What was that then? A message from Exeter.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

What was that then? A message from Exeter.

Post by jgriffin »

This weekend cost me about £200. I froze at Sandy Park but was buoyed up by the prospect of Manu getting in amongst them etc.
Why did the players not turn up....at least the ones I remember as Leicester TIGERS.
I saw some team that resembled them but they couldn't put away a poor Chiefs side. The bloke who looked like Manu kept getting the ball standing still, did a little jink or two then fell over. The bloke who looked like Flood couldn't kick anything and persisted in kicking the ball to the opposition, even when we turned them over or stole line-out ball.
Not good enough. Nowhere near good enough.
Embarrassing rubbish from players who generally did not seem to want to be there.
I am still fuming, as is Mrs G (who had her bum felt by a Chiefs supporter,so she stamped on his foot, hard).
We have gone to the dark side. New coaching team, please.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: What was that then? A message from Exeter.

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:Why did the players not turn up....at least the ones I remember as Leicester TIGERS.

Who knows? Following orders??
Embarrassing rubbish from players who generally did not seem to want to be there.

Absolutely!
I am still fuming, as is Mrs G (who had her bum felt by a Chiefs supporter,so she stamped on his foot, hard).

His foot? Why not a more tender part??
Still keeping the faith!
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

jgriffin wrote:This weekend cost me about £200. I froze at Sandy Park but was buoyed up by the prospect of Manu getting in amongst them etc.
Why did the players not turn up....at least the ones I remember as Leicester TIGERS.
I saw some team that resembled them but they couldn't put away a poor Chiefs side. The bloke who looked like Manu kept getting the ball standing still, did a little jink or two then fell over. The bloke who looked like Flood couldn't kick anything and persisted in kicking the ball to the opposition, even when we turned them over or stole line-out ball.
JG cannot understand you going to the dark side based on what you say. It sounds like the players did not perform and they need to take a long hard look at themselves. A coach cannot be blamed for the school boy errors
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

jgriffin wrote:This weekend cost me about £200. I froze at Sandy Park but was buoyed up by the prospect of Manu getting in amongst them etc.
The Tigers natural game of late then?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Not if the players--a la nancyball--have lost respect for the Coaches...
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The failure was a failure of tactics and preparation, not player errors. The players did not stand flat and play patacake passes as 'school boy errors - that has been the backs play ALL SEASON. Wake up before it's too late.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

norfolkexpat wrote:Not if the players--a la nancyball--have lost respect for the Coaches...
You might think that!!

I could not possibly comment!!
Still keeping the faith!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

I feel sorry for you JG that it was such a wasted week end. Maybe the club will reimburse you like they do a la wendyball when the team are so poor.
Oh no they wont as they see nothing is wrong :smt013 :smt013
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
bluehumber
Tiger Cub

Post by bluehumber »

Who knows? Following orders??

Recently after a particularly bad game I happened to have a few words with one of our senior squad ( he was trying to slip out quite possibly embarrassed not only by his own inept performance but the team as a whole )
When asked about the dire performance and tactics, I was informed that the team were following the coaches instructions, if they did not they would be substituted. If this is true, there are only 2 people to blame for the tactics, but the lack of passion and commitment can only be down to the players! When the ST holders stop parting with their hard earned cash the board might start to take a look at the way we have been performing and not at the REVENUE.
nasher

Post by nasher »

At last the assassination of the coaches is complete, a player says they were following coaches orders or else! What about these so called international professional rugby players ? In some games they cannot catch the ball,decline to tackle or tackle poorly and continually kick away the ball- usually to a member of the opposition coveniently positioned to attack- the coaches fault? The game is more like soccer everyday, the players do not turn up - sack the manager.Look at Youngs on Saturday for the first ten minutes he was still on the coach. It is time the players looked at themselves and their performances - they take the pay so play the game.
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

I've stopped happy clapping. We're ordinary. The table shows us as 5th, but study the stats and we're just one of half a dozen teams who have done nothing but play like mid table also-rans.

Tigers have conceded an average of 24 points per league game. Worse than anyone except Newcastle.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
beech

Post by beech »

Like every Tigers supporter who was at the game on Saturday I was disgusted at the performance. I am not qualified to complain about the team's tactics as I am not present at the team briefing but I cannot believe that players are asked to miss penalty kicks, have kicks charged down and told to amble up the field after aimless kicks. We were all over them at lineouts, it does not take a genius to know that if you're not going to chase the kick ahead it is essential that you find touch. We are talking about experienced and, in some cases, international players - surely they must accept some responsibility
tf22
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

If one or two of the team had got the hump and not played well then they should take the blame. As the whole team appears to have lost the appetite and desire for the game the cause has to lie somewhere else. Yes, you argue that professionals should do their best regardless but if your heart isn't in it you are never going give of your best.

In my experience too many people don't know the difference between being a good manager and a complete (insert your own expletive here). It looks as if the management at Tigers has done the job of the old RSM in creating a tight knit group through adversity but failed to give them a cause they can believe in and fight for.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Kinoulton wrote:I've stopped happy clapping. We're ordinary. The table shows us as 5th, but study the stats and we're just one of half a dozen teams who have done nothing but play like mid table also-rans.

Tigers have conceded an average of 24 points per league game. Worse than anyone except Newcastle.
It gives me no pleasure in welcoming you to 'the dark side' Kinoulton. Now you are beginning to feel the disappointment and frustration we have for most of the season. Horrible isn't it.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think you can blame the players for some stuff, and especially Flood who I thought was abysmal, but looked like he had no confidence at all. Manu looked like he didn't want to be there, especially after AT went off. The ref let them get away with some obvious misaligned hits and wheels.
BUT all season we have kicked away turnover possession. All season we have played flat and taken the ball standing still. All season we have swung the ball this way and that way, and then immediately we've played tighter, scored easily. Then reverted.
This is tactics, and seemingly unchangeable ones. Hence my conversion to the dark side this weekend.
And the Undercroft Bar was so cold the excellent Otter beer nearly froze my head off.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95