Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

MelChannerFan
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The new "not nots"?

Post by MelChannerFan »

Or should it be just "nots"

http://www.london-welsh.co.uk/rugby_new ... sp?id=1190

They might play premiership matches in Oxford.

Keep going in that direction and they might be the Welsh London Welsh - or just the Welsh Welsh?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: The new "not nots"?

Post by Old Hob »

Actually, I think this could be a smart move. The nearest rugby to Oxford is Wuss or glos or wyckam or Bedford or Saints and the Uni at Oxford will probably provide some supporters as well as locals who have Henley as their highest ranked club. It may take time but the current hole in the doughnut that is Oxfordshire (in rugby terms) could grow a sizeable fan base
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

The Kassam is also a very nice little stadium and quite accessible - be good place to visit.

Actually I reckon the nearest professional rugby is probably Irish in Reading, which must be about identical distance as High Wycombe for Pests (but goodness knows how long they'll survive there).
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

But will they get primacy of tenure?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

True, DickyP. I forgot the other not nots who complete the doughnut. As for which is nearer - depends where in Ox you live. It is a surprisingly large (and often forgotten) county with quite a few well-off people (Chipping Norton etc)as well as a largish general population.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Old Hob wrote:True, DickyP. I forgot the other not nots who complete the doughnut. As for which is nearer - depends where in Ox you live. It is a surprisingly large (and often forgotten) county with quite a few well-off people (Chipping Norton etc)as well as a largish general population.
Well Reading is eminently forgettable! :smt045
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

I would be surprised if they got Primacy. I think they are setting themselves up for ... "we are small club and are victims of the big bad adminstrators in London..." a bit like the nation they name themselves after.

I hope Pirates thrash them..

In due course we can have the Premiership stretching from the far north east to cornwall in the south west.. Much better than another home counties homeless club looking for a temporary shelter.

Ideal for me .. 2 or 3 years pirates get their act together and replace wasps.. we can dream.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

So we end up with Reading Irish playing Oxford Welsh, neither team with any connection to the land where most of their players where born or the the town they are based at? You couldn't make this up could you. :smt043 :smt043
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

? Why do London Welsh not groundshare with one of the Welsh Regions?

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Bill W (2) wrote:? Why do London Welsh not groundshare with one of the Welsh Regions?

Because it'd be embarrassing when they got better gates.
Banburytigers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Banburytigers »

Old Hob wrote:True, DickyP. I forgot the other not nots who complete the doughnut. As for which is nearer - depends where in Ox you live. It is a surprisingly large (and often forgotten) county with quite a few well-off people (Chipping Norton etc)as well as a largish general population.
Totally agree with the point on where you are living in Oxfordshire affects which team you follow, as I live in the 2nd Biggest town in the county which is virtually a Saints only Zone except for the lucky few of us who lucky enough to have more than one brain cell and follow the Tigers :smt002
Banburytigers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Banburytigers »

Totally agree with the point on where you are living in Oxfordshire affects which team you follow, as I live in the 2nd Biggest town in the county which is virtually a Saints only Zone except for the lucky few of us who lucky enough to have more than one brain cell and follow the Tigers :smt002
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DickyP wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:? Why do London Welsh not groundshare with one of the Welsh Regions?

Good answer!!

:smt016
Still keeping the faith!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

DickyP wrote:
Well Reading is eminently forgettable! :smt045
...and in Berkshire.

I, for one, would welcome the move. It shifts the weight further out of London. Lose Wyckham Bankrupts and the boorish Boers, get Cornish Pirates, or Bedford or Bris to join in; help Gosforth (as was)and Sale and we have a jolly good prem.
Last edited by Old Hob on Thu May 17, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Bill W (2) wrote:
DickyP wrote:

Good answer!!

:smt016
Not too sure on that they have got average admissions of about 1000 people :-\