Would Farrell get in our side ?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Would Farrell get in our side ?

Post by norfolkexpat »

Even Austin raves about this kid--but all I can see is a metronomic kicker in the same gene pool as Beckham.

A one/two at most trick pony---and a throwback to the past..

His attacking skills are virtually non existent as proven by Saffas dismal, truly awful try scoring ratio with him at five- eighths

Let us truly hope he gets found out in SA so we can move forward as an attacking International unit and not as an attritional defensive set up.

What do the rest of the forum think--Farrell for England-yes or no ???

My vote---NO
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Would Farrell get in our side ?

Post by Duncan B »

I agree that he isnt the answer at 10. But lets be fair....Beckham is hardly a bad footballer and Farrell is hardly a bad rugby player. He is well worth his weight at Sarries but for me at the moment he does lack the attacking ability needed to play international rugby. He would be well behind Flood in my book. I would have him on the bench though.
sjm
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by sjm »

Simple answer not for tigers why when we already have the best FH in the prem and the no.2 for his shirt is not that bad
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

NO!!
Flood & Ford both better than Farrell.
Nothing personnel he does what he does very well but exactly nothing to worry about unless you give kickable penalties away!
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Excellent kicker but ...... distribution skills mediocre at best, attacking flair zero but that may be down to the negative environment in which he plays his club rugby though I've seen nothing to convince me there is a latent ability there.

In terms of fly half certainly behind Flood and Ford. Behind Allen as an inside centre and behind Manu and Matt smith as an outside centre.

A definite No
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

An interesting question. If we could just drop him into the existing squad (ignoring details like salary caps etc) then like "voice of the crumbie" I suspect the answer is a definite NO.

However, if we imagine the sort of circumstance when he could conceivably arrive at WR - eg, if Toby and/or George Ford left then he'd probably be a superb addition to a match-day squad.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

nope - not without a bit of work to bring him up to scratch..
cheers
Rich
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I don't think he would get anywhere near our side but he suits the Saffas style of play perfectly.

Talking about their style take a look at the picture in the below link (about half way down page) :smt011

http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read ... 7,13230262
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Will S wrote:I don't think he would get anywhere near our side but he suits the Saffas style of play perfectly.

Talking about their style take a look at the picture in the below link (about half way down page) :smt011

What the hell is going on there??? Cracking picture, but very strange!!
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote:
Will S wrote:I don't think he would get anywhere near our side but he suits the Saffas style of play perfectly.

It's Saracens dull technique for protecting the 9 when box kicking.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Will S wrote:
Dr H Flashman MBE wrote:

It's Saracens dull technique for protecting the 9 when box kicking.
Or the next installment in that awful Human Centipede series. Though I'm beginning to wonder if it'd be less painful to watch the films than Saracens.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Farrell has bags of potential and it is no surprise that his main attributes that we have seen so far is that he is an outstanding kicker, strong in defense but his attacking game is as yet undiscovered.

But then again he is playing for Saracens (and England so far) to a gameplan that lacks attacking intent and relies on playing territory, kicking penalties and defending like demons. Whether he has an attacking game is difficult to tell, he just hasn't had the opportunity to demonstrate an attacking game.
Always a Tiger
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

bluntiger wrote: But then again he is playing for Saracens (and England so far) to a gameplan that lacks attacking intent and relies on playing territory, kicking penalties and defending like demons. Whether he has an attacking game is difficult to tell, he just hasn't had the opportunity to demonstrate an attacking game.
To discover whether he has an attacking game would require taking him out of the Saracens' set up. A fly-half needs to be pragmatic and know which game to play at the right time. Even if he developed an attacking game, it would be sometime before he could wield it properly because Saracens have fettered him.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I agree with bluntiger. I think we have yet to see the best of Farrell but he's got pedigree and he certainly has the temperament.

Some may tend to forget how young he is and IMO for a lad of his age he's exceptional.

Having said that I would have Flood as my 10 everytime and I think Ford is a better prospect overall. Therefore in answer to the question, no he wouldn't get in our side at present, but that doesn't make him a bad player and one who will almost certainly improve - especially if Sarries expand their current game plan.

I know one thing, Saints would love to have him!!
Soggypitch
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Soggypitch wrote:I know one thing, Saints would love to have him!!
Saints seem to like their FHs of the unpredictable variety - Spencer, Geherty, Myler, Lamb ...

Donald would fit in perfectly!
Always a Tiger