Richard Thorpe from LI

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

x24jue

Richard Thorpe from LI

Post by x24jue »

Just seen this on twitter

Richard Thorpe ‏@RichardJAThorpe
Thanks for a great decade of rugby London Irish. Now for a new challenge... signed with Leicester Tigers this afternoon #happylad
Retweeted by Tigers Unofficial
x24jue

Re: Richard Thorpe from LI

Post by x24jue »

He has now deleted it from twitter?
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Would be very surprised if this ended up happening, we're already stacked deep with back rowers so no need for one who rarely started in a pretty poor Irish pack.
alex_111
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by alex_111 »

The Rugby Paper seem to think its a done deal, also mentions that we looked at the elder Waldrom
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

CitizenSmiff wrote:Would be very surprised if this ended up happening, we're already stacked deep with back rowers so no need for one who rarely started in a pretty poor Irish pack.
He's a good player, and covers all three back-row positions, so would always be useful. But as you say, utility back-rowers are hardly the highest priority for this squad, given who we already have. Not going to be a first choice player, so unless Newby and Croft are out for much longer than expected it seems like a strange signing. There are enough decent players in the squad who aren't getting game time as it is.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Perhaps you ought to join the conspiracy side like Crumblies, Bill and me who suspect that all is not entirely well at Tigers HQ. The signals are that Croft, BY and Newby plus possibly other back rowers are not going to be seen this side of Xmas, and there is also the hint that the talented Mr Morris ain't a happy bunny. What money on Tait not recovering BTW?

This is turning into an 'all change' season - could be fun!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

and there is also the hint that the talented Mr Morris ain't a happy bunny
Niall Morris? If he's no happy then why did he sign a contract extension at the back end of last season?
The signals are that Croft, BY and Newby plus possibly other back rowers are not going to be seen this side of Xmas
Croft will not be seen before November I don't reckon, Newby and Woods I have real doubts over their long term fitness but Crane should be good to go soon enough, he's been doing water boy duty long enough and will have a full pre season. Ben Youngs won't be seen until late November/early December time I don't reckon, hence Phibbs coming in for 4 months.

All bets are off on when Tait will be fit but I'd rather see us give de Carpienter, Cain (who looked classy in the 7s) or another young academy player a bench spot and LV Cup time over a 27 year old who has had an underwhelming career to date.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

sam16111986 wrote:All bets are off on when Tait will be fit but I'd rather see us give de Carpienter, Cain (who looked classy in the 7s) or another young academy player a bench spot and LV Cup time over a 27 year old who has had an underwhelming career to date.
Niether of the aforementioned are even similar to Tait, so they wouldn't get game time instead of Tait anyway.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Niether of the aforementioned are even similar to Tait, so they wouldn't get game time instead of Tait anyway.
Apologies for my poorly constructed sentence. The reference to Tait and the preference of utilising those academy players were different topics. No idea when Tait will be back. I would prefer we utilised Cain, de Carpienter etc rather than signing the 27 year old Richard Thorpe.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Now confirmed by London Irish although it doesn't say which club he has gone to.
http://www.london-irish.com/news/Irish85447.ink
Hehehehehehehehe
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Curiouser and curiouser!
Tigers - true Champions!
boon

Post by boon »

if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I have always been impressed by him - he is not big for a back rower but he can shift.
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

sam16111986 wrote:
Apologies for my poorly constructed sentence. The reference to Tait and the preference of utilising those academy players were different topics. No idea when Tait will be back. I would prefer we utilised Cain, de Carpienter etc rather than signing the 27 year old Richard Thorpe.
Fair play :smt023 I've not seen much of the the other 2 so I can't really make a judgement on preference but I rate Thorpe as a pretty dynamic back-rower.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

TTE's brother would float my boat more perosonally, although he has Bad Knees which I presume would make hima risky signing, for those who haven't seen him, a true NZ 7, unlucky to be playing at the same time as McCaw.
To win is not as important as playing with style!