yesterday. They realized three or fours years ago that keeping the ball in hand at the tackle was the way forward, but Tigers haven't realized that yet and go to ground most of the time. Not too demoralised just disappointed. still waiting for an actual backs move and wonder what O,Connor does for his money.
I also think that Tigers should be careful they don't lose Ford, as he needs some first team football now.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Possession is everything. Kicking for touch (and some of those didn't go far enough) when the opposition are winning their line outs easily just gives the ball to them.

If it takes 30 phases from deep then that is what it takes - our handling is good - just hang on to the ball!
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

For my two penn'orth, we weren't good enough to win, but I don't think Quins were causing us too much trouble overall either. I think it's one we lost (passes into touch, silly pens, knock ons, missed line outs) more than one they won.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone watched it back on tv? I'm not convinced Pearson was up to scratch yesterday, and I think he missed some serious going over the top/off feet in the build up to their try. I thought that that was what he was checking for and we might get away with it!

Even though I've said I didn't think we should have won, another day, another ref and it could have been different.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Quins allow players to play what they see in front of them, and to keep the ball moving, whilst we insist on playing set moves. Our ball is slow, our creativity lacking. Quins have developed a winning style without ignoring the importance of the set piece, whilst we bore away through the middle in hope, and with a set piece that is not yet working. Disappointing, especially the lack of tries in the last two games.

On this form, Exeter will have the better of us next week.
Valhalla I am coming!
TomR96
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TomR96 »

2: What has Rob Hawkins done wrong? Always carries well and has a good line out throw, I'd like to at least see him on the bench.
Rob Hawkins broke his thumb in training, so he'll be out for about 6-8 weeks
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Another injury! What is it about injuries with us?
krwa
Tiger Cub

Post by krwa »

I have thought for a long while if floody is the best fly half in englnd god help us his kicking was awfull again yesterday and no idea how to change the game. If ford dont start next week we will lose him and the game.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Tigerpete wrote:Well done Quinns, we were beaten by the far better side. Tigers looked to have no imagination or flair yesterday. It seemed the tactic was bash through the Quinns wall and if that didn't work then let's try and bash through the Quinns wall. The game was crying out for Ford to bring some creativity to the play. Quinns looked bigger, faster, more adventurous throughout. I thought the officials did not have a good game but we were well beaten and have to learn from this.
Having just read some reports of the game in the RT and other papers I can only concur. It would appear that the Tigers still intend to play a game plan that has not bought a top trophy for a while. From what I have read Quins applied the same tactics that won them the pot at twickers and the Tigers have not idea how to either play that style of game or deal with a side playing that style of game. Poor games against L. Welsh, the Wuss and Sarries only underly how inept the Tigers are at playing the running game with out players like Ford etc. Biff, Bash, Boff counts for diddly-squat and this time around there are not the excuses of the RWC etc to provide the smoke-screen.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tgercam................I'm looking for the "like" button again!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Normally I do not blame the management but in this case I will, and that is as most have said, purely for selection alone.

To not select our best 2 props to start is criminal as is leaving Waldroum out.

To not leave George on once he came on for the blood injury was just plain bonkers.

Also when it was blindingly obvious that Flood was having a stinker(and he has had a few of those lately), to not bring on a talented young man with an intelligent brain and some of the best tactical kicking from a fly half as I have seen for many a year, is very odd indeed.

I hope selection against Exeter is not as foolish and they do not stick by people out of some misguided sense of loyalty
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

mightymouse wrote:Normally I do not blame the management but in this case I will, and that is as most have said, purely for selection alone.

To not select our best 2 props to start is criminal as is leaving Waldroum out.

To not leave George on once he came on for the blood injury was just plain bonkers.

Also when it was blindingly obvious that Flood was having a stinker(and he has had a few of those lately), to not bring on a talented young man with an intelligent brain and some of the best tactical kicking from a fly half as I have seen for many a year, is very odd indeed.

I hope selection against Exeter is not as foolish and they do not stick by people out of some misguided sense of loyalty
Dont agree with you on the props or Waldrom. Tactically probably the right thing to do to bring on the impact players in the second half. Agree about Chuter, his throwing is better than Youngs and might of made a difference but hindsight is a wonderful thing! Perhaps we have to persevere with Youngs as George is coming to the end of his career. I dont agree with people who are knocking Toby. It was obvious that Quins could attack Toby and not worry about our scrum half and therefore Toby had no time or space. Look what happened when Sam decided to attack, he found gaps because the Quins were targeting Toby.
It seems to me that this season( 4 games in!) the pet hates are Flood and Allen.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Smurphswillgetya wrote: Dont agree with you on the props or Waldrom. Tactically probably the right thing to do to bring on the impact players in the second half. Agree about Chuter, his throwing is better than Youngs and might of made a difference but hindsight is a wonderful thing! Perhaps we have to persevere with Youngs as George is coming to the end of his career. I dont agree with people who are knocking Toby. It was obvious that Quins could attack Toby and not worry about our scrum half and therefore Toby had no time or space. Look what happened when Sam decided to attack, he found gaps because the Quins were targeting Toby.
It seems to me that this season( 4 games in!) the pet hates are Flood and Allen.
Agree - Flood and Allen appear to be taking a lot more flak then they deserve when actually they've got very little to play with from 11, 13, 14 and 15. Also agree re Harrison. Gaps were huge when he went for them post 60 because Quins had been able to totally discount him/ignore him as a threat for 60 mins, so zero space for Flood and Allen.

Disagree - Waldrom should have been on from the start, not least because of the above point and the fact that he provides Flood and Allen with another option by running good lines at pace. In fact he puts Smith to shame in terms of his timing and ability to hit a line. Maybe 13 if not 8! :smt002
Joe The Tigers Fan
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Team selection is the gift of the DOR and as such, if it's wrong, he should take the blame.
I don't think alarm bells are ringing just yet but another debacle like that and
they will be. The player's meeting after last years defeat at Exeter seemed to
change the course of the season ( and saved the coaches)but then came the Prem final.
A game very similar to Saturday's. No idea how to adapt either on or off the field.
Where is the vital spark that burned in Johnno and Back?
Where is the vision of Chalkie?
Where is the intelligence of Pat?
A life long Tiger
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Team selection is the gift of the DOR and as such, if it's wrong, he should take the blame.
I don't think alarm bells are ringing just yet but another debacle like that and
they will be. The player's meeting after last years defeat at Exeter seemed to
change the course of the season ( and saved the coaches)but then came the Prem final.
A game very similar to Saturday's. No idea how to adapt either on or off the field.
Where is the vital spark that burned in Johnno and Back?
Where is the vision of Chalkie?
Where is the intelligence of Pat?
A life long Tiger