Tigers Catering Feedback.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

PeterB

Re: Tigers Catering Feedback.

Post by PeterB »

The bar in the Cat stand (who can cope with the name changes) is the only place that I have ever had a pint of Guinness topped up from the coke dispenser and the poor girl behind the counter could not understand why I did not want to drink it. I went onto Tiger after that at least it looks wrong when the coke goes in :smt009
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Oktoberfest, what was all that about?

No German food or beer.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

I liked the idea. But for those on the terrace it passed you by completely and after the game there was only the band, who despite being quite good lacked audience engagement.
scrum1/2
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by scrum1/2 »

Last few games have been dreadful in terms of getting a drink prior to the game, at half and full time. At the Quins game I queued for 30 minutes and just made the kick off with the teams already warmed up and out on the pitch, at half time despite being one of the first to the bar it still took best part of 10 minutes and after the game it appeared that the bar supervisor had stepped in and there were a few drinks lined up ready to serve. Surely the bar staff know that they will sell drinks so why can't they come up with a system where drinks are being poured by some staff and others are serving to reduce the waiting times. At half time and full time they should have tables full of all of the beers already poured a couple of minutes before the whistle so that they can get on top of the serving? Someone needs to look at the process of serving as well as the staff training.
Tom Tom
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tom Tom »

THE FOLLOWING WAS FROM TIGER DAD IN 2012!
This was following many months/seasons of lousy service since the CAT stand was opened.

Look at item 1

Dear all

Catering meeting Wednesday May 23rd

Present:
Simon Cohen (Tigers CEO)
Matthew Nicholson (GM Lindleys)
Jason Burns (Deputy General Manager, Lindleys)
Tiger Dad (Fans Representative)

Following a lively and open discussion about all things catering, Lindleys and Tigers agreed to the following;

1. Committed to pre-pour before KO and before HT in all bars, without fail
2. A new menu is to be trailed next season in an attempt to improve consistency and quality.
3. Additional coffee, tea, chocolate kiosks will be installed in the top concourse of the CAT
4. Re-introduce the server/ tiller combo.
5. Improve/ defining queuing lines and areas
6. Scaling up of staff and food quantities according to attendance
7. Bar and kiosk supervisors will feedback any issues to Jason so he can ensure they are addressed before the next match.
8. Improved communication between bars, kiosks and managers during match day.
9. Simon is to confirm that the Mark bar (next to the ABC) is always available at half time for all matches. Currently they are unable to commit to all games before KO due to community commitments but has agreed that it will be available for the majority of games.

Lindleys have also invited me to a pre-match briefing of the catering staff.

I was clear from what I have experienced this season, I felt standards had slipped and highlighted both the forums and my own experiences/ issues.

Jason, the new Tigers catering manager is a nice bloke and he talked about how he has processes to predict the amount of beer/ food required per match according to attendance, KO time and time of year but he does except there have been issues this season.

To summarise, Tigers and Lindleys are very keen to offer the best service and product to the fans but admit they don’t always get it right. Simon’s hands are somewhat tied due to legacy agreements but I get the feeling he is committed to improving standards where possible. The same goes for Matthew and Jason.

GET USED TO IT AND ACCEPT IT.
NO ONE WITH THE POWER TO CHANGE THINGS CARES ENOUGH OR CAN EVEN BE BOTHERED.
TheproudTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheproudTiger »

I invited a friend of mine to the "Tigers in the park" game and we met in the park.
He was very impressed and commented that they just don't have this sort of thing in Scotland and what a great family atmosphere and he couldn't wait to get in the stadium.
As I could not get him seats near me we met in the Final whistle after the game but he was 40 minutes late.
When he arrived he said he was so amazed and really annoyed at the poor bar service that he had made some notes to pass on to his training department.
He is a company director at Pizza Express and he said it was the worst service he has ever experienced and never expected this from a club of our stature.
We told him how embarrassed we were on many occasions when talking to visiting fans who all made similar comments.
He said "why don't you complain " and we said many have but nobody seems to care.
He was surprised that Everards allowed their beer to be served this way and couldn't believe that the whistle had "run out" of Hand pulled Tiger 40 minutes before the game had even started.
When we got home I showed him the Forum on the Tigers Catering Feedback.
He read it for an hour and was amazed that after all this time it has remained such a problem.
He asked if we ever see any board members in the whistle and we said only walking through it but not using it.

I told him that my Forum name is The Proud Tiger and he said perhaps it should be The Fed up Tiger.

He has a point.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Very interesting to see his perspective. It isn't just us being fussy.

I fear it will be embarrassing on Saturday when 4,000 thirsty Irishmen come to the ground.

It really is as bad as your friend has pointed out, and the situation is so rotten it almost needs an outside expert to come in, tear everything up and start again. We have the biggest crowds in the country, the biggest bar in the biggest stand in the future and yet we have COMFORTABLY the worst matchday catering in the country.

It has been this way ever since the catering was outsourced to Lindley's and has incredibly regressed even since then.

I don't imagine I'll bother on Saturday. I'll probably head in to The Pub, arrive just before kick off, then leave at full time. Good work bar staff.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Its almost certainly down to money, they employ so many young students, many who have never drunk alcohol, dont have working experience, hense no sence of urgency, really think they should pay for adults to do the job they will be drinkers and know one drink from another, but it would obviously cost more in wages, no doubt they would be quicker and sell/serve more, catch 22.

