South Africa 3rd Test

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Broadstaff

South Africa 3rd Test

Post by Broadstaff »

So a draw. And yet I feel more disappointed than after either of the first two tests. In my opinion England will never have a better chance to beat the Springboks. I thought England played with incredibly little ambition (Farrell has a lot of work to do if he is going to be an attacking fly half and develop his game beyond the aimless kick), we lacked leadership after Flood's departure and throughout gave away the dumbest of penalties and seemed to not understand the laws at all. Great opportunity thrown away in my opinion.
Last edited by Broadstaff on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: South Africa 3rd Test

Post by Bill W (2) »

Broadstaff wrote:Great opportunity thrown away in my opinion.
Concur. Same could be said of the whole tour.

What has Slancaster learnt?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Lets keep it in context. Its Englands best result against South Africa since 2006, with the Boks winning the last 9 test matches. A fantastic effort with a young and inexperienced team.

Many predicted a beating for England on this tour, but it hasnt transpired at all with just a net 15 point defecit over 3 tests. The last time England toured South Africa in 2007 they conceded more than 100 points in 2 tests.
TomR96
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TomR96 »

Couldn't agree more, ever since Owen Farrell came on, all he did was kick. A great chance just as Flood came off, on the Boks' 5 meter, and he tries a grubber kick through. Why? :smt017 We have to score from that. I though all the Tigers lot played fantastically, TTTE was great, controlled the scrym and made fantastic carries. Geoff Parling played awesome in defence, attack and the line out. Dan Cole did well to keep the Beast quite. But by far Tuilagi was my MOTM. Got passed the gainline every single time he had the ball, great in defence, keep him at inside centre.

My England Dream Team:
Prop: Dan Cole
Hooker: Dylan Hartley
Prop: Alex Corbiesero
Lock: Geoff Parling
Lock: Tom Croft
Flanker: Chris Robshaw ©
Flanker Tom Woods
Number 8: Thomas Waldrom
Scrum Half: Ben Youngs
Fly-Half: Toby Flood
Wing: Ben Foden
Inside Centre: Anthony Allen
Outside Centre: Manu Tuilagi
Wing: Chris Ashton
Full Back: Alex Goode

Replacements:
Rob Hawkins
Joe Marler
Tom Palmer
Ben Morgan
Danny Care
Freddie Burns
Jonny May
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

Never mind SL, what have we learnt? To be fair - nothing - we all said the bench was weak and Farrell couldn't cut it. And we were proved right.

:smt022
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

"We are gutted not to have won the game, we wanted to win it and the series, but there are plenty of positives we can take out of it"

The positives being?

We (England) have two decent scrum halves;
We have only one decent fly half;
Reasonable choice for back 3;
Fairly mediocre choices in the pack, with no strength in depth and no impact subs;
Only one decent centre.

Drawing board. Back to.
Still keeping the faith!
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

What we have learnt is that this England team is able to do what no Welsh, Irish or Scottish team has done in history...which is to avoid defeat in a test match away in South Africa.

Its only the 4th time in history a home country (England) has either won or drawn a test in South Africa.

When its considered how many great teams and players have gone down there and been whitewashed, it puts into perspective what the team achieved tonight.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

As soon as Flood went off I thought that's the end of any chance of attacking play or scoring tries and so it proved. Well played the Leicester boys and Goode.

Hope Toby and Ben's injuries are not too serious , otherwise England may come calling for Harrison - Ford
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Props did fine.
Hartley over rated need Youngs senior and George to step up to the mark.
2nd row Need Lawes back to partner Geoff.
Back row Waldrom, Croft, Woods/Robshaw.
Half Backs Ben and Toby.
Wings Ashton and Foden
Centres Manu has to play 13. 12 has to anyone but Fazlet, who can put Manu into some space.
Fullback Goode/Brown

Team is young enough to take England forward, and fit in anyone who develops before the 2015 world cup.
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

In hindsight, England were brave and deserved a draw.

However--surely Slancaster must now realise Fazlet just isnt anyway near International standard--he gummed up the whole works.

i'll bet even Wellsy and Johnno would prefer Cipriani... !!!

And another who really is terrible is Hartley--if you see a recording of the series clock how many tackles he misses...
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I feel the squad has done well,better results than I expected,so credit where it's due.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

Manu has to develop an off load and passing game toreally become devasting. It can be done, look at M'Nonu.
sjm
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by sjm »

The fact is we had a chance to win the match but it was blown in the end by some awful kicking and i know Farrell is only 20ish as SKY keep on telling us as some length,also a captain who is flaky at best and as soon as i found out i did say he would be sin-binned and this is not a case of hindsight but i agree with what has been posted. So over the 3 tests i would say that Foden and Ashton both lucky to play in all 3 matches Fullback due to injures can not be judged but Goode did well, centres Manu could have been dropped after the 2nd test but lets not forget him was playing out of position but played well today Flyhalf it has to be Toby unless Farrell learns to pass some of the instead of kicking(poorly) all the time Scrumhalf toss up between BY and i hate to say it care, now this is where it gets interesting the front row IMHO only Dan Cole isthe only one to stand out the same goes in the second row Parling stood out and in the back row Robshaw as captian TTTE took his chance with both hands and that leaves Croft to come in for Johnson who had two good games but you can forget about last week and then Courtney (thug) Lawes into the 2nd row so as far as i can see we need an inside centre AA maybe or if he could pass OF but we have to see how Ford goes next season
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

We need a decent hooker. Hartley is a liability imho
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Without showing any Tigers bias I think the England team should be the following if all players are fit

1. Corbs
2. Jamie George
3. Cole
4. Lawes
5 Parling
6 Croft
7 Robshaw (C)
8 Waldrom
9 B Youngs
10 Flood
11 Joseph
12 A Allen
13 M Tuilagi
14 Foden
15 Brown

Subs:
Tom Youngs
Marler
Woods
Goode
Ford
Barritt
Care
+ Tighthead
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.