Brett Deacon

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Brett Deacon

Post by DickyP »

According to today's Rugby Paper the return of Brett is now a done deal and will be signed this week. A one year deal with the option of a 2nd.

I for one will be glad to see him back - excellent back-row cover in the absence of Waldrom, Croft etc. And he can cover 2nd row.

Given that he's just 30 (2 years younger than his brother) he should have some good miles in him yet. He should also fit right in without any culture shock (perhaps unlearn some bad habits picked up in the two years he's been away).
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Brett Deacon

Post by MJ Chairman »

Wonder what the basis for his return is. He is not going to get in the side ahead of Crane, Waldrom, Croft, Mafi, or Newby.
Maybe replacing Pienar as the senior pro in the development team.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Quoted reason is for back-row cover for Croft etc. Not to mention losing him and Waldrom to the EPS (and possibly Crane as well).

He is also good cover for 2nd Row with ongoing injuries to Slater and his brother, especially with loss of Skivington, and Parling and Kitchener both likely to be in EPS. Also Tonga have at least one fixture during the AIs so we may well lose Steve Mafi as well.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

My first reaction was why? He left us to get regular first team with Glaws,that didn't work out and he's come back as cover?Doesn't seem like a career move.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

tigerburnie wrote:My first reaction was why? He left us to get regular first team with Glaws,that didn't work out and he's come back as cover?Doesn't seem like a career move.
Don't think he was getting many starts, and the arrival of Morgan would make those less likely.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Not to mention he'd not had his contract renewed by Gloucester! Had to go somewhere if he wants to eat.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I like the lad,played rugby with his Dad,just looks like it didn't work out moving away from us,wish him well and hope he gets plenty of game time.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Think this signing is like the signing of Matt Cornwall, not gonna get much starts, but will be a great squad player and reliable if we ever get stuck with injuries.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I cannot help but wonder why this signing is justified (within the salary cap) and Horacio's was not.

One will at best be a bit player the other could be a match winner.

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

A pretty useful signing considering he won't be costing us much in wages, is a known quantity and can cover in the second row which might prove crucial if we lose Kitchener along with Parling during the Six Nations. With Skivington and Green gone and Deacon Snr's injury worries we are a bit short at lock.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Bill W (2) wrote:I cannot help but wonder why this signing is justified (within the salary cap) and Horacio's was not.

Because one would be a six-figure commitment for only marginal availability in a well-covered position and the other a 5 figure one for reliable availability in a one that isn't!
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

DickyP wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:I cannot help but wonder why this signing is justified (within the salary cap) and Horacio's was not.

Because one would be a six-figure commitment for only marginal availability in a well-covered position and the other a 5 figure one for reliable availability in a one that isn't!
Plus who is to say a try-saving tackle by a second or back row forward doesn't win a match?

Yet again the individual with over 30,000 posts to his name attempts to alter the direction of a post by digging up one of his well-gnawed bones to have another chew on it.

Horacio Agulla and Billy Twelvetrees have left the club - live with it.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

I expressed the view sometime ago that RC was looking for a scapegoat to beat others over the head with, unfortunately Horacio was it. I still hold that view.
stevetelcom2000
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by stevetelcom2000 »

Not a done deal yet so I'm told. Another club also Interested may well see him playing in red next season. Hopefully it will be Tigers, hes a Leicestershire lad, it's where he should be playing his rugby. Top bloke as well.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Must admit the trip to Oxford crossed my mind too,sounds like a better career move for him,but again wish him well where ever he plies his trade.