TBP How long before....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TE

TBP How long before....

Post by TE »

They disapear?
After Tigers kept winning the league when first meant champions,
the RFU changed the system to allow others a chance to be champs with the playoffs.

Now Tigers have clocked up a record 6 successive TBP on the bounce how long before the system is changed again???

Personally I think Its a great system and does what it was meant to do and provide for entertaining attacking rugby ( saffas excepted)
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: TBP How long before....

Post by Bill W (2) »

TE wrote:They disapear?
the RFU changed the system to allow others a chance to be champs with the playoffs.

Now Tigers have clocked up a record 6 successive TBP on the bounce how long before the system is changed again???

Personally I think Its a great system and does what it was meant to do and provide for entertaining attacking rugby ( saffas excepted)
My guess would be they will make it 5 tries for a tbp (or maybe a margin of 3 tries) and narrow the lbp to 5 points.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
TE

Post by TE »

dont think they will do that, if they make the TBP too unobtainable then it will have a negative effect, and may as well not be there, how many teams score 5 trys? not that many really,

I dont think there's anything wrong with the LBP, one score in it is a close game and deserves reward.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TE wrote:dont think they will do that, if they make the TBP too unobtainable then it will have a negative effect, and may as well not be there, how many teams score 5 trys? not that many really,

I dont think there's anything wrong with the LBP, one score in it is a close game and deserves reward.
I agree. But Saffas (and Sequins) may not.

:smt009
Still keeping the faith!
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

I think the 6N is the only major tournament that doesn't operate the 4 try bonus point scoring system.*
It would be perverse to change the system in the Premiership and out of step with all other tournaments / leagues around the world so can't see it happening, myself.

*I am prepared to be corrected on that! :smt001
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Daveyboy wrote:I think the 6N is the only major tournament that doesn't operate the 4 try bonus point scoring system.*
It would be perverse to change the system in the Premiership and out of step with all other tournaments / leagues around the world so can't see it happening, myself.

*I am prepared to be corrected on that! :smt001
Top 14 Try Bonus is for a margin of 3 tries - not simply scoring 4.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

how about a tbp for each 4 tries scored?
cheers
Rich
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

We could get Steven Fry to issue the bonus points like he does on QI,then we'd get loads of points just for turning up,looking mean.
Seriously,there's nothing wrong with the humour of the first post,but don't start giving the dafties that run the game ideas,there's nothing wrong with the game , so leave it alone.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I've never been a fan of bonus points - you play to win.

For me bonus points should only count if sides are level on proper points.

County cricket seems devalued by bonus points - again they should only really count if a game is significantly shortened by rain so that a side which is genuinely doing better gets some reward for their efforts.

Coming back to rugby the try bonus point does skew things - purely because of the assumption that more tries means a better game.
Why shoulds a 9:6 win over Sarries (or any other top end of the table team) be only worth 4 points yet a 4 try 28:0 win over Newcastle or Wasps be worth 5?
colviletiger
Tiger Cub

Post by colviletiger »

mol2 wrote:I've never been a fan of bonus points - you play to win.

For me bonus points should only count if sides are level on proper points.

Coming back to rugby the try bonus point does skew things - purely because of the assumption that more tries means a better game.
Why shoulds a 9:6 win over Sarries (or any other top end of the table team) be only worth 4 points yet a 4 try 28:0 win over Newcastle or Wasps be worth 5?

Not sure I agree as a spectator, there is far more enjoyment in watching teams score trys. The exact same reason why a 5 point award for a try was changed from 3 to develop the current game into a format that was far more entertaining. I am not sure how interesting the league would be without them? We'd be trailing 8 points behind quins and 3rd in the table...
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

I think it's previously been established that bonus points have little impact on final league standings (e.g. we'd be 3rd now, not 2nd - I think our form is more important than league position going into the semi-final).

Where they do have an impact, and where they have improved rugby as a spectacle, is in the last 15 minutes of a game that has already been won - the losing team might have a losing bonus to play for and the winning team might have a try bonus to play for.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

TE wrote:They disapear?

Couldn't agree more - a more radical idea may be to let sides score a tbp for every try they score over 3. ie 4 = 1pt 5 = 2pts etc and certainly the 6N should follow suit
Hehehehehehehehe
BHB
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BHB »

Tongue in cheek.
A team who does not score a try gets one third of the points if the opposing side loses & scores a try. Meaning that a team who wins a game on penalty/drop kicks only does not necessarily get winning points.
As stated tongue in cheek.
Nailsworthstiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Nailsworthstiger »

mol2 wrote:
County cricket seems devalued by bonus points - again they should only really count if a game is significantly shortened by rain so that a side which is genuinely doing better gets some reward for their efforts.
Sorry mol2 but to say bonus points has devalued cricket is total garbage. Do you or have you ever played the game? Cricket is a different game that lasts for 4 days. The weather can play a lot towards a game and the accumulation of bonus points goes a long way to the final league positions. If you just had a couple of points or whatever for a win and a draw, you wouldn't get anywhere
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Nailsworthstiger wrote:
mol2 wrote:
Sorry mol2 but to say bonus points has devalued cricket is total garbage. Do you or have you ever played the game? Cricket is a different game that lasts for 4 days. The weather can play a lot towards a game and the accumulation of bonus points goes a long way to the final league positions. If you just had a couple of points or whatever for a win and a draw, you wouldn't get anywhere
bonus points have devalued cricket - they're all staggered to the first innings' performance which means it gives another bonus to the team winning the toss as they will be either batting or bowling in what is perceived to be the better conditions for the activity

rather than bowling bonus being decided in the first 100 overs it should be the first 50 overs of each innings, or the first 100 of the better innings