HC Cup next season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Re: HC Cup next season

Post by tigerburnie »

Not that it matters,but when the two Welsh teams names went in,why was the Sinners group,not included?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerMuz

Post by TigerMuz »

Regurgitating what others have already said, but it could have been better and it could have been worse. Toulouse have not looked quite as dominant in recent seasons in the HC, Ospreys never fulfil their potential in Europe and Treviso must be regarded as two 5-pointers if we have aspirations of winning the cup. Undoubtedly a tough group, but look at Pool 5 (Leinster, Clermont, Scarlets & Exeter) and Pool 1 (Munster, Edinburgh, Saracens & Racing) and you can see that some big teams will leave the competition early. I am quietly confident so long as prioritise HC performance from Match 1 and not wait until the middle matches to buck up our ideas.

Laughing at people slipping on the treacherous Crumbie Stand steps since 2004
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

According to Dean Ryan on Sky Sports we have the 'group of death' yet again!
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

TigerMuz wrote:Treviso must be regarded as two 5-pointers
Comments like this are really annoying. Treviso at home have given a lot of teams a run for their money. It wont be easy at their place. The key will be how we perform away to Toulouse and Ospreys. As a minimum we must target some sort of win home and away to Ospreys and Trevsio.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

BJ. wrote:
chinnjamie wrote: A decent couple of away days though for the fans.
And then there's Ospreys! :smt002
Looking at tier 3 I wasnt going to jumping for joy having to go to any of those home towns.

Lets get behind them, pool of death or not
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Pools 3 & 6 are weak. Quins have a doddle. Chiefs really do have the Pool of Death! We are in the second worse pool IMHO.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Did the Merc have some insider knowledge about the draw? From an article published before the draw, they managed to get two out of the three:

For every trip to dour Swansea to face the Ospreys, there is always the alternative that is the French Riviera for Perpignan, the possibility of the gorgeous Italian city of Treviso or the pub-laden Irish capital of Dublin.

Full article @ http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/L ... story.html
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Toulouse aren't the force they were and will miss Servat next season. Obviously they have a huge budget and we will have to see who arrives close season.
Likewise Ospreys are losing Williams, Bowe and a couple of others so will be interesting.
Absolute minimum has to be 3 home wins, 1 away win, and 2 losing bonus points
Chesterfield Chris
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Chesterfield Chris »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:
TigerMuz wrote:Treviso must be regarded as two 5-pointers
Comments like this are really annoying. Treviso at home have given a lot of teams a run for their money. It wont be easy at their place. The key will be how we perform away to Toulouse and Ospreys. As a minimum we must target some sort of win home and away to Ospreys and Trevsio.
I agree Smurphs but getting/not getting 5 points away at Treviso might be the difference between qualifying and not :smt018
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

Let's hope we learn from last year's naive mistake when we failed to realise the importance of winning at home by more points than we lose away against the same team.

Both Clermont and Ulster knew that if they lost at Leicester by fewer points than we lost at their places, they would go through to the quarter finals instead of us.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Another year of agonising over whether we'll escape the group phase, oh to switch places with Quins right now. It could be worse but not by much, ending up in a group with two league champions isn't ideal by anybody's standards. My prediction- Saracens, Toulouse, Quins, Ulster, Leinster, Toulon to win their pools, Tigers and Clermont best runners up.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

CitizenSmiff wrote:Another year of agonising over whether we'll escape the group phase, oh to switch places with Quins right now. It could be worse but not by much, ending up in a group with two league champions isn't ideal by anybody's standards. My prediction- Saracens, Toulouse, Quins, Ulster, Leinster, Toulon to win their pools, Tigers and Clermont best runners up.
How could you Citizen? Boon and Crumblies will be upset with you. What no Saints the best English team in Europe! :smt003 :smt003
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Let's be honest, it was a rubbish draw. :smt009

We could have had several weaker teams - bit like Quins got, or Group 6!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We now need all our players fit and in pre-season training from the off,with that luxury,we can win this pool.My opinion is we need to get through the best teams in Europe to win it,so why not start with home and aways against a couple of tough ones,rather than a one off game away from home.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

If we go undefeated in the group stage then we could eliminate both Toulouse and Ospreys from the knockout stages. :smt001