Empty seats at Oxford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Chez
Tiger Cub

Re: Empty seats at Oxford

Post by Chez »

It pays to do a tiny bit of internet research...I looked on the football ground guide which is really helpful when us rugger fans have to put up with them, it tells you where to park and where to drink/eat etc., from this I found the Priory & ? pub, I phoned on Saturday evening to find out what time they opened and whether I could park there; the landlord was extremely helpful, and we were there at 9.50am (first there!); they made me a big mug of hot chocolate for 50p (cheapest ever!) and I was happy to pay the £2 parking for a very good cause (they're trying to send a little girl, who lost her limbs to menigitis, to Disney). Beer was good, food was good (all locally sourced, v.nice), very large crowd but plenty of room and quick service. Had a drink afterwards (entertained by the male voice choir again) before hitting the road so didn't encounter any traffic problems.
Inside the ground the stewards were extremely helpful and finding seat was no problem, although there seemed to have been an almighty cock-up in that seats had been sold twice but as there was room nobody was left stranded. Only complaint would be the extortionate £3.80 for a can of beer which wasn't even a full pint.
I too was puzzled to see all the empty seats in the South Stand to the left of the halfway line, as when I tried to buy there, there was no availability! Maybe those that had duplicate tickets had been put in the wrong stand?? :smt102
Oh well it's another ground crossed off the list :smt026
DiscoStu

Post by DiscoStu »

Genuine question to those who felt the Kassam Stadium was soulless - what do you believe gives a stadium soul? My opinion is that it's fans that give a stadium it's soul. If the Kassam had been packed to the rafters and the home fans were continually singing "Bread of Heaven", would you still have felt it to be a soulless venue?
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

I enjoyed it...a 10 minute maximum queue to get to the parking (no problem)...FREE parking (a god send...better than paying £5 and walking 3 miles to Worcester's ground for example !)...2 minute walk to the stadium....stewards near us were amazed that fans were mixing, drinking, laughing and enjoying the game (not normally seen at Oxford United home games !). Atmosphere wasn't great but that's what you get when one end is empty and the other is open...any atmosphere disappears down into the car park. Left at the final whistle, straight out and straight home....and 5 points !

No worse the the Madjeski...which is still my least favourite away venue.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

We arrived much later than planned, due to a rogue toilet seat and a stupid idea of stopping for a coffee at Cherwell Valley.
It took a hour to get into the car park. By this time there was only one steward outside F&:censored: directing us. But it was free and we had a great view from the South Stand.

I have been to a lot worse places- mainly when we play Sarries- Enfield & Watford come to mind.

I think LW will struggle, and the fact that all their games will be 'Away' will not help at all.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

DiscoStu wrote:Genuine question to those who felt the Kassam Stadium was soulless - what do you believe gives a stadium soul? My opinion is that it's fans that give a stadium it's soul. If the Kassam had been packed to the rafters and the home fans were continually singing "Bread of Heaven", would you still have felt it to be a soulless venue?
To have actually heard a peep from the Welsh fans would have been good, but every time those near us (including me and my friend who I was with) started any chants of 'Tigers' etc we got glared at by both home and visiting fans alike. Very strange indeed. Maybe we're spoiled with the atmosphere that Welford Road has or maybe I expect too much as I'm on the Crumbie Terrace for each home game....
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Bowden Tiger wrote:We arrived much later than planned, due to a rogue toilet seat...
Am I the only one thinking this is a bit odd?? :smt107
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
Bowden Tiger wrote:We arrived much later than planned, due to a rogue toilet seat...
Am I the only one thinking this is a bit odd?? :smt107
Flesh on the bones must be provided, don't know if I'll be able to sleep now, imagination is doing overtime :smt003
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Oxford are playing Swindon tonight in some (even to them) meaningless cup comp. It will still mean traffic jams as well as Thames Valley Police dogs and PSU's at the railway station and the ground. After the game, the railway becomes unusable for normal folk until the violent drunks have staggered off their trains.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Pam.B

Post by Pam.B »

Just received this from John Taylor at LW - answers the question about tickets for local schools:

"We are committed to a full community programme in the Oxford area and have already appointed a Community Network Manager who will be based at Iffley Road and will have two Rugby Development Officers to liaise and work with the university, schools and local clubs."
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

For me the Kassam has been filed in the travel destinations category that already has Edgeley Park and Vicarage Road in it - Tried it once, never again.
Always a Tiger