Championship fiasco

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Championship fiasco

Post by Bill W (2) »

ozwaldcopperpot wrote:based purely on the last 5 years of league records, the next 5 ahead (time 2 get ready) you would find your teams for the leagues, the top six from each one !!

propper promotion/relegation etc, a universal wage cap !! would make r game much more interesting.
18 Clubs. Difficult to schedule games. But OK, six French, six English and six between the Irish, Welsh, Scots and Italians? The Celts will never agree to that! Two Irish, two Welsh (thats a no no for starters) and just one Scottish and Italian?

Sorry. Try again!

:smt002
Still keeping the faith!
ozwaldcopperpot
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ozwaldcopperpot »

Bill W (2) wrote:
ozwaldcopperpot wrote:based purely on the last 5 years of league records, the next 5 ahead (time 2 get ready) you would find your teams for the leagues, the top six from each one !!

propper promotion/relegation etc, a universal wage cap !! would make r game much more interesting.
18 Clubs. Difficult to schedule games. But OK, six French, six English and six between the Irish, Welsh, Scots and Italians? The Celts will never agree to that! Two Irish, two Welsh (thats a no no for starters) and just one Scottish and Italian?

Sorry. Try again!

:smt002
if you don't ask, you don't get !! at a guess, the top six from the Pro12 now would be 3 Irish and 3 Welsh, i may be wrong.

scrap the LV cup !! apart from afew xtra bob, whats the point ?! the game needs to expand people. let the Russian national side join the fun :smt002
...Devil's advocate
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Sport needs financial prudence, which means not building facilities before you need them.

Therefore the Prem saying that teams entering the Prem need to already have the Prem facilities in place leads to my misquote "The Prem is a ass."

A certain team I know played a game at Milton Keynes, where because of the hordes of travelling East Midlanders (too many)they erected some massive temporary stands, accomodated everyone, took a shed load of cash, and used it to improve the permanent facilities.

I think this is called enterprise. A word clearly foreign to rugby.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Rumour has it that numerous championship teams are setting up a legal challenge to the entry requirements for promotion, mainly using the fact that many clubs in the premiership do not meet the requirements themselves
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

a couple of interesting links:

The document for minimum criteria for entry to the premiership: http://www.copthall-application.co.uk/B ... teriax.pdf

And a brian moore article on the subject: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... light.html
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Mr Bean wrote:Rumour has it that numerous championship teams are setting up a legal challenge to the entry requirements for promotion, mainly using the fact that many clubs in the premiership do not meet the requirements themselves
Which teams don't meet the criteria though and in what way?
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

Cardiff Tig wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:Rumour has it that numerous championship teams are setting up a legal challenge to the entry requirements for promotion, mainly using the fact that many clubs in the premiership do not meet the requirements themselves
Which teams don't meet the criteria though and in what way?
most clubs in the championship do meet the criteria. From my knowledge its only bristol, leeds and maybe nottingham who have grounds suitable, with london welsh not confirmed whether they have passed the audit.
The main reason for failure is ground capacity which has to be 10'000
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Bill W (2) wrote:
fleabane wrote:See my post above -- protectionism.
Just so. And when 13000 Tigers ST holders and Members compete for the 1000 seats available in such grounds???
Guess what - the prices will go up - and then you will all complain big time!!
Do I hear £250 a ticket?
Exactly. That is how markets and Rugby Union should be allowed to work.

If a club such as London Welsh is promoted with 6000 capacity, and in the short term this caused ticket prices to rise massively because of tight supply, then the extra revenue generated is used to develop the ground and bring future tickets prices down. Eventually finding an equlibrium between a clubs ground size and ticket price that fills it.

Thats what natural growth does, and exactly what protectionism and ring fencing prevents.

The idea that a club should build a big ground first, that it cant fill, and then try and build a supporter base is a complete nonsense.
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

I've just read the entry requirements and I am a keen Bedford fan. The points I know Bedford will fail on are.
The slope of the pitch
Ground Capacity
Urinal instead of having individual urinals (at no less than 600mm apart) there is a wall to be a bit crude wee on (it does have drainage)
I beleive we dont have enough toilets
I'm not sure our first aid room has a broadband connection.
I dont think our hospitality suites are big enough
And one of our sponsors clash with Aviva
bluehumber
Tiger Cub

Post by bluehumber »

I agree a smaller stadium filled to capacity with the option to expand is far better than a larger capacity ground partially full, can you not recall going to Murrayfield to play Edinburgh when only part of the lower west stand was open (approx 8k there if i remember correctly) as a supporter it was dire, but then again the it was there biggest crowd of the year and the Jocks loved it. (don't mention the result though)
If a club wins promotion let them join in with the premiership and expand as a team and its supporter base, don't keep them down, the game grows from the grass roots upward.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

And of course if you inspect the credentials of the little Hitlers who set this criteria, what do they know about anything? Naff all.

Have they ever attended a game as a normal person? Never.

I went to a tiny ground at the back of a pub in Arnold (Nottingham) which had erected makeshift stands to accomodate the likes of me and my mates and an absolute boatload of people from Wigan.

It was superb. Absolutely superb.

Had it have been staged at the City Ground, which at the time had a capacity of around 49,000, it would have been horrid.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Mr Bean wrote:I've just read the entry requirements and I am a keen Bedford fan. The points I know Bedford will fail on are.
The slope of the pitch
Ground Capacity
Urinal instead of having individual urinals (at no less than 600mm apart) there is a wall to be a bit crude wee on (it does have drainage)
Taking the sloping ground and sponsorship issue aside, the rest of the issues are just easily solved using some of the additional revenues gained from being in the premiership.

If the club gets relegated in the first season no problem. Next time they come up they have to spend less on facilities and more on players.

And so over a period of time the club develops naturally with more of their revenues going on playing staff.
Mr Bean
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Mr Bean »

tig1 wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:I've just read the entry requirements and I am a keen Bedford fan. The points I know Bedford will fail on are.
The slope of the pitch
Ground Capacity
Taking the sloping ground and sponsorship issue aside, the rest of the issues are just easily solved using some of the additional revenues gained from being in the premiership.

If the club gets relegated in the first season no problem. Next time they come up they have to spend less on facilities and more on players.

And so over a period of time the club develops naturally with more of their revenues going on playing staff.
Exactly and the slope shouldnt really be an issue as both teams get the advantage of it when they swap ends
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Once again, Brian Moore hits the nail(s) on the head!
Valhalla I am coming!
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Mr Bean wrote: ...the slope shouldnt really be an issue as both teams get the advantage of it when they swap ends
Not sure about that. Whenever you're going to play on a sloping pitch, the team who wins the toss always wants to play uphill in the first half before everyone's knackered. If it's a slope across the pitch, your point holds true.