Why Andy Farrell turned down England

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Why Andy Farrell turned down England

Post by Old Hob »

According to a report by mark Souster in "The Times" and tagged "exclusive" it was over money. Farrell "is believed" to earn in excess of £150,000 pa and the RFU offered £60K to buy out the remaining two years of his contract.

Two theories emerge as to why this has happened: the first is that it was a conspiracy, they did not want to offer him the job really, and this was a way of getting him to turn it down so they could get someone else; the second is that the RFU decided to play rough in the belief that the attraction of working for England would overcome concerns about money. If this is the case, it backfired.

"The issue came to a head on April 9th when Griffiths (Sarries owner) met Rob Andrew, the RFU's professional game director. When it was obvious there was no room for manoeuvre, Griffiths lost patience. "They felt it was derisory" said a source close to the union.""
Last edited by Old Hob on Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Why Andy Farrell turned down England

Post by Isambard »

The squeaky effect lol.
Stupid

Post by Stupid »

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but how exactly is a contract bought out anyway?? I assume £60k is compensation to Sarries for releasing Farrell if that is what they are offering to buy out the contract. I would imagine that Farrell would be then get a salary potentially as much as or more than he is being paid by Sarries. Now as I see it there are two things to consider when deciding how much to offer to but out the contract - for Sarries is the amount enough to justify the effort and disruption, for the RFU how much are they willing to spend when there are others (e.g. Smith and Ashton) who are freely available. From Sarries perspective £60k may seem harsh, but why would the RFU offer more when they can potentially get a better deal elsewhere.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Great message to Lancaster. Overpaid and unnecessary RFU creature (RA) takes no notice of Lancaster's preference and of a coaching team that gels.
Goes to meet with Saracens CEO and offers nothing really to compensate Saracens. CEO says f.you jimmy.

RFU says to Lancaster, really really sorry but we tried (not very hard) and will spend more airmiles looking for another coach.

Farrell's opinion ignored and Lancaster's opinion ignored.

No change is the way the RFU moves then. So let's have that mole to play with.
Stupid

Post by Stupid »

I hold the RFU and Rob with the same lack of regard as you, however, while I can easily believe they are the villians in this one I'm not going to bite their heads off just yet. First up I actually think that £60k is a pretty reasonable offer, the switch would likely happen in the off season and would allow Farrell to see out the current season and give Sarries the opportunity to sort a new backs coach between now and the start of next pre-season. We also don't know other fairly crucial bits of info, like how much Farrell wanted, how that compared to others that are available and even how high up Farrell is on Lancaster's list of priorities. Every team needs some financial constraint, and while it's easy complain about them not spending X amount on one thing when they are willing to spend so much retaining Rob (a legitimate complaint in my view), I prefer the idea of ditching Rob rather than spending X amount on whatever it happens to be. Incidently I also wonder how much Sarries were asking for, or what is written into Farrell's contract (does he actually have to pay to leave them?? Could he just :censored: them off and leave and get a new job? I assume his contract prevents that but haven't a clue what the details are). If £60k was an opening gambit and they were willing to be more generous, but Sarries CEO said they wouldn't take a penny less than ... then his demand is potentially a big deal. It could just as easily be that Sarries were not willing to let him go without getting an outrageous amount in return. That's not to suggest anything malicious on their part, more that they just don't want to let him go - which wouldn't surprise me as it is pretty much what they have stated all along.
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

If Farrell was serious about wanting to help his country's team, couldn't he have done a Redpath and just resigned on the spot? I don't know much about contracts, but what could Sarries have done if he'd made it clear he was off? There's no point in keeping a coach who doesn't want to be there anymore than there is in keeping a player who doesn't want to play for you.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-union/n ... -Saracens-

According to Sky Sports breaking News, Andy Farrell has just quit SAracens as head coach. England....or another club? End of something special?
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Andy Farrell quits as Saracens head coach but will not join England tour of South Africa. Kevin Sorrell takes over at Saracens.

So does that mean England AFTER the tour. Please let the answer be no
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”