Sale target George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Super User
Super User

Re: Sale target George Ford

Post by 4071 »

"We lose him now to the England Under-20s, which is frustrating because that takes preference over the LV= Cup.
Apparently not for Saints, who have been allowed to keep Nutley and Elliot.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

4071 wrote:
"We lose him now to the England Under-20s, which is frustrating because that takes preference over the LV= Cup.
Apparently not for Saints, who have been allowed to keep Nutley and Elliot.
We volunteered to release him having such a valuable back up in Staunton and with Flood on the bench?

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Bowden is not in the same class as Ford or even Staunton. Keep Staunton and don't go for Bowden! Personally I'm not impressed with him. Goppeth.Yes.To play full back and give us another kicker. Now that would be great!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Newcastle Falcons are delighted to announce that Jimmy Gopperth has signed a three year contract extension at Kingston Park.

Looks like Tigers will be looking elsewhere!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Tigerbeat wrote:Newcastle Falcons are delighted to announce that Jimmy Gopperth has signed a three year contract extension at Kingston Park.

Why do we need to look elsewhere? Or anywhere?

Still keeping the faith!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Tigerbeat wrote:Newcastle Falcons are delighted to announce that Jimmy Gopperth has signed a three year contract extension at Kingston Park.

Why do we need to look elsewhere? Or anywhere?

Tigers will need three fly halves next season - Flood, Ford and another, if Staunton is leaving at the end of the season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I agree Tigerbeat, Toby and Ford are likely to be on England duty. This season we had Jezza but didn't play him, using a 12 as a 10, and suffering as a result. A third 10 is likely to get a significant amount of game time.

The question, though, is should we go for experience we can use now, or for someone who can form a relationship with Harrison for the future?
Valhalla I am coming!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

how long does Toby Flood have left on his current deal? that could also play a part in whether the young lad is willing to stay or not
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fleabane wrote:I agree Tigerbeat, Toby and Ford are likely to be on England duty. This season we had Jezza but didn't play him, using a 12 as a 10, and suffering as a result. A third 10 is likely to get a significant amount of game time.

The question, though, is should we go for experience we can use now, or for someone who can form a relationship with Harrison for the future?
What astonished me was the the very little time we saw Jezza at 10 and 12T at 12, it looked good. But then RC/MOC had their favourites, it seems.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchesterevening ... n-fly-half

Lets hope that Ford is close to putting pen to paper before he is snapped up!!
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Don't see why George would want to be number 2 at Sale as opposed to number 2 at Tigers. In fact I would say being number 2 at Tigers would be the better option as with Flood likely to spend a decent amount of the season away on international duty George will see more game time. Add that to the fact he gets to play bigger matches (we are more likely to get regular HC games etc), play with the current England 9 in BY and possibly a future England 9 in Harrison and to me it is a no brainer. Besides, if you wanted to play in front of a tiny home crowd each week you would be better off heading south to Saracens or Bath rather than freezing your backside off at Saints :smt003

For any of you not sure of George's undoubted ability check out the highlights to the recent Eng U20 win over the Scots. If only the senior side could play like this!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj_7OZLk8bw
suttyprop
Tiger Cub

Post by suttyprop »

Must admit the last time I saw George was some time ago in an a league game what a difference 18 months makes he is a massive prospect for Tigers and England I just hope he is brought on gradually and not rushed
5m pushover against the head!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

suttyprop wrote:I just hope he is brought on gradually and not rushed
No chance with the current DoR!!!!
Still keeping the faith!
suttyprop
Tiger Cub

Post by suttyprop »

Its a worry Bll just look what happened to Cipriani. George is far more grounded so big plus lets hope he puts pen to paper soon.
5m pushover against the head!
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

suttyprop wrote:Must admit the last time I saw George was some time ago in an a league game what a difference 18 months makes he is a massive prospect for Tigers and England I just hope he is brought on gradually and not rushed
To be fair, he was playing like that for the U20s last year as well - he won three Man Of The Match awards in the last 6N. There is a step-up in pace and class between U20s and senior rugby, and Ford hasn't adjusted to it yet.

Consider that one of Scotland U20's best players last weekend was the scrum-half Scott Steele. He plays for Leicester. But most Leicester fans wouldn't even know the name, let alone recognise him, because he's that far down the pecking order.

It's easy for Ford at U20 level - he is a class apart from most of his contemporaries - but it's still going to be a struggle to step up and play the same way at club level. We've seen glimpses, but haven't really seen him dominate in the way he does at age-grade. And probably won't for another year or so.