Ben Youngs - citing

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Ben Youngs - possible citing

Post by Bill W (2) »

Isambard wrote:Just like in every other rugby game of and above a certain level.
Then those in charge of referees and disciplinary standards and procedures at and above that level should be sacked (for incompetence) and a new lot appointed!!

:smt013 :smt013 :smt013
Still keeping the faith!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

We can only hope that common sense prevails.
I have watched it a couple more times since I last posted and one thing is beyond doubt,
the TJ had the best view of it in the stadium.
The ref asked him his opinion and all it warranted was a reversal of the penalty.
Frankly even that was unjust considering what provoked it.
Full marks to Barnes for a decent piece. I don't often agree with him but when
he's right, I am happy to say so.
T
A life long Tiger
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Smudge wrote:Full marks to Barnes for a decent piece. I don't often agree with him but when
he's right, I am happy to say so.
T
There is alwatys a first for everything!!

We await the whim of the citing officer.

Ben's actions did contravene the "Laws of the game" albeit the provocation will count in mitigation at the (possible) disciplinary hearing.
Still keeping the faith!
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Smudge: from what I saw the TJ stood over them at one point with his flag held out in front of him as soon as it started till the ref came over.

To pick up on Bills point it would appear in some instances that ref's & TJ's are taking a non-confrontational approach to some incidents, perhaps thinking well it'll get picked up by the citing officer.
Which if indeed that continues it will mean more of the same such as Ben's, If you don't stop the cause you'll never stop the effect (as someone recently said can't think who)
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

In full view of all the match officials I lie all over the ball having enterred from the side; the whistle is not blown. An opponent shows his displeasure by "tickling my ribs" with his boot. The whistle is still not blown. I grasp his nether regions and he reacts by kicking my head.

Mr. Citing Officer who do you cite???

The referee?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Good article by Stuart Barnes. Let's hope someone takes notice.
Valhalla I am coming!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

fleabane wrote:Good article by Stuart Barnes. Let's hope someone takes notice.
Hope springs eternal.

Faith comes later!

:smt001
Still keeping the faith!
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

fleabane wrote:Good article by Stuart Barnes. Let's hope someone takes notice.
surprisingly balanced
cheers
Rich
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

We really change our tune as Tigers fans when it suits us :smt001

I recall the debate about whether GM should be cited after deliberately taking Ben Foden out of the ball in the build up to Agullas try, in this seasons game at Welford Road.

To say the response was one sided in GM favour would be an understatement. The idea he might be cited was laughed out of these boards. Yet is was a completely cynical piece of play by GM to take him out. I bet if Foden had run back across and put a knee into Gm and thrown a couple of punches who do you think would have been cited.

All that aside, i think this whole citing issue is a joke. Sundays incident was barely even 'handbags' by rugby standards. Great game. Move on.
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

tig1 wrote:We really change our tune as Tigers fans when it suits us :smt001

I recall the debate about whether GM should be cited after deliberately taking Ben Foden out of the ball in the build up to Agullas try, in this seasons game at Welford Road.

To say the response was one sided in GM favour would be an understatement. The idea he might be cited was laughed out of these boards. Yet is was a completely cynical piece of play by GM to take him out. I bet if Foden had run back across and put a knee into Gm and thrown a couple of punches who do you think would have been cited.

All that aside, i think this whole citing issue is a joke. Sundays incident was barely even 'handbags' by rugby standards. Great game. Move on.
I don't think it is quite that simple - I'd love to see the IRB come down hard on the sneaky off the ball stuff and start punishing players for it. However so long as they're not doing it, I'd hate for Tigers to be the only team not taking advantage of it and hence placing themselves at a disadvantage - the Murphy block is a good example of this, there might have been some holier than thou whines by some Saints players but I can recall a fair few off the ball pull backs and blocks by their players earlier in the game, even if they can't, so it evened out. In terms of a citing - it was a bit laughable to suggest it for the simple reason that there have been numerous high profile incidents in big games over the last couple of seasons that haven't been cited, so there was little chance of a change.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There is a world of difference between a technical penalty - like Smurph's blocking and deliberate violent actions.

If you were going to cite a player for blocking what next? Cite a player for a deliberate knock on that the ref called accidental & awarded a scrum.

Keep citings for significant foul play that was missed by the ref.
Handbags that the ref dealt with should not result in citings - if the powers that be feel the ref underpunished a player then it should be deleat with by those that train and approve the refs as a training issue.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

it needs better officiating to stop the escalation.. there is a world of difference between YBY and CC imho..

but we'll see what the rfu come up with...
cheers
Rich
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

mol2 wrote:There is a world of difference between a technical penalty - like Smurph's blocking and deliberate violent actions.

If you were going to cite a player for blocking what next? Cite a player for a deliberate knock on that the ref called accidental & awarded a scrum.
Yeah, but whats the difference between deliberately blocking a player who is trying to get back and stop a try and holding a player down longer than they should so they cant get to a ruck?
taffyboiy
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by taffyboiy »

It's quite easy in my view, all perpetrators of cynical stuff like that (holding players down, flattening support runners off the ball, tripping, diving, gamesmanship etc) should be red carded. It'll even be worth a few 'false positives' to get it stamped out. The fans haven't come to see cynical rubbish, they've come to see entertainment and excitement. If IRB are serious about providing a spectacle that brings the crowds in, they have to stop the cheats that spoil it by *deliberately* breaking the rules.
tig1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tig1 »

taffyboiy wrote:It's quite easy in my view, all perpetrators of cynical stuff like that (holding players down, flattening support runners off the ball, tripping, diving, gamesmanship etc) should be red carded. It'll even be worth a few 'false positives' to get it stamped out. The fans haven't come to see cynical rubbish, they've come to see entertainment and excitement. If IRB are serious about providing a spectacle that brings the crowds in, they have to stop the cheats that spoil it by *deliberately* breaking the rules.
or pushing the ball out of the opposition scrum halfs hands into the scrum on the blindside of the referee so you can win the HC cup.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003