Oxford Welsh game - All Threads merged here.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Oxford Welsh game - All Threads merged here.

Post by Old Hob »

According to the local paper, Oxford Welsh may start off on the wrong foot by signing the orange Henson boy. There also seem to be some sensible comments about players not demanding too much money.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/yourne ... sh/?ref=mr

On the main page of the paper is a poll about whether or not th emove is a good thing; so far 75% in favour.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Oxford Welsh

Post by Bill W (2) »

75% of how many?

Will they get > 10000 attendance?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

They could well get 10000,mostly wearing Tigers colours though.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Will they get > 10000 attendance?

:smt017
Well, as we live in a small market town 15 miles from Oxford, my wife & I are very much looking forward to being there for the 1st game of the season.

Unfortunately for the Exiles, we'll be wearing Scarlet, Green & White jerseys & shouting "Tigers!" till we're hoarse.

Still, it'll be nice not have to drive 90 miles up the M40 & M69 to see a decent rugby team.

Philip
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

So 9997 Tigers fans 2 men and a dog!!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

Bill W (2) wrote:So 9997 Tigers fans 2 men and a dog!!

The 2 men & the dog send their apologies, but they have to be in The Parks, to watch the cricket... :smt002
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

PGD wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:So 9997 Tigers fans 2 men and a dog!!

The 2 men & the dog send their apologies, but they have to be in The Parks, to watch the cricket... :smt002
Applogies acxepted!!

:smt023
Still keeping the faith!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Requiring your core fans to drive over an hour for a home game is a bit of a big ask, perhaps explaining the poor turnout for the Championship final. The Oxfordshire locals have singularly refused to take Wasps, a club with far greater historical prestige, into their hearts so I can't see the Exiles pulling in gates of much more than 5-6 thousand home fans.
chris4xy

Post by chris4xy »

To those of us living in Oxfordshire High Wycombe is the other side of the Chilterns, out of Oxfordshire and therefore not local. 4 - 6000 might be a bit optimistic. Oxford is not a great place to generate excitement amongst spectators.
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

CitizenSmiff wrote:The Oxfordshire locals have singularly refused to take Wasps, a club with far greater historical prestige.
Really? Granted Wasps have been condsiderably more successful since the introduction of the league system in England, but London Welsh provided the core of the '71 Lions team to New Zealand and were the arguably the best club team in the UK in the late 60's and early 70's.

However me and Mrs O will be at the Kassam on September 2nd - looking forward to it.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

CitizenSmiff wrote:Requiring your core fans to drive over an hour for a home game is a bit of a big ask, ....
Seems to me that there is nothing unusual about this - many, possibly the majority, of Tigers fans do exactly this. And we don't even know here most of their current fans come from.

I still think that the Kassam and Oxford are the least of their worries - masses of potential BUT ONLY IF THEY ARE SUCCESSFUL ON THE PITCH.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
ThePriory

Pub for your visit to Oxford

Post by ThePriory »

Firstly apologies if this is posted in the wrong section, admins feel free to move the thread if so.

The reason of my post is to make you aware of The Priory Pub next to the Kassam Stadium in tome for your fortcoming visit to Oxford. We are a stones throw from the ground and the only pub within walking distance of the stadium.

We offer a wide selection of beers/ales/ciders/lagers all served from inside and outside of the pub. Inside we have screens up so you can watch whatever live sport you choose. If there's a particular drink you'll like us to get in for you then that's certainly a possibility. We do it for our regulars in the way of farmhouse ciders and cask ales so give me a shout if that's of interest.

Outside we have a very spacious marquee which will host 2 maybe even 3 fully stocked outside bars. Fast service is key to us and we are used to big, expectiant crowds.

On top of that we will be offering hot and cold food (bbq & baguettes) onsite parking and most importantly all very friendly bar staff!

We've got a proven track record so I hope to see you over The Priory for the London Welsh v Leciester game in September.
Last edited by ThePriory on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Pub for your visit to Oxford

Post by mol2 »

Do you have real ale or is it fizzy football stuff?
ThePriory

Re: Pub for your visit to Oxford

Post by ThePriory »

As an example this is what we put on for the LW final game.

marquee bar(s) for ales; Brakspear/Hobgoblin/EPA/Pedegree/Churchills.
Inside the main pub bar; Hobgoblin/Brakspear.
london pride in 500ml bottles
San Miguel/Thatchers/Carlsberg in marquee on draught.

Plenty of choice.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I accept traffic flow in Leicester is dreadful, I doubt most of us take an hour to drive in to Welford Road and I'd have said the vast majority of regulars live in Leicestershire.
I'm sure a number come in from far afield but by car you can get into Leicester from pretty well anywhere in Leicestershire in less than an hour.

It may be even harder for their fans to get to Oxford than us - the tube doesn't go that far! It may well be that a number of locals may go to their home games just to see Premiership rugby but they are probably more likely to be supporters of the away side like PDG.