tigers fans singing!!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

trendylfj
Super User
Super User

tigers fans singing!!!!!

Post by trendylfj »

At Quins on Saturday I nearly fell of my seat as a fair size group of Tigers fans burst into song!!!!!!! Admittedly it was only "come on you boys in Blue" and only lasted for about 3 or 4 choruses but it was there!! - OR was I dreaming??

What is the world coming to??? - hehehehehehe - I'll believe that it wasn't a dream when it happens at WR.
Hehehehehehehehe
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: tigers fans singing!!!!!

Post by jack »

Blue?
Tigers - true Champions!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

Those platinum shirts can look blue in a certain light. :smt002
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
colviletiger
Tiger Cub

Post by colviletiger »

There was a number of fans singing goodbyee...goodbyee... as some of quins fans were making an early exit during floody's kick in the last 2-3 mins
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

there are several songs that come from the midddle terrace on big busy days but I have never heard that one - That sounds as if the folks singing it were normally city fans.

The usual songs that come from the middle of the terrace are as follows

"Leicester Tigers Leicester Tigers, we still want you to score more to score more" - sung to the tune of Bread of Heaven on days we hit the Bonus 4th try - and sung with particular gusto if we happen to be against a welsh team

"You're a naughty, you're a naughty, You're a very naughty boy, naughty boy, you're a very naughty boy" sung to the same tune - sung to anyone joining us (in their dugout) after a yellow or red card.

"Stand uup and scrum like men, stand uup and scrum like men, stand up and scrum like men!" sung to any pack who show no inclination to scrummage and spend most of the time on the floor

"keep Dylan on, keep dylan on, keep Dylan on" - sung to Dylan Hartley as he inevitably dissolves into the yips after constant barracking by us

There are a few others often made up on the spot but swiftly taken upo but a large core - followed by some cuckling as it usually takes the mickey out of the opposition in front of us .
hooking_king

Post by hooking_king »

I thought the chants of 'Cheerio, Cheerio" at Saints were appalling. I didn't realise we had become a football club. I didn't realise it was happening at Quins as well. It's terrible. Gloating in victory is not the Tigers way, nor is it the rugby way. Those type of chants are designed to wind up opposition supporters, it gives us a bad reputation and makes us look unsporting.

Whoever these 'fans' are, and I'm sure it's a small proportion, please stop. There is a perfectly good football stadium over the road if you want to goad the opposition fans. You are also segregated from one another so you can really go mad with it!

As for the thinking behind the chants at people leaving early, I am regularly disturbed by people leaving at around the 75th minute, and then a few more follow, I wouldn't ever do it myself, but as Tigers fans do seem seem to leave at 'half time' I wouldn't criticise Saints and Quins fans for doing it.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Daveyboy wrote:Those platinum shirts can look blue in a certain light. :smt002
Only if your name is Stevie Wonder. :smt002
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I see no problem with a little
"good byee Good byee there's a silver lining in the skyee, bonsoir old thing cherioo chin chin - oh ooo toodle oo goodbyee!!"

I recall singing that to a large bunch of Springbok fans as they streammed of of Newlands in 1997 before the end of the First Lions test of that tour.
As we emerged from Durban Kings Park a week later - with Union Jacks, Scottish Royal standards and welsh dragons flying "singing" - various national songs and ditties - we were stopped by South africans having their Braais in the carpark and offered beer for us to sing more - They loved it - they wanted more - they had never seen anything like it

it is humorous and nothing like football violent vulgar singing

I have played and watched rugby for over 40 years - singing was always part rugby club culture in every club I played for - not sure what club you played for - a little singing on the terrace is mearly a logical follow on from that and in my view should be welcomed.

I shall give you an example - home or away verus Glawster you can gaurantee the Glaws fans after the very first penalty will sing "Same old Lestaur always cheating" - - we always have a little banter back but bide our time and when ineveitably we are well into the process of beating them we strike up with "same old Glaaawsaar always losing" all of course iin fake exagerated west coutry accents. We usually get a bit of banter back - all in good humour all funny - very very rugby and nothing NOTHING like football.

