Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

White cards for referees

Post by tigerburnie »

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/20022012/ ... cards.html

Not quite sure what this is meant to acheive?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tigerbeat

Re: White cards for referees

Post by Tigerbeat »

I guess that the ref showing a white card when a incident occurs but he is unable to identify the culprit, the citing commissioner can look at the incident in more detail.

Pleading guilty will also result in shorter sentences and they plan to do it by video conference to speed up the process.

Players will have to be very careful that they do not infringe and incur the wrath of the citing commissioner.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

So in order to speed up the game the ref will now pull out a white card and wave it in the air if they think a citable offense could have occurred. Why not just leave the current system with citing as it is, a citable offense could occur at every breakdown without the ref seeing so are they just going to run around with the card out all the time?
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

I think they use a similar system in the 13 man game where players are 'Placed on Report' if he ref things further investigation is required.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

..........Where as a white stick would suffice for most of them? I remain concerned that the bag snatchers, eye gougers, wedgie givers and stirrers of the excrement will STILL get away with provocation. "Old fashioned" methods sorted these out.

I hope the review will be complete and look at the whole incident not just "No 1 green just lamped 3 white!"
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

What this will achieve is the player who has committed an offence will find that the ref, rather than make a decision, will defer it to the citing officer. So the team he's cheated won't get any advantage from the ref giving an immediate punishment - yellow or red. Instead, the player may be cited and banned, thus giving an advantage to the next teams his club faces.

Talk about adding insult to injury.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

I rather liked the law "The referee is the sole arbiter of fact".

By all means give them assistants and technological support.

Refering to after match committees???

:smt009
Still keeping the faith!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Cliffeclimber wrote:What this will achieve is the player who has committed an offence will find that the ref, rather than make a decision, will defer it to the citing officer. So the team he's cheated won't get any advantage from the ref giving an immediate punishment - yellow or red. Instead, the player may be cited and banned, thus giving an advantage to the next teams his club faces.

That's kind of my way of thinking,seems like a licence to be indescisive
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I can think of one or two refs who should receive a white feather, and a lot who frequently wave a white flag (attached to their similarly coloured stick) when in front of the Shed!
Valhalla I am coming!
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

Still chuckling at Big Dai's "lamped" comment...brilliant !
scouse tiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by scouse tiger »

tigerburnie wrote:
Cliffeclimber wrote:What this will achieve is the player who has committed an offence will find that the ref, rather than make a decision, will defer it to the citing officer. So the team he's cheated won't get any advantage from the ref giving an immediate punishment - yellow or red. Instead, the player may be cited and banned, thus giving an advantage to the next teams his club faces.

That's kind of my way of thinking,seems like a licence to be indescisive

Can swing both ways on this one! Is the sitution quoted worse than someone being red or yellow carded for no reason - as with Slater this weekend.
My Wild Oats Have turned to Shredded Wheat
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

scouse tiger wrote: Is the sitution quoted worse than someone being red or yellow carded for no reason - as with Slater this weekend.
Small was simply wrong with this call. He could have benefitted from a TV replay.
Still keeping the faith!
sjm
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by sjm »

On the thread about TF and did he bottle it or not with this system it seems to me the the same could be said about the refs and the linesmen or what ever they are called these days
man in the suite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by man in the suite »

:smt005 why not white sticks for some of them :smt043
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Now lets be fair.

There are many occasions where the ref is not sure what he saw. And his assistants are of little or no help.

He could benefit from TV assistance!!

Should this assistance be available immediately - or only after the game?

To me it is a no brainer. The referee is the sole arbiter of fact - give him all the tools to assist him - but do not cricify him should he get it wrong!!
Still keeping the faith!