Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

12t's not to play for Tigers again

Post by Old Hob »

From the Merc:

Leicester Tigers director of rugby Richard Cockerill will choose 18-year-old fly-half George Ford over Billy Twelvetrees for the rest of the season.

The two men have been in competition for the No.10 shirt this campaign as Toby Flood's back-up.

But since Twelvetrees' much-publicised decision to turn down a new deal at Tigers and join Aviva Premiership rivals Gloucester, Cockerill says his duty must be to develop players who will be here next season.

"The key for me is that Billy is now leaving the club, so my focus changes to developing the guys that are going to stay," said Cockerill.

"With all due respect to Billy, and I have had that conversation with him, if I need a fly-half, I will go for George because I don't see the point in developing Billy to go and play for Gloucester next year.

"That's not malicious, that's just the way it is."

If Ford makes the squad for Leicester's Premiership clash with Newcastle at Welford Road on Saturday, he will play against a Falcons side which has dad Mike on the coaching staff after he joined them last month.

"It will be the first time I have coached a team against one of my own sons and it is a very unusual position for both of us to be in," said Ford.

"But we are both professionals and you just have to get on as normal."

Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Re: 12t's not to play for Tigers again

Post by kornboy130 »

...at Fly-Half.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

kornboy130 wrote:...at Fly-Half.
...... If no further injuries to Ford / Staunton / Flood.
Always a Tiger
Jazz Head
Tiger Cub

Post by Jazz Head »

This weekend at 12 ?.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

"I don't see the point in developing Billy"

Yes....and that's exactly why he's leaving....
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

AidanMcDowell wrote:"I don't see the point in developing Billy"

Yes....and that's exactly why he's leaving....
No he is leaving because he thinks he will be first choice 12 at Gloucester something he is not guaranteed here.

If you take quotes out of context you can suggest they mean anything.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

Perhaps I should have included a smiley... :smt002 ...I lifted the words out of their context quite deliberately! Just my little joke..probably not funny...
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

AidanMcDowell wrote:Perhaps I should have included a smiley... :smt002 ...I lifted the words out of their context quite deliberately! Just my little joke..probably not funny...
Fair enough, a smiley would have helped :smt023
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

AidanMcDowell wrote:Perhaps I should have included a smiley... :smt002 ...I lifted the words out of their context quite deliberately! Just my little joke..probably not funny...
Fair enough, a smiley would have helped :smt023
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

He's leaving because he can't get a regular place in the first XV. Prejudice or competence? Dunno.
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

At last a bit of transparency from the management. And a logical decison - Ford is a fly half and Twelvetrees is not. Would have liked to see Ford at 10 on other occasions, probably with Twelvetrees at 12. Hope Twelvetrees gets the odd part of a game in the centre, though, before his time is up.
beech

Post by beech »

It's about time some people looked to the future instead of living in the past. Perhaps 12T might have developed with more game time but that was not guaranteed. He decided to leave and not fight for his place like others have done - Sam Harrison for example who didn't throw his toys out of the pram when Jason Spice came. Why develop 12T when he's going - use him if we have to but we must play George Ford and Anthony Allan together if we are planning for next year.
tf22
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

This was coming from a mile away......look at previous leavers..Hippo, the Vest etc once agreed to move never got a sniff!!

He is leaving as he was never given a good run of games and felt Cockers didn't believe in him. I hope he goes on to shine elsewhere as I fel he has been treated badly imho!!
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

WiggoTiger wrote:He is leaving as he was never given a good run of games and felt Cockers didn't believe in him. !
The extra £60K pa and a two year contract may also have influenced him slightly!!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Jazz Head
Tiger Cub

Post by Jazz Head »

Maybe its because he wants to play 12 and he was put in and ask to play 10 that he got fed up with not being developed at 12.He stood up and did some good work at 10,but 12 is what he would like, nothing to do with fighting for a place.He was always a fill in and never the first choice at 10 or 12.Maybe he said I will stay if I can play 12 on that well reported monday, but he was always going to be asked to play 10 when Flood was not available.Words like that can be used to someones advantage.He will not play 10 as this title and quote.But when all your 12s are crook!. IMO.