Saracens vs Tigers Saturday 15/09/12 3:30

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens vs Tigers Saturday 15/09/12 3:30

Post by Bill W (2) »

IMHO both Phibbs and Ford should have been on for the last 20 at least.

Is Cockers proving inflexible again???

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

I think Toby Flood's performance today needs to be taken with a bit of a pinch of salt. No, he didn't have a great game, but to be fair, a lot of the time, the service he was getting was shocking. There were quite a lot of passes he was picking up off his bootlaces and some which didn't even get to him. When he got good service he didn't look so bad. Also, bear in mind that Wembley is a wide pitch. If he'd kicked those touch finders at Welford Road, he would have been right on the money with them- you'll notice that the ones he missed were from the middle of the pitch and only in the first half. On top of that, his place kicking was good. Perhaps, given the service Harrison was giving (and the very lax policing of the offside line), Cockerill thought Flood better able to deal with being smacked by the Saracens forwards.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TigerAlex wrote:(and the very lax policing of the offside line),.

That is a very valid point.
Still keeping the faith!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Bill W (2) wrote:IMHO both Phibbs and Ford should have been on for the last 20 at least.

Is Cockers proving inflexible again???

:smt017
I was thinking the same Harrison and Flood were both poor in open play and Harrison especially was well below par with his passing
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

I expect Ford was quite happy keeping the bench warm, given the dross that Harrison was throwing to Flood. Toby had a stinker though. I must say though that Sarries are the death of the game that I love. Truly awful, negative, boring, defensive...it's horrible to watch and must be frustrating to play against. As Floody said in his post-match interview, they focus on the collision and fronted up. Sarries tactic of bashing the ball up and looking for width is pretty one-dimensional. It works against the lesser teams but not against the more organised physical sides. Interesting that they put shoe horn Brits into the defensive line from a Tigers line out to add another defender. I suppose it works but it's not my brand of rugby and they can keep it. Their season ticket holders deserve a medal.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

RWA wrote:I expect Ford was quite happy keeping the bench warm, given the dross that Harrison was throwing to Flood. .......... Their season ticket holders deserve a medal.

Then again he might just have been saying "Let me on boss, let me on" (as might Phibbs).

I am sure both the Sarries Season Ticket Holders will receive a medal - and a bone for their dogs!!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Bill W (2) wrote: I am sure both the Sarries Season Ticket Holders will receive a medal - and a bone for their dogs!!

...and a refund :smt023
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

fentiger wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote: I am sure both the Sarries Season Ticket Holders will receive a medal - and a bone for their dogs!!

...and a refund :smt023
And a free flight to Cape Town/Abu Dhabi/Hendon!

Still keeping the faith!
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

RWA wrote:I expect Ford was quite happy keeping the bench warm, given the dross that Harrison was throwing to Flood. Toby had a stinker though. I must say though that Sarries are the death of the game that I love. Truly awful, negative, boring, defensive...it's horrible to watch and must be frustrating to play against. As Floody said in his post-match interview, they focus on the collision and fronted up. Sarries tactic of bashing the ball up and looking for width is pretty one-dimensional. It works against the lesser teams but not against the more organised physical sides. Interesting that they put shoe horn Brits into the defensive line from a Tigers line out to add another defender. I suppose it works but it's not my brand of rugby and they can keep it. Their season ticket holders deserve a medal.
Had a chance of free tickets. Glad I'm here in Barbados instead
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

For my two penn'orth, I was disappointed with Flood throughout, regardless of the quality of the passes he was receiving. I can't accept the argument about the width of the pitch. He's a professional who prepares for the match ahead, therefore he should have known that he either needs to go for less distance or kick it harder. Harrison wasn't great and he's got a fast pass which needs accuracy work. Manu seemed to keep drifting. Smith as usual seemed too reticent to pass and missed an overlap.

At least even Barnes noticed that Sarries were offside so much. It was surprising how quick some of the sarries defence was up(!). Also, the reffing of the scrum - for both sides - was appalling.

Can't think of anything else at this point :smt002

However, it's early doors in the season and we've averaged a non bonus point win in every match. That ain't too bad, and I'm still positive about the season.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

parkerd68 wrote:For my two penn'orth, I was disappointed with Flood throughout, regardless of the quality of the passes he was receiving. I can't accept the argument about the width of the pitch. He's a professional who prepares for the match ahead, therefore he should have known that he either needs to go for less distance or kick it harder. Harrison wasn't great and he's got a fast pass which needs accuracy work. Manu seemed to keep drifting. Smith as usual seemed too reticent to pass and missed an overlap.

At least even Barnes noticed that Sarries were offside so much. It was surprising how quick some of the sarries defence was up(!). Also, the reffing of the scrum - for both sides - was appalling.

Can't think of anything else at this point :smt002

However, it's early doors in the season and we've averaged a non bonus point win in every match. That ain't too bad, and I'm still positive about the season.
TJ's (sorry assistant referees) should be able to judge offsides. And stick a flag out!

Ain't rocket science and hardly needs milti dimensional TMO's!!
Still keeping the faith!
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

I thought that match was a bit of a dissa. Also surprised at the empty blocks of seats in the stands. I thought two clubs like us and Saracens should fill a stadium okay.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Broadstaff wrote:I thought that match was a bit of a dissa. Also surprised at the empty blocks of seats in the stands. I thought two clubs like us and Saracens should fill a stadium okay.
Why do you think that Saffas can manage more than 4000 supporters?

That is about their max.
Still keeping the faith!
Crivvens
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crivvens »

Given that Sarries struggle to half fill a 17k capacity stadium for big games, I'm not sure why they'd sell out a 90k capacity stadium for a normal league game, regardless of who they were playing.

As for the match itself, the less said about it the better I think, although we played as badly as that and didn't get beat, so lets look on the bright side
Blimey...
brettclark

Post by brettclark »

Disappointed Ford didnt get a run today. Flood playing ordinary for me so far this season and with Cockers saying at the season launch that Flood & Ford will be sharing game time.. so far Ford has played only had 23 mins- I imagine he is not a happy bunny.. know doubt he needs game time to develop into the player we all think he can become... my concern would be if he continues to get 'splinters' then i fear we will lose him to one of our rivals next season.