England vs Barbarians

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

hooking_king

England vs Barbarians

Post by hooking_king »

Team: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/18202933

Why on earth has Lancaster gone with the least attacking midfield in the top half of the premiership this season? I know that he hasn't got the Tigers and Quins players but still, this was a chance to experiment against a (traditionally) all attack Barbarians side. That means there will be plenty of opportunity to counter attack. I really do think that if England start the Sarries midfield against SA on 9th June we are on a hiding to nothing. (I, of course, hope I eat my words!)
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: England vs Barbarians

Post by jgriffin »

B Foden (Northampton Saints); C Ashton (Northampton Saints), B Barritt (Saracens), O Farrell (Saracens), C Wade (London Wasps); C Hodgson (Saracens), L Dickson (Northampton Saints); M Stevens (Saracens), D Hartley (Northampton Saints), P Doran Jones (Northampton Saints), M Botha (Saracens), T Palmer (Stade Francais), T Johnson (Exeter Chiefs), C Fearns (Bath Rugby), P Dowson (Northampton Saints, capt).

Replacements: L Mears (Bath Rugby), M Mullan (Worcester Warriors), J Launchbury (London Wasps), J Gibson (London Irish), R Wigglesworth (Saracens), J Joseph (London Irish), A Goode (Saracens).

Boring with a seriously underpowered attack and a seriously weak front row.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

jgriffin wrote:Boring with a seriously underpowered attack and a seriously weak front row.
What else can we expect when the numpties schedule this match just 24 hours after the best two clubs in the country have knocked seven shades out of each other? :smt102

Note to self: remember to dust off Baa-Baas shirt for Sunday.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

The back three are the only unit that look even close to international standard and with that midfield they will never get to see the ball :smt013
me2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by me2 »

BJ, when else do you suggest the match is scheduled?

Any earlier & the league is still going on, meaning MORE players unavailable Any later & England will already be on tour.

The alternative is not to schedule the game at all & then the RFU will miss out on lots of revenue, be more likely to try to schedule another international during the regular season or cut costs in other ways such as reducing grassroots funding, thus impacting the spread & development of the game in this country.

The "England vs Barbarians" game was previously the Premiership Champions vs a World XV or Barbarians but that wasn't very popular with the clubs (including the club that had to play the match) so the England fixture was seen as a suitable compromise.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Quite simply there is too much rugby being played. Players cannot be expected to perform for almost 11 months of the year. But hey, why should the authorities care about burn-out or early retirements through injury as long as they get their wonga?
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I'm inclined to agree that the England vs Baa-baas rubbish the day after the Premiership final is the least painful way forward. RFU gets some money from people who don't know any better, no Tigers players have to waste their time playing in it so long as they've made the Premiership final and it's not like anybody makes you watch it or read about it! Agree it's a woeful attacking midfield etc, etc, but I won't watch it and don't care.
Joe The Tigers Fan