So what's happening with next season's away strip?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

So what's happening with next season's away strip?

Post by BJ. »

Everybody is going on about the new Canterbury home strip for next season ( :smt078 ) but there's been absolutely nada about the away strip. Will the platinum strip remain for a third season? Will the team be allowed to wear strips from two different manufacturers?

Before I get berated for starting a different thread on what might be perceived to be the same topic as the new home strip, I didn't want my query being drowned out amongst all the comments on the home strip.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Richard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: So what's happening with next season's away strip?

Post by Richard »

I believe we will be removing all references to Cotton Traders as Canterbury will not like as to still use a colour and trade marks owned by CT.
the future is bright
the future is
Scarlet Green and White
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

BJ. wrote:Everybody is going on about the new Canterbury home strip for next season ( :smt078 ) but there's been absolutely nada about the away strip. Will the platinum strip remain for a third season? Will the team be allowed to wear strips from two different manufacturers?

Before I get berated for starting a different thread on what might be perceived to be the same topic as the new home strip, I didn't want my query being drowned out amongst all the comments on the home strip.
Good point BJ! IMHO the current away strip will thankfully have to be replaced post the Canterbury deal. I cannot believe that either Canterbury or Cotton Traders would be happy to divide up both kit supply and design or are they? Interesting to see what develops I guess its a case of watch this space. Either way fingers crossed that the away kit it is changed for the better!
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

sapajo wrote:Either way fingers crossed that the away kit it is changed for the better!
We already have a perfectly acceptable strip can could be used for away matches. It's called the Euro strip, it's predominantly light and it features the PROPER Tigers colours. The only drawback is it was a Cotton Traders design.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

I read on FB that it will be similar design but light/dark blue...
cheers
Rich
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

I personally liked the CT Euro shirt but apparently not a big hit with some of the players
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I like the Euro shirt also - indeed so much so i have have just bought one ( albeit at a very good sale price) I don't care what price they bring the dirty washing grey one down to I would never wear it, not even to do the gardening in and my wife can testify I wear some right rags for that. The blue one prior to that wasn't much better!
Old Tight Head
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Old Tight Head »

I may be wrong but I thought that each club has to have a 'dark' and 'light' strip -Tigers' home strip is the 'dark' one so the away strip has to be 'light', hence the 'platinum' colour?
Cut me and I bleed red, green and white...
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Exactly the same as the "home" shirt but with a White Bib (CATERPILLAR in Green)and with white shorts.

You heard it here first!!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Still keeping the faith!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Being a tad over the hill, my memory is not quite what it was - historically, what did the Tigers away kits of the past look like?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Bill W (2) wrote:Exactly the same as the "home" shirt but with a White Bib (CATERPILLAR in Green)and with white shorts.

You heard it here first!!

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005
But in blue (if the person who gave a fairly accurate description of the home shirt a few weeks ago is to be believed!)! :smt003

As for why there's no mention of the away shirt? Probably a very good marketing reason. I suspect the plan was always to launch the new shirt for the last game of the season, partly as it may have ended up being the last of the season if it had gone badly, and partly because the footfall going through the ground into the shop will be huge (and for the last time before September).

I suspect we won't see the change ("away" in modern parlance) shirt for a month or two. Why? Well, firstly I suspect traditionally they don't sell as well as the home shirt. Secondly, releasing the two shirts simultaneously may very well hinder the sales of one or the other, as a lot of people will be reluctant, or simply can't afford to buy two shirts at the same time. Holding two distinct launches, set a decent period apart will probably (in the long run) make more money. :smt001

I may be wrong.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:Being a tad over the hill, my memory is not quite what it was - historically, what did the Tigers away kits of the past look like?
2010-2012: Grey (sorry, Platinum!)
2008-2010: Light Blue, white trim
2006-2008: White, Purple/"Wine" (red wine!) trim
2004-2006: Black, narrow green/red/white vertical trim line on sleeve and sides
2002-2004: White, single large green/red band and narrow band on body, green/red vertical band on sleeve
2000-2002: Navy blue. Multiple green red stripes (it was this kit which led to the clash at Irish, leaving the Tigers playing in inside out shirts, and started the ball rolling to the light/dark kit rules we have today
Pre-2000: Navy blue, red/green/white trim

So, to answer your question, historically, dark/navy blue, but due to the fact that from 1999 onwards (with the first Vauxhall sponsored shirt) the shade of green has gone from an "emerald" shade to what Canterbury have called "Evergreen" (ie, a lot darker), the change shirt has been a lot lighter - except for the black one!
Last edited by Hot_Charlie on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Anything that's an improvement on that hideous grey kit will be alright with me.
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
longlivethecrumbie wrote:Being a tad over the hill, my memory is not quite what it was - historically, what did the Tigers away kits of the past look like?
Well, my memory is not that secure, but I am pretty sure that I remember us playing in traditional colours home and away, only changing if there was a colour clash with someone like West Hartlepool. Shows that I am getting very old.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

Broadstaff wrote:
Hot_Charlie wrote:
Well, my memory is not that secure, but I am pretty sure that I remember us playing in traditional colours home and away, only changing if there was a colour clash with someone like West Hartlepool. Shows that I am getting very old.
I believe that was the case, and also it was the home side that changed in the event of such a clash, although when there were concurrent home games only a few days apart (eg Easters) we often wore the change strip on the second of these.

In the 1980s and early 90s the change strips were predominately red (though it went through a couple of variants) then, as stated in an earlier post, it reverted to navy blue. However, I seem to recall the red being introduced with a fanfare before a cup match against Gosforth (they morphed into Newcastle for younger readers - in a manner of speaking)in around 1981 and suspect that prior to that there must have been something else.