We need more of this and LESS of the Mr. Quiets , the Tartan rug brigade - who sit there with their flask and clap politely and complain if some one shouts too loudly and god forbid sings - I despise those people and I wish we could get more singers and shouters and stampers and banterers in the ground and let the Mr' and Mrs Quiets stay at home, subscribe to ESPN an d turn the volume down in case the crowd noise upsets them - they make me sick and I cannot believe some rugby clubs have allowed these types most of whom have never played in therir lives take over large chuks of our stands. The team needs to know you are there on their side - that is what home advantage is all about and how you take away their home advantage when travelling away - and anyone who doesn't get that can not bother turning up as far as I'm conmcerned, no one will miss them I can assure you.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

[quote="hooking_king"]I thought the chants of 'Cheerio, Cheerio" at Saints were appalling. I didn't realise we had become a football club. I didn't realise it was happening at Quins as well. It's terrible. Gloating in victory is not the Tigers way, nor is it the rugby way. Those type of chants are designed to wind up opposition supporters, it gives us a bad reputation and makes us look unsporting.

Whoever these 'fans' are, and I'm sure it's a small proportion, please stop. There is a perfectly good football stadium over the road if you want to goad the opposition fans. You are also segregated from one another so you can really go mad with it!

That is a very small minded post in my opinion - I was one of those, mainly due to the fact that the Saints fan I was with wanted to go early ( to the bar I hasten to add ) and I had already started chanting goodbye to him. This was lighthearted, not aggressive or gloating but mainly a part of the bragging rights that exist when we beat our nearest and dearest !! the saints fans really enjoyed it on the whole by the way, both on their forum and on the day - all taken in good spirit.

Don't label me or the others who took part as "football fans" as though that is supposed to be an insult - there are many who find it possible to support both sports without resorting to the stereotypes you refer to in your note.
Less is more....
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

I agree with Bunchy. It's one thing starting an insulting chant or personal chant (which I have never seen at a Tigers game from any side) but I think putting "Cheerio" in the same bracket is just silly and over-sensitive. The game lives on banter between fans, you have to take it and you have to dish it out. Just because a word such as "cheerio" is put into musical format doesn't turn it from a midly banterous comment into an insulting sing-a-long.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
hooking_king

Post by hooking_king »

I knew my comments would provoke reaction. I am afraid I stand by my first post, 'cheerio, cheerio' is an unnecessary, mob cultured, football chant. I have no problem with singing, in fact I think the post by mightymouse and the chants at Glaws both home and away are genuinely funny, and we know are taken in good spirit.

Indeed the terrace songs (of which I am regular) are both witty and harmless. Once again I agree with mightymouse, singing is very much apart of rugby history, and my club still have a good ol' sing song after our matches in the changing rooms. They are hilarious and mostly clever songs; 'cheerio, cheerio' is mindless and antagonising.

Bunchy, I agree with you, you can be a football fan and rugby fan, I am a season ticket holder at both Tigers and City, and have been for over 10 years.
hooking_king

Post by hooking_king »

To add, Bunchy, the Saints fans I was sitting with did not enjoy it, they were surprised by it and thought it was out of place in a rugby ground. Whilst they don't speak for the masses, nor do the few people who post regularly on this forum (or on the Saints forum for that matter), there were a number of Tigers fans I also heard mumbling about it...and no, not the Mr. Quiets, or tartan rug wearers; they were a group of 20-somethings, who all had Tigers shirts on, all coming out with some hilarious comments towards, Saints and the ref, and they felt it was 'unimaginative'.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

"cherrio" is pretty common in cricket as well, and not I would have thought insulting.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

"Number 1 is Julian White, Number 2 is Julian White....." etc up to Number 8 and then "we all live in a team of Julian Whites....." to the tune of Yellow Submarine...heard in Treviso a couple of years ago...highly amusing.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

RWA wrote:"Number 1 is Julian White, Number 2 is Julian White....." etc up to Number 8 and then "we all live in a team of Julian Whites....." to the tune of Yellow Submarine...heard in Treviso a couple of years ago...highly amusing.
I was there and it was very funny to hear the Italian fans gleefully joining in.

And to back up Bunchy, a team like Man Ure or Arsenal can gather 60,000 or 70,000 fans, and if a few hundred of them decide to sing "Cheerio Cheerio Cheerio" then this makes a loud noise, but you must understand that tens of thousands of fans are sneering at it and refusing to join in.

So the rugby scum that ape this behaviour are not following the majority of football fans, they are copying the worst minority.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!