A daft question about foreign players!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Warwickshire Tiger

A daft question about foreign players!

Post by Warwickshire Tiger »

I have been reading this forum for a while but never posted but I am induced to now as I there is something I have not managed to get my head around.

I am sure there is a simple explanation but I haven't worked it out yet.

My understanding is that in the AP a match day squad can only contain two foreign players. Foreign being from a country that is non-eu or not a kolpak country such as Samoa, Tonga and S.Africa (explaining Saracens!)

The thing that is confusing me however is that Leicester seem to have Agulla and Ayerza from Argentina (non-kolpak as far as I am aware) and Salvi (Australia) and Newby (New Zealand) and I am sure I have seen more than 2 of those on the same team sheet.

I guess either I am wrong about the rule, or one or more of these players has dual nationality.

Can anyone clear it up?
nottslad

Re: A daft question about foreign players!

Post by nottslad »

i think that ayerza married a spanish girl & gets an EU ticket, Newby is also married to a english lady & so qualifies that way. I am sure somebody else may no the full answer, but thats the reason as far as i know>>>
glass is half full
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I believe that Salvi has an Italian passport due to heritage, which is why we went for him in the first place when our whole back row went down like a pack of cards at the start of the season. A very inspired choice, IMHO
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Is that a rule? If so how the hell are Saffas under that? :smt017 :smt017
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

TigerLad wrote:Is that a rule? If so how the hell are Saffas under that? :smt017 :smt017
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/con ... 99952.html

"But - and this is the important part - at the time of the ruling Kolpak was not from the EU but from a country with an associate trading relationship. So the Court of Justice's findings meant that any player from any nation which had such a relationship with the EU could also freely play as a professional."
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

It was initially felt most in cricket where floods of players came over to play - with Leicestershire and Northamptonshire two of the biggest importers. The ECB offered incentives to clubs to field 'home grown' talent ahead of Kolpals and the practice of bringing over Kolpak players seems to have slowed down