Have England screwed up Dickson?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

GS
Super User
Super User

Have England screwed up Dickson?

Post by GS »

We've seen it with Harry Ellis and Ben Youngs. They come to the fore playing exciting and instinctive rugby and get selected for England. After a while they started to lose the flair and excitement that got them into the England team and look very ordinary scrum halves.

Watching Lee Dickson in the first half against Ireland today I had a feeling of deja vu. The play that had put him ahead of Ben Youngs was missing. He spent ages behind the rucks deciding what to do and then making a mess of it - just like Ben used to. The fast pass was missing, just as it was for Harry and Ben after exposure to England training.

Thank heavens Ben is looking more like his old self. Lets hope he can resist the England coaches' "training" and stay true to his own style. Why can't England call up players who play the game they want and leave the others alone instead of trying to mold them into something they aren't?

How long before they get at Farrel whilst daddy's back's turned as they did with Toby and his kicking?
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
sjm
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Have England screwed up Dickson?

Post by sjm »

In the first half he played more like Barbara Dickson but the fast pass etc came with BY sent on with farrell it might be a little diferent as he is not a no10 might be a 12 but no more
leic

Post by leic »

Please don't feel sorry for him he's a saint!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Dickson played like he does for Stains. Always a primadonna.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

In answer to the thread title: No, he's always been average.
smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smalldell »

I am adfraid Dickson has been elavated beyond his skill base. He's a good Premiership palyer but that's it. He lacks the spark and despite Ben Youngs try, for me this remains a problem position.
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

smalldell wrote:I am adfraid Dickson has been elavated beyond his skill base. He's a good Premiership palyer but that's it. He lacks the spark and despite Ben Youngs try, for me this remains a problem position.
Whilst I agree that Dickson may not be the future of the England 9 jersey, that performance yesterday was way worse than any of his previous performances in the tournament. No, he never had a stand-out game, but he was at least alright. Yesterday, however, he was awful.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

leic wrote:Please don't feel sorry for him he's a saint!
No sympathy just concern about the England coaching scheme.
Tiglon wrote:In answer to the thread title: No, he's always been average.
But is he now more average thanks to the England coaches?
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

No.

For England he's had a few decent performances and one bad one. That's no worse than the rest of his career. This whole idea of England coaches ruining players is, in my opinion, a bit of a myth.

Taking Youngs and Flood as examples:
Youngs was played in the WC while apparently not fully fit, this led to poor performances and seems to have not helped his confidence.
Flood was discarded rather harshly and again, this has dented his confidence. I don't think it's the coaching specifically altering their techniques or thought patterns, but rather the way they are treated being counter-productive to their confidence.

International rugby also inevitably brings extra pressure, as does the increased attention that follows from playing on the big stage. This can cause players to change the way they approach the game and take less risks, sometimes thinking about things too much rather than relying on their instinctive play that has got them there. These changed thought processes then continue into their performances for club.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Watching Dickson yesterday was infuriating, the amount of times the ref said to him use it or lose it and he got pinged for a penalty was a joke, his kicking, decision making and influence on the backs was awful, he deserved his opportunity because Youngs has gone off the boil recently and there isnt really any other takers for the position, Lancaster needs to evaluate the Six Nations and if he is to succeed in the job then he needs to replace the likes of Ashton, Dickson, Strettle with players who cut the mustard and are on form.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I don't know why scrum halves think they should show baot at the base of the scrum. It's a bit too wendyballish for my liking. Trying to get a penalty out of nothing. Tryting to get the play set up.

In truth if I was in the pack i would grab the 9 by the shirt and tell him to get rid of the b thing asap. I would not be grunting for his acting display. Crabbing is the next sign of arrogance and indecsion.
Hopefully the Lancaster ronseal approach should get rid of these silly ways of not using the ball we have just won.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Isambard wrote:I don't know why scrum halves think they should show baot at the base of the scrum. It's a bit too wendyballish for my liking. Trying to get a penalty out of nothing. Tryting to get the play set up.

In truth if I was in the pack i would grab the 9 by the shirt and tell him to get rid of the b thing asap. I would not be grunting for his acting display. Crabbing is the next sign of arrogance and indecsion.
Hopefully the Lancaster ronseal approach should get rid of these silly ways of not using the ball we have just won.
This is one of the most annoying aspects of the current game. It just bores everyone and achieves nothing.

Next on my list of pet hates is when, (while the scrum half is doing the above) 3 more forwards "bind" on to the back of the ruck, thus extending it 6 feet and giving the SH more space and time to kick. In my opinion it should be outlawed.