Oxford Welsh game - All Threads merged here.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

A visit to Oxford in October

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I have bought my Eurostar tickets to visit the Kassam stadium and see what my beloved Stade Français can do in the Amlin challenge cup against London Welsh.

I guess I'll take a train down in Paddington to Oxford.
Which raises a few questions :

what is there to visit on a Sunday ? I suppose that the Unis are closed and the students too drunk to walk ! Is there still a possibility to take a walk near the mint of a nation's elite? (Boy, my English is improving at the prospect!) :smt003

Where should I pick my hotel, in other terms is the Kassam ("the stone" in arabic, if my recollection is correct)close enough to the town centre or should I investigate the phone book for taxi's.

If you have any idea of bed and breakfast (the breakfast being nice and English) and suitable pub, I'd be delighted to know.

Thanks all for your kinf help, go Tigers, go ! :smt023
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
chris4xy

Re: A visit to Oxford in October

Post by chris4xy »

Not too hot on hotels in Oxford. The Ashmoleon Museum should be open on a Sunday. Also the Botanical Gardens in High Street may be open and they are right on the river. The Kassam Stadium is on the outside of the ring road. You will need to make use of taxis or public transport. Try this link http://www.visitoxfordandoxfordshire.co ... ial-tours/ for other ideas.
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Thank you very much, Chris ! :smt023 What is the famous pub or club downtown? I'd like to water the defeat or celebrate the victory with my beloved team! :smt026
tigerfeet13
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by tigerfeet13 »

The Pitt Rivers museum is definitely worth a visit.

http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/

Been there many times and discover something new and interesting each time.
Rugby Special... Is the Tigers!
PGD
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by PGD »

tigerfeet13 wrote:The Pitt Rivers museum is definitely worth a visit.

http://www.prm.ox.ac.uk/

Been there many times and discover something new and interesting each time.
Ze Stade Fan:
The Pitt Rivers has reopened after major redevelopment. I've not been since then, but all reports I've read in the Oxford Times are that it's still as delightfully idiosyncratic as it was: eg, a cabinet of shrunken heads next to one of butterflies.

Noteworthy pubs in the city include, on St Giles, the Eagle & Child, locally known as "The Bird & Baby". It's where Tolkien & other Oxford writers met for a beer. The Kings Arm's, on The Broad, is a well know student watering hole & there are other little gems tucked away down side streets a short walk away from Carfax Tower, nominally the centre of the city, at the junction of The High, Cornmarket, St Aldates & Queen St.

It's an interesting city; I lived there for a few years (so I can't help with B&B advice!). If you PM me I'll dig out other recommendations. Note - in October the students will be back. Also, bring credit card or lots of sterling; it's not a cheap place.

cheers
Philip
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

Enjoy your visit.

As said above, the Stadium is off the ring road. Bus or taxi.

Oxford. When you look at a map, remember that in the historic centre nothing is very far from anything else!

Speaking personally, my first choice of Oxford museum to visit would without doubt be The Asmolean Museum on Beaumont Street, an amazing place as a newly-refurbished building as well as classical collections.

Not too far away, a couple of minutes walk up St Giles is The Eagle & Child ('Bird & Baby') meeting place of The Inklings (Tolkein etc) and some like The Lamb & Flag, opposite.

The most famous University buildings are in the very centre, mainly in the area between Broad Street ('The Broad') and High Street ('The High' - you're picking up the local terminology now!).

Between the High and the Broad you will find in close proximity The University Church, The Radcliffe Camera, The Bodlian Library, The Sheldonian Theatre (where degrees are conferred) and the 'Bridge of Sighs', with many of the most historic Colleges filling the spaces in between and either side of these main streets.

My favourite central pubs are The Turf, which is up a tiny alleyway(!) on New College Lane, just past the Bridge of Sighs, and The Bear near Oriel College. But don't get lost!!

Down the hill from the centre point (Carfax) is Christ Church, the College founded by Cardinal Wolsey, with the famous Tom Tower and Oxford's Cathedral as its chapel!

There is a lovely walk through Christ Church Meadow and the Botanical Gardens to Magdalen College ('Maudlin'), and this links up again with The High.

Places to stay. Unless you want to stay at The Randolph (opp. The Ashmolean), use internet tools. One with a good customer rating, the location of which you can see on Googlemap.

Good wishes,
James
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Oxford Welsh

Post by RWA »

Email from London Welsh...saying that tickets will be sent to Tigers in the next couple of days...."you won't miss out on the action "
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

Thnk you very much for the info, this is much appreciated. Alas, alas, it seems that the Lodon Welsh are not sure where the game is going to take place. I definitely hope this is Oxford in the end but they are said to be looking for a place in greater London. (Aw, come on !) :smt017
Nik
Super User
Super User

Post by Nik »

I can't do with phoning the ticket office any longer so i wrote to the Managing Director this morning. John Taylor replied promply and did say that they have had continuing issues with the new ticketing system that they have purchased - they have been working all out to get this issue fixed though. He has requested that we don't give up on them just yet!! he sends his apologies and can only say that he has been informed that they are close to resolving all of the issues.

I'll leave it until after the postman arrives next Tuesday, if my tickets haven't arrived a b1tch fit will ensue :smt002 :smt005
Life was like a box of chocolates - until I ate them! :smt061
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Best update I can give:

I looked on their site yesterday. Only limited availability for South Stand (one side of pitch). Either rubbish seats beyond the Try line (lots avilalble) or odd seats dotted elsewhere.

Rang very helpful guy who said they would be making North Stand tickets available soon, as I wanted 5 tickets together, I took the decision to wait. Glad I did that has now been opened up, I've just bought 5 tickets approximately on the halfway line, and halfway back. Its £26 for adult tickets in central area, be careful though they then sting you with a booking fee, in my case £7.50 (it may be £1.50 per ticket, but it could be £7.50 standard charge.

If your interested go to www.london-welsh.co.uk, select tickets button top right and the rest is fairly straight forward apart from working out where the chuffing heck you are on the block you choose. You will need to register with them before you can buy, but its a pretty painless exercise.

Hope the info helps someone.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

Oh there was no indication of how/when the tickets would be dispatched or made available. So I rang the 'very nice man' again he said that they printing the tickets by the end of the week and they would be dispatched then. This sounds consistent with Nik's post earlier.

Note to our ticket office they were nice and OK, but not as good as you. Still you have had more practice.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

Crumblies....thanks...got 2 in the North Stand today....bring it on !
Chez
Tiger Cub

Post by Chez »

Well that's just fine and dandy - just knew this would happen! Bit the bullet and bought my tickets the other day in the cheap seats, as they said they only 'might' open the north stand and I didn't want to miss out...
Wonder if they'd change them???
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

There always seem to be plenty of buses chugging around Oxford. The station is a 10 minute walk from the colleges and city centre, something to do with the university not wanting close proximity with new technology.
byrontiger

Post by byrontiger »

Hello,Stade fan :smt039
I am upset to hear that the game may be not held in Oxford.
You have already had a lot of good help.
However, I am Oxford born and my daughter is at Balliol.
Please feel free to PM if game in Oxford.
And their revenge is as the tiger's spring,
Deadly, and quick and crushing.