Ford MUST replace Flood

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Ford MUST replace Flood

Post by sapajo »

fentiger wrote:Mulipola was immense today. About time we had a true ball-carrying prop.
Indeed he was but I thought that the pack to a man gave their all for the shirt it was an incredible overall team performance :smt038 :smt041 :smt051 :smt053
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
MJ Chairman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MJ Chairman »

Sorry to disagree but I thought he had a steady game against an exceptional defence.

I assume this is the same George Ford who was supposedly so bad at the start of the season that members of this forum were calling for his head :smt027
Broadstaff

Post by Broadstaff »

norfolkexpat wrote:Sorry, Broadstaff, Flood is SUPPOSED to be an International Fly Half

He was playing in a Club Match ..!!

Truly shocking--as a previous post called it.
... but who says he's supposed to be an international fly half? Even internationals have limitations don't they? And if the captain and full back (who after all is an ex-international himself) is the best man and the coolest head to take the winning drop at goal, why shouldn't he do it? Surely it's best to recognise limitations rather than plough on regardless? Is Toby a regular drop goal man anyway? I don't think so. I sometimes think we expect all our players to be perfect in every part of their game. For example many on here have been quick to condemn Grindal in the past, but today he rose to the occasion, all be it in his limited way, and played a huge part in winning us the game.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Some of the posts are so negative. GM took the responsibility, which also split the rush to charge down.
Why not be positive? Rarely has Jimmy Grindal played so well- 4th choice scrumhalf. Mulipola was outstanding - again 4th choice.
Come on you miserable posters- this was a REAL tigers team performance, not pretty but we took their unbeaten home record, beat them for the first time in 18 months.
TF was not brilliant, but he made few errors and Champagne rugby wasn't needed today. A great result for the team and those fans who went.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Bowden Tiger wrote:Some of the posts are so negative. GM took the responsibility, which also split the rush to charge down.
Why not be positive? Rarely has Jimmy Grindal played so well- 4th choice scrumhalf. Mulipola was outstanding - again 4th choice.
Come on you miserable posters- this was a REAL tigers team performance, not pretty but we took their unbeaten home record, beat them for the first time in 18 months.
TF was not brilliant, but he made few errors and Champagne rugby wasn't needed today. A great result for the team and those fans who went.
Totally agree with you.Floody did everything expected of him today nothing amazing but as you say we didn't that today.He was sound in defence and made a few decent line breaks.So what if he wasn't confident of the drop.I'm sure he would have been condemned even more if he had a go and missed,and at the moment he can do without that sort of publicity.

I haven't gone through finger nails like I did today in a long time.Well done lads,now lets take this forward and get the TBP next week.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Maybe but the point is that we won today despite Flood not because of him. I've stated for a long time that much of his kicking out of hand is aimless, too often today, as on many other days we gave away good possession.

This performance also means England will start with Hodgson next week, Roberts and Davies will be licking their lips already at that prospect.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

First team to beat the saffas at home in around a year and still in the top four.A gutsy performance where the desire to play for the shirt was evident,exactly what we needed.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRrrrssssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

Ludicrous criticism of Flood on this board.

We won. Away. Against the best defence in the league.

Flood's tactical kicking may have been poor but he slotted several crucial tricky kicks and when he had the ball in hand, showed some great touches - see the timing of the pass in the build up to Slater's try. Flood has won far more games for us than he has lost, so the fact Norfolk Expat is one-eyed enough to call for Flood's head and NEVER play for England or Leicester again is nothing short of dillusional and part of the reason why players go into their shell - because they're afraid of being torn to pieces when making mistakes. This is the same guy who turned England into an exciting attacking threat in last season's autumn internationals and on the most part through the six nations.

He's not playing at his best but on his day he is the best fly half in the country - and after what he's done for the club, I think the least we can do is show him confidence when he requires it.

Re: the drop goal, he was in position, and yet had full confidence in the pack to get closer and make the drop goal easier. A smart call in hindsight. Murphy then stepped up and said "I'm the better drop kicker". Fair enough. Absolutely no bottling on Flood's part whatsoever. Get over your grudges, if you believe that.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Huge overstatement to say Flood was shocking. Ok he was not brilliant but he was solid in defense kicked well off the tee and did not make many mistakes. The fact he stepped aside to let Murphy take the drop does not necessarily show that he has no bottle, it shows he recognises his weakness and does the right thing for the team.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

tigerburnie wrote:First team to beat the saffas at home in around a year and still in the top four.A gutsy performance where the desire to play for the shirt was evident,exactly what we needed.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRrrrssssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Deeply disappointed that you are satisfied with minor achievements such as these and I think we should have scored at least 5 tries before we can be gracious! After all what's an away win against the league leaders? :smt023 :smt023
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Another thing I must say in Toby's favour was get got most of his kicks - only one was easy and two he missed were kickable but not simple.

Too often this season (Exeter at home, Newcastle away, London Irish at home etc) we've actually not played too badly but been let down by missed kicks.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

I really hope that TF returns to his best form, and then await the humble pie to be tasted by the negative posters. He wasn't at his best today, but surely did enough not to warrant the abuse he is getting from so called Tigers Fans.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Oh dear. Some people do like a moan :smt011

Flood was right not to kick from far out (as Barnes was calling for) and trusted his pack to improve the position. When we did get close Grindal did a carry himself (don't want a slow pass from a forward so right to delay until 9 back in positon) then Flood had to take it back in himself because the Saffas chase was good (totally the right move). When Flood got out of the ruck and back in position GM was there and claimed the responsibility.

Flood nailed some tricky kicks and whilst not setting the world alight did have a solid game. Why throw on an 18 year old in a crucial game, against the champions with a few minutes left???
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Absolutely no bottling on Flood's part whatsoever. Get over your grudges, if you believe that.[/quote]

Nowt as blind as those that cannot or will not see :smt015 :smt015 :smt015
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Bristol Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bristol Tiger »

I think the criticism of Flood on here is harsh. He kept us in the game today and while not his (and many Tiger's players) best game, it was enough to win us the match - and against a side that hasn't lost at home for 18 months.

Did he bottle the drop kick? Who knows? I always thought that this referred to an internal emotion (confidence) so how would I know the difference between deciding the kick wasn't on when Saracens charged through to defend and looking to protect and recycle the ball versus bottling it. Having three people able to drop kick around the posts at the end, smart play and let's face it, Geordan only just sneaked it over and he (IMHO) is our best drop kick taker by a long way.

As for next week, I would actually hope we use Ford - but mainly as I want to see him playing and building his game time up before we lose Twelvetrees and, potentially, Staunton. Ford needs to be ready as our number one fly-half is Flood is out of action for Tigers.

If Flood is with England, I'd like to see Twelvetrees on the bench (but fat chance I guess). If Flood is available, I would put him on the bench but being prepared to bring him on as soon as was needed if things aren't going well.

Saracens have shown that sensible rotation through the season helps build a style and structure that any of the 15/23 that take the field can work under. It would be great if we could say the same about Tigers (rather than excuse the fact we don't have our first choice 15 due to internationals, injuries, etc.).