Tigers v Quins

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Quins

Post by Smudge »

Team selection is the gift of the DOR and as such, if it's wrong, he should take the blame.
I don't think alarm bells are ringing just yet but another debacle like that and
they will be. The player's meeting after last years defeat at Exeter seemed to
change the course of the season ( and saved the coaches)but then came the Prem final.
A game very similar to Saturday's. No idea how to adapt either on or off the field.
Where is the vital spark that burned in Johnno and Back?
Where is the vision of Chalkie?
Where is the intelligence of Pat?
A life long Tiger
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Hell of an echo in here....... :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
beech

Post by beech »

I am not one who knocks Flood but I cannot understand why George Ford didn't get some game time on Saturday. He was one of only two replacements not used - the other one being Rob Andrew. I could have understood it if Toby was playing well but, assuming that he will be with England in the autumn, I would have thought that George needs at least 15 - 20 minutes per game before then. If he isn't used soon I can see him moving when his contract is up.
tf22
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

I'm afraid you are right Beech.
A life long Tiger
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Who is in line to take Fords place if he were to pick up an injury. Perhaps Cockers is protecting him , knowing that Flood is going to be away with England
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Tigerbeat wrote:Who is in line to take Fords place if he were to pick up an injury. Perhaps Cockers is protecting him , knowing that Flood is going to be away with England
So might Ford be as well at least Lancaster rates him,
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

tonyw wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:Who is in line to take Fords place if he were to pick up an injury. Perhaps Cockers is protecting him , knowing that Flood is going to be away with England
Maybe Cockers is under instructions to keep Ford under wraps so England could unleash him against Carter,Nonu and Conrad Smith :smt003 :smt003
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
tonyw

Post by tonyw »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
tonyw wrote:
Maybe Cockers is under instructions to keep Ford under wraps so England could unleash him against Carter,Nonu and Conrad Smith :smt003 :smt003
The All Blacks must be quaking in their boots at the thought of Floods tactical kicking :smt003
Southernsoftie
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Southernsoftie »

Who is in line to take Fords place if he were to pick up an injury. Perhaps Cockers is protecting him , knowing that Flood is going to be away with England

Bowden and Cornwell are both fully fit and able to play 10. Protecting George is the right thing to do but getting him some game time and ensuring he continues to develop his game is paramount for him and for Tigers.

It is also worth sending GF the message that he is valued as a bright talent not just a "benchwarmer". I do worry that he will become frustrated and disillusioned with his lack of rugby (too valuable to use in the A league but not valuable enough to get 20 mins against Saracens or Quins). I know it isn't the "Leicester way" and it certainly isn't Cocker's way but managing George is a key part of his role. I don't believe he is doing a good job on that front at the moment.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Agreed.
A life long Tiger
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

[quote="parkerd68"]Just out of curiosity, has anyone watched it back on tv? I'm not convinced Pearson was up to scratch yesterday, and I think he missed some serious going over the top/off feet in the build up to their try. I thought that that was what he was checking for and we might get away with it!
quote]

Pearson had an absolute shocker - high tackles missed and if spotted gave a "quiet word" and a pat on the back, forward passes that were not, offsides(what's that?) ignored, scrum offences, not going to the TMO when we we went over in the second half - the list is endless. Worst performance I've seen. As soon as I saw we had him I had that sinking feeling - the guys running the line weren't much better.

And before anyone gets the woong impression - I'm not blaming him for the loss - we managed to that ourselves without a plan B and stupid kicking from hand.

Angry? No Disappointed ? Extremely. Frustrated - very much so. :smt009
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Well as is the custom the reffing may have left something to be desired, but I've seen games reffed much worse than that. Austin seemed to think the officials did quite well and that's good enough for me.

The reality is, as has been the case for a few seasons now, that Leicester struggle against the better teams and just like it was as Twickers in May the best team won on the day. Better get used to that scenario, it's likely to recur a few more times this season.

We can still compete in the front row but I would have started with Cole and Stanko as I think tehchnically they are the better props, I would have brought the hairy props on after 55 minutes or so.

Yes Tom Youngs is improving but in a game like this I would have gone with Chutes' experience - again with TY as impact off the bench.

Parling and Kitchener are techically good locks but we need an enforcer around the rucks and mauls, that means we need Deacs or Slater back asap.

I have absolutely no idea why Cockers chose to start Crane in this match, big mistake in my opinion. This Saturday against Exeter maybe but not against the current champions. Not sure what's happened to Mafi though - looks but a shadow of last season.

Half backs are second class, Flood has his moments but I've always thought he was overrated. Someone please smack him and tell him to stop those aimless kicks into the opposition 22, and while you're at it teach him how to chip now and again against a quick linespeed defence.

Then teach Harrison to pass to the first receiver at chest height and not above his head or below his knees. For crying out loud - he is a professional scrum half and those are basic skills!!

Centres such as Smith and Allen, solid club players as they are, will rarely set the world alight so it's no surprise for me that we struggle to break the gain line or release runners. Talking of runners, we don't seem to have any at the moment, although Goneva looks promising in the right situation.

Not sure we we can find some inspiration as we don't have anyone in the squad that understands angles, except Smurphs and he'll be needing a zimmerframe soon.

And can someone explain what the point of Tait is? I'm no medical expert but I've had a groin injury myself but I've never known it take over a year to get it right again. Knees and backs I understand the problem but it seems to me we've bought a lemon. Have I missed something here?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

G.K wrote:Not sure what's happened to Mafi though - looks but a shadow of last season.

Didn't have a full pre-season due to being back home for the death of a close relative - I believe it was his dad. Could be physically undercooked and who knows how he's feeling emotionally?
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

voice of the crumbie wrote:
G.K wrote:Not sure what's happened to Mafi though - looks but a shadow of last season.

Didn't have a full pre-season due to being back home for the death of a close relative - I believe it was his dad. Could be physically undercooked and who knows how he's feeling emotionally?
It is amazing the criteria people use to judge the performance of players. IMHO Mafi has played well so far this season, together with Hamilton, Salvi and Goneva they have probably been the best performers in the first 4 games. I also happen to think that Flood and Allen have not played as badly as some have made out. Hey ho we are all entitled to our opinions!
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

I have avoided the forum all week after Saturdays game because, for me, that was the worst game I have seen Tigers play.

I can remember poor displays before, error-strewn games, many of them, lackadasical defensive displays, appalling kicking performances. I remember them all. But on Saturday, it was very different. When the final whistle went, I found myself feeling: 'How can that be, we havn't started playing yet?' Frankly, the scoreline flattered us if anything and I felt that Harlequins paid us too much respect based on our performance. Their intensity and off-loading made us look even more static and even when we were behind, it never felt like the intensity was ever going to be raised. There was a clear lack of leadership and not one player can in any way be proud of their performance.

Pearson didn't help, particularly with the continual offsides - it is difficult to play when the defense is onto you before the ball even reaches you but there are ways to play against that tactic. Grubbers, chips into space etc. but we never tried any of that. There needs to be a massive reaction this week or it will require a different course.
Always a Tiger