Sale target George Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Sale target George Ford

Post by Bill W (2) »

Pete wrote:If Tigers bring in another good 10, then George Ford will have all the motivation he needs to move elsewhere.
Just so!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

So what do we do when Flood is away, and Ford picks up a knock? Who is next in line? Should we keep Jezza as 3rd choice?
suttyprop
Tiger Cub

Post by suttyprop »

If jezza would be happy as 3rd choice I think he would be a perfect fit he is steady and pretty reliable knows his team mates well and our style of play so there would be good continuity
5m pushover against the head!
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Sounds like we are close to securing Bowden which I think is a smart move. Flood and Ford are our main 10's but if there is a problem Bowden has the ability to cover. Bowden and Allen can then fight it out for the 12 shirt. This is how we want it - two quality players in each position with the ability to cover each other in an emergency.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

as fords family live in manchester it might make a difference to him moving
His dad is now working for the Falcons and his brother is still playing for Leeds. Not sure how much of a family home it would be at the minute. We'd be better served giving him more game time now as he is improving and at 18 could be a very handy player for Tigers for more than a decade. Give him a new deal and tell him he'll be the back up 10 and then sign a Bowden or similar 10/12 figure to offer competition at 10 and 12, make sure Forsyth and Ford are pushing on and competing for those places.
Pete
Super User
Super User

Post by Pete »

So you think Bowden is coming to play third fiddle after Flood and Ford? Surely that's way too much fiddling!

And maybe to challenge AA for 12, when everyone knows that even a half fit AA will always be shown preference?
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

Pete wrote:So you think Bowden is coming to play third fiddle after Flood and Ford? Surely that's way too much fiddling!

And maybe to challenge AA for 12, when everyone knows that even a half fit AA will always be shown preference?
In terms of 10 then I think Bowden will be happy to play third fiddle. He is a 12 by nature but with the ability to step in to cover 10 in an emergency. He probably doesn't want to keep playing 10, as he has already made his aspirations clear that he fancys the England 12 shirt when he qualifies, but he will step in and help out at fly half when needed.

Brave move by the lad coming to fight an established 12 for the club shirt. It would be much easier for him to walk to a club where the shirt will be gifted but that doesn't sound his style - you have to respect that!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Will S wrote:
Pete wrote:So you think Bowden is coming to play third fiddle after Flood and Ford? Surely that's way too much fiddling!

In terms of 10 then I think Bowden will be happy to play third fiddle. He is a 12 by nature but with the ability to step in to cover 10 in an emergency. He probably doesn't want to keep playing 10, as he has already made his aspirations clear that he fancys the England 12 shirt when he qualifies, but he will step in and help out at fly half when needed.

Brave move by the lad coming to fight an established 12 for the club shirt. It would be much easier for him to walk to a club where the shirt will be gifted but that doesn't sound his style - you have to respect that!
What a snide post! But consistent, admittedly. Continuing in the vein thus established, I am so honoured that Bowden will come here to help his England aspirations, and to help us out. :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

No one asked you to be honoured, it was merely a suggestion that you should show some respect for a bloke who comes to challenge an established player and push himself thus giving his all for his new team as opposed to joining a lesser club and walking in to the shirt.

Also Sale can have all the interest they like - Tigers know they're on to a good thing with Ford and he has clearly been ear marked as the next "big one" through our academy - following Croft, Cole, Youngs and Tuilagi.
JerryGas

Post by JerryGas »

Spot on Kornboy - always enjoy reading your transfer rumour round-ups - and I don't expect to see George Ford feature in them for the next 12 years or more!!!
Jerry, Crumbie terrace season ticket holder from South Glos.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

By the way I thought Fords older brother was at Saints.

Anyway, how about Ford at 10 and Flood at 12?
bluntiger
Super User
Super User

Post by bluntiger »

bc wrote:By the way I thought Fords older brother was at Saints.

Anyway, how about Ford at 10 and Flood at 12?
Was being the operative word. He left last summer and returned to Leeds I believe.
Always a Tiger
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Kornboy, your 2nd paragraph is the way I've felt for a few days. They can ask but they're not going to get!
As regards George's bro - he was back at Leeds when they played Moseley (I think it was) and he played centre to Georges 10.
Tigers - true Champions!
man in the suite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by man in the suite »

you need to scratch your head bill mind the splinters
norfolkexpat
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by norfolkexpat »

Leicester would be stupid beyond belief to allow Ford to go--if its true.
His vision, ability and in hand thought process especially with his grubbers is way above Floods'

By all means transform Flood into a 12 to accomodate Ford---however with Burns looking like the next England 10 , it could be we get Flood back a lot more often....

A Harrison / Ford combo with Youngs/ Bowden back up doesnt sound too bad .
but no doubt Youngs would take umbrage and go elsewhere.

Looks like the Tigers 'stars' are going to be systematically targetted now, especially as the dam is starting to break......