Heineken cup final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dubal
Top Cat
Top Cat

Heineken cup final

Post by dubal »

What tigers fan can begrudge Shane and Leo hoisting the Heineken cup.

They learned their trade in the best academy of its time.

Thanks Leicester.

Dubal
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Heineken cup final

Post by Hot_Charlie »

No the first trophy they've both lifted at Twickenham IIRC!

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/4 ... tty300.jpg
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Sat May 19, 2012 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Not seen any of the game,but it sounds pretty comprehensive,enjoy the win.We'll be after you next year.............. :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

I think it is a big shame that they both left to persue international careers that didn't blossom.

I think we have missed them over the years.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

Call me a grumpy old curmudgeon but I just can't be pleased for them. The HEC is no longer a level playing field. It's ALL Leinster have to play for. And did anyone else hear that prize oaf Barnes saying he thought Leinster were so good that they could join the Aviva Premiership and go UNBEATEN? My TV nearly got a beer glass thrown at it!

:smt011
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

AidanMcDowell wrote:Call me a grumpy old curmudgeon but I just can't be pleased for them. The HEC is no longer a level playing field. It's ALL Leinster have to play for. And did anyone else hear that prize oaf Barnes saying he thought Leinster were so good that they could join the Aviva Premiership and go UNBEATEN? My TV nearly got a beer glass thrown at it!

I think you saw how good Irish sides actually are on the equivalent of an AP beat when the national side had to play three weekends and collapsed. Great at one-offs and when you can laze and peak. But this argument has long been accepted by anyone except Rabo Irish.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Can't think that any of us don't have a soft spot for Jennings & Cullen but don't forget that Barnes should have had Cullen off v Clermont and in general Barnes let Leinster get away with murder during the game, so I can't get too excited about them winning to be honest. I think there's a strong argument to be had that if Roland or Owens had reffed that game, then it would have been Clermont v Ulster today. I have no argument that Leinster deserved to win today's game though.
However, as BO'D is now talking about about a 'dynasty' looks like he thinks they have climbed to the top of the pedestal....and therefore there to be shot at next year!
Still begs the question though...............if Munster have been so good for years, if Leinster have three lots of silverware in four years, and Ulster are in the final with them this year, why haven't Ireland of recent vintage been World Champions ?? Answers on a postcard please.........
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Well done Leinster, well deserved win, our turn next year. :smt038 :smt038
welshy08

Post by welshy08 »

Leinster will be competing in the Pro12 final just as hard as they did today. Harder in fact as the Ospreys now look like a awesome and complete outfit under Tandy. Two well matched teams that promise to produce some of the most scintillating rugby in the Northern Hemisphere. I am actually looking forward to it far more than the HC final. I will never understand why the English want to knock the pro 12.
This final is going to be one of the greats.
Free to air on the beeb too.
Rugby as it should be - for the masses.
Suck it sky.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

First rate game yesterday. I thought, even given our current run, that we would struggle to have beaten either side yesterday. Relentless pace all round and some very clever back play from Leinster.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

Why are some people knocking Leinster and Irish rugby on the basis that club / province success has not been replicated by the Irish national side? Ireland have had the better of England in recent 6 Nations. England were not exactly world beaters when Tigers and Wasps won the HC. Expecting club / province success to translate to national success is unrealistic given that clubs / provinces field players of several nationalities.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

AidanMcDowell wrote:Call me a grumpy old curmudgeon but I just can't be pleased for them. The HEC is no longer a level playing field. It's ALL Leinster have to play for. And did anyone else hear that prize oaf Barnes saying he thought Leinster were so good that they could join the Aviva Premiership and go UNBEATEN? My TV nearly got a beer glass thrown at it!

You do realise that it's comments like this that make other countries laugh at English sport and follow the 'anyone but England' line don't you?

It gives the impression that English sides never lose because they're beaten by a better team - there's always an excuse, a reason that's unfair in some way.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Zdzislaw wrote:Why are some people knocking Leinster and Irish rugby on the basis that club / province success has not been replicated by the Irish national side? Ireland have had the better of England in recent 6 Nations. England were not exactly world beaters when Tigers and Wasps won the HC. Expecting club / province success to translate to national success is unrealistic given that clubs / provinces field players of several nationalities.
I am pretty sure that when we won the HC two years in a row (2001-2002) English rugby was reaching its peak (2003 world cup).
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Yes, well played Leinster and Leo etc.
The fact that two Irish PROVINCES played out the final is a cause for reflection if not outright concern.
If the HC is supposed to be a CLUB competition, even the best of clubs are now
at a serious disadvantage competing against Provinces. (A level of rugby between club and country).
With massive central funding and the HC the only concern of their season.

Isn't it time that Cork or Dungannon were in the mix instead of the cream of
the Irish national side augmented with expensive Jarpies?

(Cue the odd Troll from Dublin)
A life long Tiger
TigerMuz

Post by TigerMuz »

Firstly, congratulations to Leinster, a powerful yet beautiful display, and I feel that they are rightly given the title of 'greatest European side' in the professional era.

Am I the only one who would quite like to have Leinster in our pool next season? It may sound crazy, but I honestly think that it could play into our hands. For starters, assuming we can continue our 2012 form into next season, I think we would have a decent chance of beating them, certainly at home. Also, as much as I admire them, I can see them becoming the Barcelona of rugby, with every commentator/pundit/journalist worshipping the ground they walk on (I know I am contradicting myself a little after my admission at the start of this post) and thus I would absolutely love it if we could upset all the Leinster lovers and top the pool ahead of them next year.

That being said, they will obviously go into next year's tournament as deserved favourites.

Laughing at people slipping on the treacherous Crumbie Stand steps since 2004