We have to keep Agulla- all threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CitizenSmiff
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: We have to keep Agulla- all threads merged

Post by CitizenSmiff »

I was on the fence about the economics of keeping him at the club before today but now I'm completely won over; the man has incredible strength and skills not widely available on the transfer market and it's not like we're strangers to losing our best players for prolonged periods. Other teams will be making the sacrifice to keep players far less worthy than Agulla on their books.
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

Whatever the outcome is as far as Horace goes, i would like to take the opportunity of thanking him for all his skills shown and the entertainment he as offered to this Tiger.Our coaching staff will make the right call on the future, which will be in the best interest of the club. The same coaches that some people were calling for the sacking of, when things were not going well. Always though that was the behavior of wendyball supporters but it seems, sadly some of that behavior has come into rugby.
Back on track, best wishes for the future Horace were ever it may be. Once a Tiger always a Tiger.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

The good thing is that Agulla himself says he wants to still be a Tiger so, it seems to me, that one side is willing to compromise. Come on Tigers work something out that keeps him. Also he is good comapny for Marcos!
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

And don't forget, if he's here for the second half (and a bit) of the season he covers us during 6N period (although we probably won't lose any wingers :smt009 )
beech

Post by beech »

I may be mistaken but I thought that Cockers reaction to the question during the ESPN interview left the door open for Agulla to stay at Tigers. There again it could be wishful thinking.
tf22
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Cockers keep the man! He is a damn good player! Dont think our replacement wingers are international standard unless Tait can return to his 2007 form. Maybe that is why Cockers feels he can release Agulla?
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Although there are people waiting in the wings: morris and lewington, these players should be used to replace him whilst away, to lose 2 great tigers in Alex and Horacio simultaneously would be an incredible risk taken on cockers' part.

We have better prop replacements than for the wingers, so if we can keep Marcos, Horacio should receive equal treatment.

SAVE AGULLA! SAVE A TRUE TIGER! :smt027 :smt027
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

I have to agree with the club, unfortunately. Agulla is one of the best wings in the world. His vision and strength with or without the ball is unbelievable. and he just keeps getting better and better. Yes i would love him to stay at the club, but how long would it take for him to get back onto the team sheet come match day. how would he feel playing for the development team waiting for his chance. How would the club feel about paying him (what i would expect high wages) to play in the development team for a couple of months before he gets his chance. How would the player feel playing in that position that gets replaced by him. He would miss have the season, and upon his return would have to learn all the set piece moves and calls. Thats a big ask. I would love the club, country and agulla to sort a deal out to keep him at tigers, he brings so much to the team. I will miss watching him play in the green, white and red. I have voted him the player of the season and hope he gets it, it would show the clubs and fans appreciation of what he has done this season for us, and the progess he has made.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Could we make him our marquee signing, pay as you play, that way he would be cheapest marquee in league.
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

I dont know if a compromise can be done but i would love to see him stay at Welford road. He is pure quality.
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

jamiewilkinson wrote:I have to agree with the club, unfortunately. Agulla is one of the best wings in the world. His vision and strength with or without the ball is unbelievable. and he just keeps getting better and better. Yes i would love him to stay at the club, but how long would it take for him to get back onto the team sheet come match day. how would he feel playing for the development team waiting for his chance. How would the club feel about paying him (what i would expect high wages) to play in the development team for a couple of months before he gets his chance. How would the player feel playing in that position that gets replaced by him. He would miss have the season, and upon his return would have to learn all the set piece moves and calls. Thats a big ask. I would love the club, country and agulla to sort a deal out to keep him at tigers, he brings so much to the team. I will miss watching him play in the green, white and red. I have voted him the player of the season and hope he gets it, it would show the clubs and fans appreciation of what he has done this season for us, and the progess he has made.
You make a fair argument but, if such an contract is viable for Ayerza, I don't see the difference for Agulla, do you?
Toonie

Post by Toonie »

I think that 'where there's a will, there's a way'.
IMHO the Club should be creative in finding a way to keep Horacio at the club. For someone who has known that he was unlikely to be kept next season his play and committment have never diminished over the last few months and his delight at winning the LV cup at Worcester was infectious-Tigers are obviously so important to him.
Perhaps we can compare and contrast this attitude with that of 'sulky-boots' Ashton at Stains recently.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

The financial arguments against keeping him are obvious but as yet he hasn't been signed/snapped up by any other club so there must still be a fair chance of him staying. Presumably the cost of the time he's unavailable is why nobody else has snapped him up, unless he's stalling hoping for the Tigers spot.

The argument about keeping Ayerza under the same potential international commitment is a fair one but Argentina didn't give him much game time in the RWC so perhaps they won't want him for the 4 Nations (I think they will call him but only as a standby - Lord knows why, he's so good).
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

GS wrote:Argentina didn't give him (Ayerza) much game time in the RWC so perhaps they won't want him for the 4 Nations (I think they will call him but only as a standby - Lord knows why, he's so good).
Argentina took two 35 year olds to the WC to play in the front row - cannot believe they will continue to get picked for the 4N tournament ...... Marcos therefore a shoo-in to start every game for them from now.

Also Camacho is likely to be on the other wing from Horace and Exeter recently gave him a spanking new contract......

SAVE AGULLA :smt027
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

youngtiger wrote: You make a fair argument but, if such an contract is viable for Ayerza, I don't see the difference for Agulla, do you?
The argument about keeping Ayerza under the same potential international commitment is a fair one but Argentina didn't give him much game time in the RWC so perhaps they won't want him for the 4 Nations (I think they will call him but only as a standby - Lord knows why, he's so good).
Cockerill answered the Ayerza question when the news first broke that Agulla's contract would not be renewed. Essentially, a fairly decent wing is easier to come across than a world class prop - you might get a fair replacement for Agulla, but probably not Ayerza.

Love to see a compromise and find a way he can stay though, but I fear he'll go back to France, where a prolonged absence is more affordable without the constraints of the Premiership's salary cap. That or Super 15.