Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Pete
Super User
Super User

Graham Henry agrees

Post by Pete »

A quote from an interview of Graham Henry in the Guardian:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ja ... aham-henry
Graham Henry, the former New Zealand and Wales coach, has described England as "the world champions of wasting talent" and has criticised them for playing "a game based on fear". Henry, whose All Black side lifted the Webb Ellis Cup last year, believes there will be no consistent improvement in England's results against the leading southern hemisphere teams without a widespread change in attitude.

According to Henry, England will also struggle to score tries against decent teams in the Six Nations and badly need to escape from the creative rut into which they have sunk. "England has top-drawer attacking players [but] they are seldom used," Henry said. "It sometimes seems that England are world champions at wasting talent.

"At national level and at club level English teams are far too worried about securing possession. They are obsessed with sealing off the ball carrier. They are paranoid that an opponent might steal the ball and so everyone jams on the brakes and seals off possession. It is fearful and often illegal. OK, so the opposition can't get at the ball, but there is no dynamic forward momentum and nobody is being shifted out of the defensive line. No wonder England had trouble scoring tries against the better teams at the World Cup."

So he agrees with those of us who wish to see a change in the way Tigers play.
maskedsquid
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Graham Henry agrees

Post by maskedsquid »

That was mean Pete. I thought we had a new director of rugby when I saw the subject title :smt009
It's only cheating if you get caught.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

IMHO the problem the Tigers have is actually securing their ball. We actually score more tries than most other teams but this season we are not defending as well as before and securing the ball.

Also do you really want to believe the southern hemisphere they dont want to see competition at the break-down and in the scrums. All they want is rugby league style of game where you are allowed to attack until they knock on or kick the ball away. If the ref's had applied the strict letter of the law then I doubt if NZ would have won the world cup.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

According to Henry, England will also struggle to score tries against decent teams in the Six Nations and badly need to escape from the creative rut into which they have sunk. "England has top-drawer attacking players [but] they are seldom used," Henry said. "It sometimes seems that England are world champions at wasting talent.
For 'England' read 'Tigers'. For 'Six Nations', read 'Heineken Cup'.

It's not a case of being able to score more tries than most teams, it's a case of being able to score more tries against the best opposition. Tigers can do the former, no problem. But the latter, no way, at least not with their current mind set.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Well put pete .
boon

Post by boon »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:IMHO the problem the Tigers have is actually securing their ball. We actually score more tries than most other teams but this season we are not defending as well as before and securing the ball.

quite so re defence - tigers have scored more tries than anyone in the prem, but conceded more (many more than the other top 4 teams)than anyone but falcons.
if you are happy and you know it, you are unusual.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

I think this is actually part of Henry's application for the England coach's job! :smt002
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I would rather see him at WR!
Valhalla I am coming!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Also do you really want to believe the southern hemisphere they dont want to see competition at the break-down and in the scrums. All they want is rugby league style of game where you are allowed to attack until they knock on or kick the ball away
I think you have missed Henry's point completely. England and English teams lack of "go forward" mentality in open play limits their game. The English are more concerned with not losing possession than attempting to attack without fear. High risk reaps high rewards just as low risk reaps low rewards. In my experience it is much easier to ruck going forwards than backwards or sideways so if you attack and support in the right areas the breakdown should take care of itself. As far as set piece ball goes doesn't everyone north and south want to win this area but to base your whole game on set piece ball will always be limited by the organised nature of the man for man starting positions.
Cheery chappy
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

see Ulster vs Tigers Fri 13th Jan for a demonstration of what Henry is talking about!
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

"A generation of promising backs are dying on their feet."
Some people on this website still display thoughts that long ago King Canute considered he had got rid of by plonking his throne and himself on the beach as the tide swept in over him.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

While what he says is true, and would also apply to the current Tigers team, I can't help thinking that the true world champions of wasting talent would be his NZ team in 2007...
yellow_balaclava_hunter
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by yellow_balaclava_hunter »

What Hypocrisy.

'They are obsessed with sealing off the ball carrier.'

Isn't this what McCaw has made a career out of?

"We want our supporting players to get under the opposition and to move them backwards. We flood past the ball to create good possession for our strike runners.

Translated into English this means McCaw et al coming in from the side and diving over in front of the ball to stop the opposition from competing. Thus this is why teams like England are now ponderous at the break down as they know that it is impossible to compete whilst referees allow teams to seal the ball off. Therefore teams like England employ a strategy of maintaining a defensive line rather than compete for turnovers when defending and ensure solid possession when attacking.
Excuse me. Where do I get a yellow balaclava from?
I asked Gavin Henson if they sold them at Matalan but he said they didn't because they messed his hair up.