Sale target George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tonyw

Sale target George Ford

Post by tonyw »

Report out today that sale are targeting Ford, the same column that reported Billy was going to Gloucester 2 weeks ago and has got several other transfers right.
Lets hope we are not going to lose another young player.
Also reported that Bowden is very close to a deal with Tigers.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Sale target George Ford

Post by PM76 »

I hope not, with Staunton leaving and not being replaced with an out and out 10 he would get a lot more gametime. I would be really annoyed if Ford left, but from his point of view players who have the potential to be internationals have no problem breaking into the first team e.g. Cole, Youngs, Manu, and I would put Ford in the same bracket. Hopefully just a rumour.

I read on another forum (somewhere) that Sale were interested in Harrison before he re-signed, hopefully George can do the same.

Good news about Bowden though, exactly the player we need to replace Billy and Jez, he plays 10 and 12 excellently and is a good attacking player.
hugh78
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by hugh78 »

shock, horror. I'm sure more than just Sale are interested in the young international player of the year. I hope it wont be just money that swings it.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm confident he'll stay, at this stage in his development.

If he's not good enough to be first choice by the age of 23, maybe he'll move on to a lesser club at that point.
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

Tiglon wrote:If he's not good enough to be first choice by the age of 23, maybe he'll move on to a lesser club at that point.
How old is 12T again .........
Always a Tiger
dontlookdown

Post by dontlookdown »

bluntiger wrote:How old is 12T again .........
7 years so far..
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

bluntiger wrote:
Tiglon wrote:If he's not good enough to be first choice by the age of 23, maybe he'll move on to a lesser club at that point.
How old is 12T again .........
I believe that was the, er... 'joke' that was intended.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm not sure what you mean!

I was merely expressing the opinion that by 23 a back should expect to be a first choice in his position. Either by being good enough at Tigers or moving elsewhere. I've always thought that 23 is the age where "having potential" is no longer sufficient - for player or club.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

We must hang on to Ford. He is an undoubted talent who I think will be the England 10 come the 2015 WC.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

But it might make more sense for Tigers the CLUB to let him go and buy a competent SH number 10 in (like Bowden?). You no longer have to live with Ford's learning curve. Likewise at centre where the anticipation now I expect is that Forsyth will assume the 12T second fiddle role and a purchase of a SH centre will occur.
Perhaps Tigers are resigning themselves to the need to buy non- or ex-internationals in to compete in the HC as well as the other comp. Why glory in the number of internationals you have when it knackers your campaigns and your ££££?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

jgriffin wrote:But it might make more sense for Tigers the CLUB to let him go and buy a competent SH number 10 in (like Bowden?). You no longer have to live with Ford's learning curve. Likewise at centre where the anticipation now I expect is that Forsyth will assume the 12T second fiddle role and a purchase of a SH centre will occur.
Perhaps Tigers are resigning themselves to the need to buy non- or ex-internationals in to compete in the HC as well as the other comp. Why glory in the number of internationals you have when it knackers your campaigns and your ££££?
In that case let Flood go.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
jgriffin wrote:But it might make more sense for Tigers the CLUB to let him go and buy a competent SH number 10 in (like Bowden?). You no longer have to live with Ford's learning curve. Likewise at centre where the anticipation now I expect is that Forsyth will assume the 12T second fiddle role and a purchase of a SH centre will occur.
In that case let Flood go.
Funny you should say that ............

And Youngs, and now Waldron and of course Deacon!!!
Still keeping the faith!
man in the suite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by man in the suite »

as fords family live in manchester it might make a difference to him moving.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

man in the suite wrote:as fords family live in manchester it might make a difference to him moving.
Are you subtley suggesting that Castro (part) owning restaurants in Leicester and Market Harborough had something to do with him staying?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

If Tigers bring in another good 10, then George Ford will have all the motivation he needs to move elsewhere.