Wot? No thread on tonight's match?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BJ.
Super User
Super User

Wot? No thread on tonight's match?

Post by BJ. »

There's usually a thread with live updates on it for every match. What's happened?

p.s. I now know why Barnes was kicked off the international referees board.
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Lis113
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Wot? No thread on tonight's match?

Post by Lis113 »

Total agreement: Barnes just...well...no words really.
Mafi is my man.
Eon

Post by Eon »

Dulllest massive victory since Glasgow in the European Cup.

Still we perked up a bit once we were 30 points ahead.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Scrappy match with some very cynical tactics deployed by Worcester. Mr Goode springs to mind. In the end an excellent win to get the bonus point and six tries cannot be bad. Just very happy that in the end all our boys looked like they ended the match in one piece,hope I am not proved wrong. Need to up the anti for the next match, reduce the turnovers, knock on's, spills and handling errors. That said we are looking very good for the run in and everything crossed for Quins to beat sarries tommorrow and likwise hope Bath can pull out a peformance and win against the Stains.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

sapajo wrote:In the end an excellent win to get the bonus point and six tries cannot be bad.
True, 7 tries even better though :smt002
BJ. wrote:p.s. I now know why Barnes was kicked off the international referees board.
Agreed, totally inept at best tonight. Walked away from tonight's game feeling more than a little frustrated, strange feeling when we'd just run in 7 tries and won by 30 points, and mainly created IMO by the man with the whistle.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,12040_7638795,0.html

Richard Hill not blaming Goodey, but still looking over their collective shoulder after Newcastle win.
Hill said he was not worried about being dragged back into a relegation dogfight after Newcastle's win at home to Sale.

"That's not a worry to me," he added. "I don't think many people would have had us down to win at Welford Road. We just wanted to give a good account of ourselves.

"Most people would have had Newcastle down to win at home to Sale. Although we are not mathematically secure yet but we have got two home games and we are unbeaten at Sixways.

We beat them at Sixways in December........
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
DaveRave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DaveRave »

What a bizarre game. After our customary early penalty concession it was so one sided! However, I can't remember us squandering so many 5 metre scrums / umpteen phases on their line. But it didn't matter as we just kept stealing their ball until we scored. Then came the Andy Goode incidents. Never before has a opposing player getting carded elicited an 'oh no'. Funny isn't it? An ex-tigers legend gets sent off and I'm disappointed. Had it been a Stain or a Wasp I'd have been going berserk. I did, however, go berserk at AT getting carded. It was utterly stupid of him to retaliate and a deserved yellow (at least), but once again the retaliator bears the brunt and the instigator (who smashed him in the back of the neck with the ball out of play) gets away scot free. It was particularly galling to see the Wuss player burst out laughing after AT swung at him as he knew he had mugged a pen and a card. I should be delighted at a free scoring bonus point win, but somethings tonight left a bad taste in the mouth...
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

BJ, if we had lost the game there would have been plenty of threads about the game and mostly calling for Cockerill's head. As it is our recent run has had the doom-mongers slinking off and biding their time until such time as we lose.

Despite a 7 tries to 1 victory which temporarily takes us up to second in the table some of the comments already have a touch of moaning about them.

On a positive note I thought Allen had a good game after coming back from injury, Bubbles has become Mr dependable again and Kitchener and Mafi continue to play well.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Some strange supporter behind us cited: "Barnes by name, Barnes by nature" - whatever that means?!

Can't argue with seven tries and a home win
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

It was an oxymoron ......

We won handsomely AND ugly.

:smt006
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Daveyboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Daveyboy »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:Some strange supporter behind us cited: "Barnes by name, Barnes by nature" - whatever that means?!

Which reminds me, sorry to digress, but at the LV= Cup Final, some wag shouted
Can't prop, won't prop
at Tonga'uiha.

It made me smile, anyway. :smt001
Today is yesterday's tomorrow.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Most irritating supporter to ref comments I've heard were at Bath v Glouc this year.

Continually throughout 1st half: "They'll do it all afternoon Barnnnneeessssyyyy"

For the 2nd half this changed to: "They've been doing it all afternoon Barnnnneeessssyyyy"

This was shouted at every single infringement, or suspected infringement, by Bath - even when it was, for example, the first knock on of the match...

On tonights match - job done, but my God it was a frustrating and dull game. It seemed like 60 minutes was spent with Tigers having set pieces 5 metres from the Worcester line, which generally led to nothing very interesting at all, or a Worcester error.

Individually, Kitchener's performance was probably the only aspect of the game to get even slightly excited about.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Tiglon wrote:Individually, Kitchener's performance was probably the only aspect of the game to get even slightly excited about.
I think Tom Youngs showed up well too when coming off the bench
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Seems to me it was a classic game of a team worrying about getting humped just hanging onto the game/ball and having no intention of playing or letting the opposition playing.Wuss came with damage limitation in mind and they failed,it does require two teams to take part to make a spectacle I find.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Tiglon wrote:Individually, Kitchener's performance was probably the only aspect of the game to get even slightly excited about.
I think Tom Youngs showed up well too when coming off the bench
He had a very good game - a lot of good tackles, hit the rucks hard, carried well.

Fantastic tackle from Garvey after one of our fat boys broke through the Wuss line - a 10 second clip of that should be sent to all clubs at all levels, mandatory viewing showing the girls proper technique and commitment with a fat boy bearing down on you
g
Super User
Super User

Post by g »

It seems strange to me that Tigers played much better when all the internationals were away. They come back and get game time and Tigers resort back to playing like they had been for most of the season, dull boring rugby.Why the hell Cockerill has to change things is beyond me, the Internationals ought to be made to fight for their place not get automatic selection just because of who they are. As one of the commentators said last night Tigers will not have many of the top teams shaking in their boots after that performance.

Maybe it needs another Geordan type bollicking to get the players to realise what it means to play for the team.