Favourite match/moment of the season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Maximus66

Favourite match/moment of the season

Post by Maximus66 »

Still feeling blue, but amongst the gloom would like to remember some of our finer moments for 2011/12.

Favourite match: Beating Saints at Franklins Gardens. Highlight of my year! :smt038

Favourite moment: George Ford's wonderful cross-field kick to Niall Morris to score from against Falcons at home. We were on our feet cheering such a sublime piece of skill. :smt026
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Favourite match/moment of the season

Post by kpb »

Match of the season,Quins away.

Atmosphere of the season,Sarries Semi final.

Moment of the season,Geordan Murphy drop goal to clinch the game at Vicarage road.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Match of the Season: Saints away (dominated the game IMO), run close by Saints home and Quins away.

Moment(s) of the season: Can't decide between two, but they're the same player - Horacio Agulla - his chip/chase/catch and try against Wuss away was sublime and His Chip/Chase/Catch/Offload for Alex T to score away against Saints (think the latter just pips it for me as it took more awareness than his own try)
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by maskedsquid »

Moment of the season: Steve Mafi's tap tackle on Tom May when the Saints centre looked to be away down the wing for a try at Welford Road. Never heard such a cheer for a tackle before.
It's only cheating if you get caught.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

At last !! People not whinging & complaining but celebrating the good things we do !!

Match of the season has to be Quins away as both teams gave it their all right to the end whilst Saints at their place by even Mallinders admission were poor - not that takes any pleasure away of course!!

Atmosphere v Sarries was great , quite agree.

Geordan's drop at Vicarage Road was a great moment - I had spent the previous 5 minutes shouting 'kick it between the ******* posts' so he must have heard me, even if they had to repaint the crossbar afterwards!!

And Agulla's chip and offload to Saints was a classy piece of work, and reminded so much of Amorosino's score in a losing game at Vicarage Road the previous season.

Well done guys.......at lot of pleasure and some pain along the way too.I'll gladly be back for more next season.
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

maskedsquid wrote:Moment of the season: Steve Mafi's tap tackle on Tom May when the Saints centre looked to be away down the wing for a try at Welford Road. Never heard such a cheer for a tackle before.
That was one of many moments of the season for me, If Tom May had scored I think we would have probably lost that game.

Tuilagi Try set up and created by Horacio another.

GM drop kick against sarries

Manu Knocking Goode and Botha out with his charge, which ended up with a magic offload by Newbs and finished off by Mafi.

GF chip to Morris.

The list goes on, but the majority happened in the latter stages of the league
MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MelChannerFan »

Mulipola throwing Tonga'uiha into touch!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

MelChannerFan wrote:Mulipola throwing Tonga'uiha into touch!
^^ This is a reason why I like threads like this, I'd just about forgotten all about this :smt003 It's good that there's diversity in our memories and opinions of the good points, helps us all remember good points we'd maybe forgotten.

Although I would've described it as 'Ragdolling' Tonga'uiha into touch myself :smt002 :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

One of my favourite moments was in the game against Gloucester where Flood put the ball up from a free kick for Twelvetrees to chase, forcing May to knock it on. Matt Smith beautifully mopped up and offloaded to Waldrom who sprinted and dived into the corner ...

... and aquaplaned into touch.
Bertos

Post by Bertos »

A couple more to add to the list:

Agulla's try in the final minute of a tense home game v Saints that confirmed the result.

Julian White holding the LV Cup trophy on a lap of honour before one home match (v Glaws?) and all the other players refusing to take it off him.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Smithy carrying Ashton over the line from 15m out!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

it would be nice for someone in the club to put a little montage together ( they have access to all the footage and the tchnical skills of the analysts)and bung a link onto youtube.

as I thought about for a moment all I kept getting in my mind were to sections towards the end of the season where NEW YOUNG players were doing remarkable things ..

.. sublime kicking from hand by George ford particulary in the LV cup - rolling it up into the corner or beautifully weighted hanging Garry Owens ... or charges and rampaging by Kitchener or devastating scrumaging and recking ball runs by Loggo or what about that burst of pace by Toms Toungs to score

Mix those in with some of the great trays and smashing tackles and I think you may get a lot of hits on youtube!
adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by adamv6 »

Smithy carrying Ashton over the line from 15m out!
+1 :smt023

Ironically, one of my favourite moments of the season was Andy Powell putting Waldrom in his back pocket within 2 mins of the being on the pitch when we played Sale at Edgeley Park. I was sat in the stand, and as Tigers fan it hurt, but was very amusing to watch. That same game had another great moment when Castro and Ayerza scored almost identical tries within 10mins of each other.

Also, Morgan Parra almost falling on the floor infront of Manu instead of tackling him in the Clermont game at home.
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

When people around us started singing:

'Para,... Para,
.... Para Dives'

to the Coldplay music 'Paradise'. Don't know who thought of that, but genius.
Always a Tiger
ABC Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ABC Tiger »

This is a good thread :smt023

My favourite moments of the season have probably got to be Mafi's tap tackle on May, I've never cheered so much for a tackle.

Also Mulipola's performance in general in the LV cup final. When he threw Tonga'uhia into touch it was like two sumo's charging into each other. I remember with about 10 minutes left of the game as well we had turnover ball, someone popped the ball up to him and he booted it and just walked after it. It made me chuckle but he was out on his feet after a great performance.

So many others though Murphy's drop goal, Alex's last try at Welford Road, Agulla's tries against Northampton and Worcester and his assist on Alex's try vs Saints too.