Tigers Falcons today

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Tigers Falcons today

Post by jgriffin »

First time I've listened to a match. Strewth. I'd rather not in future, just frustrating. Just really glad we are winning on such an awful day. :smt023
Seems to be lots of turnovers......lots of knock ons......Bleddyn doesn't think much of Tigers handling, and where I live in the sticks it is rather deep in snow so my handling wouldn't have been any good!
Mrs G wrapped up and asleep. England match to come. Roll on Exeter next Saturday.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers Falcons today

Post by Darc Tiger »

Hard to judge a performance in such poor conditions. A win, is a win, is a win. And we seemed to dominate the game. Sounds like Kitch is coming good.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Commentators saying it was a scrappy game and we will need to improve greatly to get anything from Exeter next week .....

With only Alex, Floody & Smurph to come back into the side, that is a big ask.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Sounded awful.Sounded like Morris had a nightmare.

Bleddyn says he spoke to Manu at half time and he hopes to on the bench next week at Sandy park. :smt038

Just settled down to watch England.Sounds a great atmosphere.
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Manu expected to be on the bench next week. Can't wait to have him back!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Good to hear that both Toby and Newbs got a run out, and that Matt Smith had another good match.
Valhalla I am coming!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Mad dash back from Welford Rd. I don't think Morris had a nightmare as such, had a good game under the highball apart from 1, made a few odd decisions in our own 22 (long pass to hamilton being one for me) which put a bit of pressure on us and a couple of skewed kicks that either went straight into touch or nowhere/down Newcastle's throats, and possibly looked indecisive immediately before said skewed kicks.

Didn't envy the lads out on the pitch today, was very cold and handling couldn't've been easy.

David Rose not really playing any offside at the breakdown didn't help much at times, but we got the benefit of his decisions in the first 10 minutes. No points on the board when they were down to 14 was poor. Not enough running onto the ball at pace. Centres ending up in wide channels and leaving nowhere for the wingers to go - IF they got the ball, and a little bit of players getting isolated when they stepped in from wide. We made gaps out wide but sadly looked like we didn't know where to go when we got there at times.

BUT, Newcastle did disrupt and defend well enough giving a decent enough account of themselves for a young side. Flood looked sharp when he came on IMO and Sam Harrison was good, finding gaps. Steve Mafi had a good game, plenty of hard yards won. Mulipola had some good carries when he came on. Newby looked keen and eager. Kitchener had a few good carries and looked more like the player we thought we were getting.

There seemed to be confusion when Waldrom scored the first try, nobody seemed to know he'd scored, including some of the players, Rose looked more like he'd given Falcons a penalty.

Couldn't see much towards the end as the snow was coming down harder. As Darc said, a win is a win is a win.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the BBC's report on ceefax for this (I looked at HT in the Scotland-England game for my mothers partner) consisted of saying Toby Flood might be fit for England next week after playing today and mentioned the score but that's it no real review of the game itself
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

A semi final is something to look forwards to, good result in the conditions.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

I kind of enjoyed the match. Staunton standing flat (though not particularly imaginative), I love Hawkins direct running. Also, we need to keep Mulipola. I laughed pretty hard when he was running with a Newc forward literally hanging off him! I thought Morris was excellent under the high ball.

Not so sure Smith had a good match. Back to the blinkers I thought.

And don't get me started on the ref. How Newcastle can be penalised for killing the ball so much yet only get a yellow with 12 mins remaining is beyond me. Also, funny as it was that Julian was penalised for punching, a) shouldn't it have been a card, and b) I didn't see that, but I saw the Newc no.5 punch him in what I can only assume was retaliation, and that was much more obvious, yet no recrimination for him? And finally, we seemed to be pretty strong in the scrum, yet I only remember us being penalised, and when we had most to lose from it near their line.

Ah well. It was a W.
watto100

Post by watto100 »

sorry to disagree but I thought Morris had a good game, looked fairly solid under the high ball with a decent break and cant be too far off the first 23 for my money. From the forwards thought Kitchener showed up well as did mafi and waldrom always makes ground with ball in hand.
I do hope that flood needs another week with us to prove full fitness before an england recall.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Jay C wrote:Commentators saying it was a scrappy game and we will need to improve greatly to get anything from Exeter next week .....
[/quote]
kpbates wrote:Sounded awful.Sounded like Morris had a nightmare.

Bleddyn says he spoke to Manu at half time and he hopes to on the bench next week at Sandy park. :smt038
That's the trouble with listening to Bleddyn and his miserable side kick.

The conditions were awful (Hamilton looked frozen by the end of the game). Morris had a solid game and took most of the high balls well. Waldrom and Mafi gave us go forward in the first half. Staunton was good without being spectacular and controlled the game. Flood was good when he came on and Smith was steady and showed up more in the second half. All in all a good win in poor conditions.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Sorry - I belong to the Morris was a bit shaky brigade - and that hospital pass to Hamilton ! . Apart from a good game from Harrison the backs were pretty average with a completely unthreatening display from the midfield 3 .Allen in particular is very slow , both at getting the ball wide when he should do and also deciding to go for the gap , which almost seems a last resort option .A dull match on a :censored: cold afternoon .
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

parkerd68 wrote:Also, funny as it was that Julian was penalised for punching, a) shouldn't it have been a card, and b) I didn't see that, but I saw the Newc no.5 punch him in what I can only assume was retaliation, and that was much more obvious, yet no recrimination for him?

Ah well. It was a W.
From where I was sitting it looked like a bit of pushing and shoving and i did not see White throw a punch.

Thought Harrison was great again today, the difference between him and Grindal was huge.
Cliffeclimber
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Cliffeclimber »

Taking the conditions into account, I thought everyone on the pitch did well just to keep going. Handling was very difficult, and running at pace with snow in your eyes must make finding a pass trickier. So, well done, boys.

However, our backs still can't off-load with a player running an angle. The pass is always to someone who is lying flat and static, which makes them an easy target.

That said, we ought to beat them more easily next time, with more of our players back (unless they get broken playing in the 6Ns).