Catt in for England

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Catt in for England

Post by parkerd68 »

Mike Catt has joined the England coaching setup.

Can only be a good thing in my mind. I used to detest him. Then, as he got older as a player, I grew to like his commitment and attacking style. Hopefully, he'll get that acroos to his charges.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Catt in for England

Post by Will S »

I think Catt will be a good thing for England. Andy Farrell knows how to grind out wins at Premiership level - which worked for us (just!) during the 6N's - but I think Catt has a much better idea of how to succeed against a SH test team.

It will be interesting to see how the backs shape up under Catt as I think he would push for a very different back line. I think the Leicester half backs are looking well placed and whilst some would say move Owen out to 12 (which I don't think he has the talent for) I know Catt has said for a long time that the pairing he sees as the long term England future is Manu at 12 with Jonathan Joseph at 13. JJ is a brilliant player and has speed to burn. I actually think that centre pairing could be pretty awesome!
Tiger Chris

Post by Tiger Chris »

I'd be happy to see Manu and Joseph at 12 and 13 but maybe in a couple of years
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Both are big lads so won't get bullied physically. If I were SL I would start them now while I still had some good will from the English media!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

It means no Catt for Tigers!

He kept England in the 2003 final when the backline wobbled, and has enough experience as a coach to do a good job for England.

Good move by SL, well done Catty.
Valhalla I am coming!
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

Much as Mike Catt might be a safe pair of hands what should really concern the RFU is that Wayne Smith said no, joining a long list of highly qualified and available professionals who've turned them down in recent months. It effectively means that it took Rob Andrew & Co six months to recruit a manager and backs coach with virtually zero international coaching experience between them. My hope was that Smith would take the job, Lancaster would be ousted fairly promptly and Smith would assume the big chair.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

My money was on Smith being in if Mallett was. Smith was on a hiding to nothing with Lancaster, with Mallett he was siding win a known contender for WC2015.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

So, England sail (fly) to SA with a temporary acting bcaks coach and no real idea as to the coaching structure thereafter but Mr. Lancaster expects several CV's to land on his desk.

So candidates other than Farrel Smith and Catt were not and have not been identified?

I worry, and fear the management style of Randrew is to the fore. We will review, consider all the options, and then make a random stupid decision!!
Still keeping the faith!
Tiger Chris

Post by Tiger Chris »

well i'm happy with Catt as the backs/attack coach and think it is also good for YBY and Flood
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Perhaps Wayne Smith sees his future himself as a head coach not as an assistant to Lancaster.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

O Connor was mentioned in the telegraph this morning.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

LE18 wrote:O Connor was mentioned in the telegraph this morning.
/...as were other also rans.

I may be missing something. Maybe Lancaster (despite his relative inexperience but with his impressive PR campaign) is g*ds gift to coaching.

But why then are other apparently well qualified and less well qualified practicioners not queuing up to join his team?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Tiger Chris wrote:well i'm happy with Catt as the backs/attack coach and think it is also good for YBY and Flood
Not good for Tigers, I was hoping Farell stayed in the job so we could have Youngs and Flood available.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CitizenSmiff »

But why then are other apparently well qualified and less well qualified practicioners not queuing up to join his team?
Aye, as the IRB 4th ranked team in the world we shouldn't have to twist anybody's arm to fill our coaching positions, all things being equal there should be a queue out the front door.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

Didnt Wayne Smith have the best part of 3 seasons at Northampton and they won nothing ? I think they got to 2 powergen cup finals and got hammered in both against Gloucester and London Irish. No premiership finals. Nothing in the HC.

I guess its not so easy to be a coaching guru when your stand off is Paul Grayson and not Dan Carter, or you have John Leslie in the centres rather than Conrad Smith, or your full back is Nick Beal rather than Israel Dagg ?
Ben Cohen over any New Zealand winger ? Budge Poutney or McCaw ?

If you picked a composite England / New Zealand team post 2004 since Smith joined the All Blacks how many positions would be held by an English player ? Maybe Hill, and Robinson ?

Nothing against Smith, i am sure he is a very good coach. He also has the privilige of coaching the best players in the world.