I would suggest they should go scouting in Dublin, transfer a dozen Irish barmen, they can serve dozens of customers all at the same time, yes they are usually only doing the black stuff and a bitter that I cannot remember the name, favouring the black stuff personally. :smt030 :smt030
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

I gave up drinking at the ground several years ago, sick of the service, quality and cost. You know what? I have survived and have a drink before and after the game at one of the local pubs. Would I like to have a beer at the game? Yes, but the pain, hassle and expense isn't worth it.

The beer and food is so expensive because it's the only way Lindleys can make money on the restricted sales - restricted by their own inability to sell beer and food in any quantity, surely the first target for a catering company.

Unfortunately the solution doesn't exist in talking to them, why change when the customers accept with their wallets, and a grumble, the appalling standards on offer. Obviously a boycott will hit them where it hurts and possibly make them pay attention but we all know this will never happen as there are not enough drinkers on this forum to make a difference or to put the time and energy into organising one. One thing you can be sure of is that the board of Lindleys sleep well at night. As far as Lindleys' accountants are concerned it ain't broke so why fix it?

Sorry to be so negative but Tiger Dad has made a fantastic effort to improve the situation on our behalf and look where we are after all the time - exactly where we and he started. Of course if the club let another catering company run half the bars in competition it would improve overnight.......
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

A question - what is the nature of the outsourcing? Do Tigers receive a flat fee from Lindley's? Is there any part of the deal where it is in the interests of the club for Lindley's to sell more?
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

GS, I think you've summed it up in a nutshell. Lindleys know they have a captive audience so why should they put themselves out? Also, as you said, the club most likely gets x amount off the top so it's happy as well.

It would be great if we could persuade a significant percentage of the crowd to boycott the bars and food outlets for just a couple of consecutive home matches but it won't happen. I enjoy a pint at a match as much as the next bloke but I do not and will not accept what is currently on offer at Welford Road. For such a high-profile club which the Tigers are, the catering standards are a disgrace and an embarrassment.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Many organisations when they outsource think that they can leave them to it and don't have to commit any resources to overseeing the relationship and the service they provide. It's a classic mistake.

The club needs to take an holistic view. While Lindley's might be the caterers visitors to the ground see Leicester Tigers has the service provider. The service, experience and value for money they receive they associate with the club not with Lindleys. And your whole match day experience covers getting information about games, buying tickets, entrance to the ground, food and drink, stewarding, seating, entertainment on and off the pitch, the game, exiting, etc. I think we all agree one of the biggest let downs of the match day experience is the catering. The impression I get is the club just don't get it.

To be fair I am not sure this is just a Tigers problem. Just to relate a couple of stories. Wembley for NFL. You can't take anything in to the ground. When you get in, you have to buy some rubbish beer in plastic bottles for an extortionate amount of money. You are then told the lid must be removed before taking it away. BUT the young lady who served me actually looked at me to do that! Come on love I said, you've charged me £14 for 4 of these monstrosities, surely you can help me removed the lids!!! At Twickenham a couple of years back someone gave me two Guinesses and then just walked off. I think somebody else was supposed to take the money but clearly communication was zero and despite me holding out my money and trying to attract attention I was blanked, so I walked off. With the beers I might add! My local theatre charges should an extortionate amount for a glass of wine, me and the wife have ditched the idea. There is nothing to stop you taking your own anyway.

In some ways it's not the end of the world. You can go to a local pub and just get to the ground just before kick off. And I am not that desperate that I need a pint at half time. But that is a cop out and a shame. Let's face it, we don't expect them to be the cheapest, we don't expect to have no wait, we don't expect to have the best of the best. We just wanted something half decent.

The club need to understand it is their responsibility, their reputation and their match day. They have to manage the service whether done by a third party or not.
MJB

Post by MJB »

GS wrote:I gave up drinking at the ground several years ago, sick of the service, quality and cost. You know what? I have survived and have a drink before and after the game at one of the local pubs. Would I like to have a beer at the game? Yes, but the pain, hassle and expense isn't worth it.
Completely agree with you GS. A few seasons ago my mates and I gave up trying to get a drink at the ground, both before kick off and at half time, for the same reasons as a lot of people - very poor service and increasingly expensive low quality beer. We now have a pint or two and something to eat before the game in the city centre, then head to one of the local pubs for a drink afterwards. Unfortunately I think the reputation of the in-ground catering has spread far and wide - you only have to look through posts from visiting supporters to see how many are asking for pub recommendations rather than asking about the facilities at Welford Road. A club of our size and stature show be doing much better than this.
TheproudTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheproudTiger »

I agree with you Ourla - what is happening here is "Brand damaging"
Very easy to loose and VERY hard to recover.
I am amazed at what is going on and even more amazed that the "powers to be " let it happen. :smt017
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Just filled in a match day survey (105 questions!!!!!) in order to highlight the problem. Mentioned this thread a couple of times. Maybe others want to do the same.

http://www.matchdaysurveys.com/index.ph ... a6&login=1

One thing that caught my eye was:

"Are you aware of the customer service text number to assist with any matchday issues?"

This led me to this:

http://www.leicestertigers.com/news/20719.php

So if you can be bothered text 88010, type TIGERS and your message and highlight issues that way.