Manu cited for "tip tackle" - cleared / no ban (Update)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Manu cited for "tip tackle" - cleared / no ban (Update)

Post by TigrisLeicesteris »

Just come up on my twitter feed from both the RFU and BBC. Sorry can't provide link as yet. Hearing is 8pm tomorrow. Looks like his tour may be in doubt

Sky have a link http://m.skysports.com/article/sports//7784016
Last edited by TigrisLeicesteris on Mon May 28, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Manu cited for "tip tackle"

Post by MJ Chairman »

Not that serious. Will get a week at the most. Barnes didn't even think it was a yellow.
He lifted him due to momentum, but made sure he went down safely.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

Missing the tour would obviously be disappointing for Manu but perhaps a break from the game for the summer will do him some good. It's been a whirlwind couple of years for one so young so maybe a rest and a fresh start in pre-season, along with YGF, will get him back to his best....just a thought.
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

I actually don't think the tackle was that bad. He lifted Care horizontally and not above the horizontal and put him down gently he did not slam him down. I've seen worse tackles not cited. Maybe Manu has now become a marked man due to his past misdemeanours
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

I agree MJ and Barnes (Ref) said he viewed it as going through the horizontal but gave a warning. Care didn't seem to phased either
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
Voltaire

"Morné Steyn is awaited in Paris like the Messiah or a new generation of Apple smartphone" Ze Stade Fan
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

I also think that Mr Lancaster will be having a word in HHJJB ear hole.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

MJ Chairman wrote:I also think that Mr Lancaster will be having a word in HHJJB ear hole.
I that not perverting the course of justice?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

Bill W (2) wrote:
MJ Chairman wrote:I also think that Mr Lancaster will be having a word in HHJJB ear hole.

Not in this case it might be aiding the course of justice !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Bill W (2) wrote:

Saving the rfus dollar bill. :smt023
Even my Hairy queens supporting mate things this is a disgrace. :smt018
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

No way! That was a proper dump tackle and completely legal. If that is classed as a dump tackle then how about the one on Geroge Ford in the 2nd half? I didn't see which Quins player it was.

By the way I think they were both perfectly fine tackles but if Manu's is classed as illegal then so is the one on George Ford.
TigrisLeicesteris
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think Manu's reputation and past form may hinder him here. Does anyone know what isthe range of weeks that can be applied to this "offence"?

I'm struggling to understand the citing as Ellis has said it was competitive and momentum. Barnes saw it and dealt with it. After his withdrawal from the IRB Referees roster surely this is just adding to the the already existing belief Barnes is an inadequate ref for high profile games. Therefore one finds themself asking why was he reffing in the first place if you are not willing to support your chosen referees decisions? Just a thought
Voltaire

snoopster

Post by snoopster »

ellis9 wrote:No way! That was a proper dump tackle and completely legal. If that is classed as a dump tackle then how about the one on Geroge Ford in the 2nd half? I didn't see which Quins player it was.

By the way I think they were both perfectly fine tackles but if Manu's is classed as illegal then so is the one on George Ford.

I wonder about that - Ford looked to me to be almost pulling a handstand and yet Quins ended up with a knock on while Manu got penalised... and yet it looked to me like Care's upper body only went below his legs because he was twisting to get the ball back to his side of the tackle.
Of course Manu has a rep while Quins are a gripping story of redemption...
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Presumably Tigers have held an internal disciplinary hearing where Manu pleaded guilty and accepted a four week ban?

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Looking at the bbc sport section I came across this.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18238862 This :censored: me off because from the photo you can quite clearly see that it is not a dangerous tackle. He did not dump him and he placed him on the floor.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Nothing wrong with that tackle. The hysteria over tip tackles post world cup is pathetic and now any one taking a player off their feet is risking a citing.

Would not be surprised to see him banned and it may be a long one due to previous bad discipline.