Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: We have to keep Agulla- all threads merged

Post by youngtiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
youngtiger wrote: You make a fair argument but, if such an contract is viable for Ayerza, I don't see the difference for Agulla, do you?
The argument about keeping Ayerza under the same potential international commitment is a fair one but Argentina didn't give him much game time in the RWC so perhaps they won't want him for the 4 Nations (I think they will call him but only as a standby - Lord knows why, he's so good).
Cockerill answered the Ayerza question when the news first broke that Agulla's contract would not be renewed. Essentially, a fairly decent wing is easier to come across than a world class prop - you might get a fair replacement for Agulla, but probably not Ayerza.

Love to see a compromise and find a way he can stay though, but I fear he'll go back to France, where a prolonged absence is more affordable without the constraints of the Premiership's salary cap. That or Super 15.
An unsurprising and dissappointing opinion, although one I hope you yourself do not hold Charlie. I think he showed with his hands for that flick to Alex, and the one straight after to Allen from the kick-off that he is far more than "fairly decent".

And it's a classic forwards' argument, props worth their weight in gold zzz...They are cornerstones, undoubtedly, but in the end without a roof you get soaked. (Just to clarify, wings finish off the team, and therefore are the roof :smt023 )
jamiewilkinson

Post by jamiewilkinson »

youngtiger wrote:
jamiewilkinson wrote:I have to agree with the club, unfortunately. Agulla is one of the best wings in the world. His vision and strength with or without the ball is unbelievable. and he just keeps getting better and better. Yes i would love him to stay at the club, but how long would it take for him to get back onto the team sheet come match day. how would he feel playing for the development team waiting for his chance. How would the club feel about paying him (what i would expect high wages) to play in the development team for a couple of months before he gets his chance. How would the player feel playing in that position that gets replaced by him. He would miss have the season, and upon his return would have to learn all the set piece moves and calls. Thats a big ask. I would love the club, country and agulla to sort a deal out to keep him at tigers, he brings so much to the team. I will miss watching him play in the green, white and red. I have voted him the player of the season and hope he gets it, it would show the clubs and fans appreciation of what he has done this season for us, and the progess he has made.
You make a fair argument but, if such an contract is viable for Ayerza, I don't see the difference for Agulla, do you?

no not at all. I do find it harsh, and I do think cockers arguement "for wingers are easier to find" in Agulla's case, not as good as him they aren't
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Is there a Save Agulla petition? If so how do we access it?
A life long Tiger
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Smudge wrote:Is there a Save Agulla petition? If so how do we access it?
This would be a start, anyone fancy taking banners outside welford for the barf game, plenty of Agulla chants, it'll be just like the football.... :smt010

Well, at the very least we'll give Horacio a send off he'll never forget. :smt027 :smt027
Lawford Tiger

Post by Lawford Tiger »

have just one word to say about this. AGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOJA!!! :smt045 :smt026 :smt045
Tigersfan90
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigersfan90 »

Just a post to show my support for Agulla! Please Tigers, surely there must be a way to keep him! Listen to the fans!
Guinness Premiership Champions & Heineken Cup Finalists 2009
Tigers never give up !
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Must keep him, shows the pride he feels for the shirt in the way he plays!
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

youngtiger wrote:You make a fair argument but, if such an contract is viable for Ayerza, I don't see the difference for Agulla, do you?
I think the main difference is Marcos is already under contract for next season (having signed before all this fiasco started) whereas Horacio's contract runs out at the end of this season. Therefore, I assume. we are obligated to keep Marcos but nor Horacio.

Like the vast majority of you, I want to see Horacio stay as I think he just gets better with each match he plays. However, he needs to work on his splash though. :smt002
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

How come Gavin Henson's thread is longer than this one :smt011

I don't want to read about Henson (yesterday's man), let's get even more momentum for the Tiger's player of the season, Mr Horatio Agulla :smt026
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Ads677 wrote:How come Gavin Henson's thread is longer than this one :smt011

I don't want to read about Henson (yesterday's man), let's get even more momentum for the Tiger's player of the season, Mr Horatio Agulla :smt026
I agree but maybe worth noting that this isn't the only thread (or amalgamation of recent threads) about Agulla, his situation has, I'm sure, been discussed many times since it became known - and is worthy of being discussed again and again (on one thread :smt002) - IMHO.

Agulla has shown tremendous commitment to a team that is reportedly letting him go, for understandable, if harsh and not fully accepted, reasons. He is also an extremely talented player - called the best winger in the premiership on Saturday - a sentiment that I agree 100% with. He's proven this year that he can be away with the Pumas and come back and be devastating. there MUST be a way to keep him on board.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Another thought - if Horacio stayed, we have to remember it's not just next season that he would miss the first part but every season thereafter whilst he's still playing for the Pumas. :smt009
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

I'd love Tigers to find a way to keep him in the squad.

I've been really impressed with his attitude over the last few months, whilst other players seem to have taken their foot off the gas once a move has been announced his has continued to give 100% in both attack and defence.

Perhaps he can be recruited as one of the now regular long-term injury replacements?
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

With all the business experts and captains of industry (Lord Digby Jones) on the board
there must be someone with enough nouse to come up with a way we can keep him.
Come on board, don't force us to stand outside with placards and banners before
you act.
FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE KEEP AGUILLA AT LEICESTER
A life long Tiger
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Maybe he isnt that good. Didnt he fall asleep to let Ash the splash score against us at Welford Road? :smt003 :smt117
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
kend
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by kend »

It's a sad thing, but there really isn't room for sentiment in a cash constrained environment, keeping Agulla just doesn't make either financial or playing sense. IMHO missing the pre-season is a real issue (perhaps more so for a back than a forward); reintegrating him into the side in December would be a difficult task. It is painful because he's been so good (and deserves player of the season IMHO).

I have no proper source for this other than a fellow in the bar after a game; he was sure that he was offered a contract at 3/4 of his current one but turned it down?