tigers fans singing!!!!!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Re: tigers fans singing!!!!!

Post by Kinoulton »

I'm not a troll by any means, and I certainly didn't want to offend any one.

But if you look at the posts on this sites closely, you will quickly realise that everything bad that happens in rugby is blamed on football, rather than on the rugby fans themselves.

My point to everyone is that football has moved from massive appalling behaviour to much less appalling behaviour (although it's not been eradicated by any means) so I would plead to rugby fans to not follow the horrible route that football took in the 60s, because it has taken 50 years to get football back to something even remotely like the respect in had in the 50s and there is absolutely no worth in rugby copying this behaviour.

Football fans from the East Mids would rotinely chant "go home, you b*ms, back to the scums" at Yorkshire fans and the Yorkshire fans would be spitting venom at the East Mids fans shouting "scabs scabs scabs scab" and it would all result in a lovely big fight outside of the railway station in which innocent bystanders would be hospitalised.

Well I've said "cheerio cheerio cheerio" to football and if you insist on taking rugby the same way, then I'll say "cheerio" to that too.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Tigerinshandyland

Post by Tigerinshandyland »

Surely the singing of 'cheerio, cheerio, cheerio' was more aimed at the fact that their supporters did not support their team until the end, despite the fact they were losing?

As long as it is delivered in jest, I think Welford Road would be all the better for a bit more atmosphere. Indeed, some of the best matches I've experienced have been when I have either been around those who are in good voice or when we have visiting fans who create the atmosphere - Exeter immediately spring to mind. An eery silence has been far too common in the stands over the past few seasons.

I'll be in the terrace on Saturday, with some friends who have never been to a Tigers game before. I've promised them an atmosphere so do me a favour and sing your hearts out!
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

Believe me, I have ranted at the 3,000 virtually comatose Forest fans in the dreadful Olympic Stadium in Munich and goaded them to sing their hearts out for the lads, which was difficult in a roofless part of a concrete hell hole where atmosphere was hard to generate.

All I'm saying is that I know from the footie experience that there is banter and there is goading, and we don't need to go down the goading route.

I was at a Forest v York City match where the Trent End had a ferocious snowball fight with the York fans and it made us all mates. Great fun.

But I've also been at a game where some kn*bheads in A block have chanted comments at the visiting Leicester fans and provoked real violence. It's just not a good day out.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

a very interesting point made on the 70s programme on TV last night pointing out that it was when football supporting stopped being a Dads and lads pastime (as dads started doing DIY and gardening)that youngsters without role models in the terraces became out of control. I think whilst we hhmm "older" members of the community continue to attend Rugby your fears of degeneration will hopefully not come to fruition.

Anyway I now have a great excuse not to do the DIY .. "sorry darling can't put those shelves up, it will only lead to mass thuggery and a rise of a racist, homophobic underclass"

I always new DIY was the root of all evil - I blame B&Q!
NaptonTiger
Tiger Cub

Post by NaptonTiger »

mightymouse wrote:a very interesting point made on the 70s programme on TV last night pointing out that it was when football supporting stopped being a Dads and lads pastime (as dads started doing DIY and gardening)that youngsters without role models in the terraces became out of control. I think whilst we hhmm "older" members of the community continue to attend Rugby your fears of degeneration will hopefully not come to fruition.

Anyway I now have a great excuse not to do the DIY .. "sorry darling can't put those shelves up, it will only lead to mass thuggery and a rise of a racist, homophobic underclass"

I always new DIY was the root of all evil - I blame B&Q!
DIY = aka Don't Involve Yourself. Ask Anthony Allen.