Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

adamv6
Gold Member
Gold Member

ERC display of crass stupidity

Post by adamv6 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 741366.stm
Heineken Cup organisers turned down Ulster's request that their quarter-final with Munster should not be played on Easter Sunday.
Excellent work.

Ireland, a nation of mainly Catholics, for whom Easter Sunday is the pinnacle of their faith year. I know Religion/Politics and sport don't make great bed partners, but surely the ERC can see the issue here? :smt017
JGriffin - "The outright winner was the ref who blew himself inside out."
http://incoherenttwaddle.blogspot.com/
Pete
Super User
Super User

Re: ERC display of crass stupidity

Post by Pete »

Will ERC be left with 'egg' on their face?
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

Suspect Sky rather than ERC dictate terms ... ERC just take the flak (and the money)
Kinoulton
Super User
Super User

Post by Kinoulton »

It does seem a bit insensitive.

Would the ERC be happy to be called to a meeting at 12 noon on Christmas Day?

Probably not.
Kicks and scrums and ruck and roll.....Is all my brain and body need!
Ze Stade Fan
Super User
Super User

Post by Ze Stade Fan »

I haven't set foot in Ireland for quite a bit of time now but I vividly recall that pubs were closed on Easter Sunday and Monday, at least one hour (aptly called the "holy hour"). Poor stadium goers ! :smt009
Nemo auditur propriam turpitudinem allegans
JohnI
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by JohnI »

Fully understand the frustration from the irish however where does the line stop? Euan Murray stuck by and still sticks by his religious beliefs not to play on a Sunday so if at Club level the games can be changed then why not at individual level also? Do clubs then start asking not to play on a sunday because they have 2 players who wont play sundays? Got to have a level playing field at individual and club level.

The fault still lies with the ERC who should have been mindful of the fact BEFORE agreeing to the dates and publishing them but as saomeone said above the ERC or RFU no longer run rugby in Europe SKY and ESPN DO!!!!!!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

There is a huge difference between normal Sundays and Easter Sunday for those who believe. However, you never can tell looking in from the outside what will or won't matter deeply.

I'm English and unworried about such stuff but I like to think I am duly concious of those who it does matter to and the decision does look at best insensitive and unthinking and at worst deliberately offensive. I'll be intrigued to see the reaction in Ireland. I look forward to seeing the opinion of some of our Irish forum members.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

Since when did the Catholic faith have a doctrine that sport would not be played or watched on Easter Sunday? In any event, Roman Catholics do not form a majority of people in Northern Ireland/Ulster. I suppose we will see if the stadium is empty to see how firm the supporters are in their convictions, the team state they will have no problem shifting their tickets. In my opinion it is hardly crass stupidity. Italy, France and Ireland are all Roman Catholic countries, and the weekend of Easter Sunday was to be the weekend of the 1/4 finals at the time all the teams agreed to take part.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Johnnyg wrote:Since when did the Catholic faith have a doctrine that sport would not be played or watched on Easter Sunday? In any event, Roman Catholics do not form a majority of people in Northern Ireland/Ulster. I suppose we will see if the stadium is empty to see how firm the supporters are in their convictions, the team state they will have no problem shifting their tickets. In my opinion it is hardly crass stupidity. Italy, France and Ireland are all Roman Catholic countries, and the weekend of Easter Sunday was to be the weekend of the 1/4 finals at the time all the teams agreed to take part.
Good set of points - as I said earlier I'll be intrigued to see the outcome.

Just to be picky the bit about Roman Catholics is a bit of a red-herring, as the predominantly protestant churches in the north are just as devout (many even more so).
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
TigerAlex
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerAlex »

Johnnyg wrote:Since when did the Catholic faith have a doctrine that sport would not be played or watched on Easter Sunday? In any event, Roman Catholics do not form a majority of people in Northern Ireland/Ulster. I suppose we will see if the stadium is empty to see how firm the supporters are in their convictions, the team state they will have no problem shifting their tickets. In my opinion it is hardly crass stupidity. Italy, France and Ireland are all Roman Catholic countries, and the weekend of Easter Sunday was to be the weekend of the 1/4 finals at the time all the teams agreed to take part.
I don't think it's so much a case of believing that sport shouldn't be played on Easter Sunday for religious reasons. I think it's more that, like at Christmas, a lot of people consider it as time to spend with their families, have a nice lunch etc. Going to a rugby match may be a nice family thing to do, but that only works if the supporters and their families are in Munster. Think about it: you've invited the family over (or you've made plans to visit your family). Maybe it's one of two times you really get to see your family (the other being Christmas Day) because they're national holidays. It's not so much religious convictions preventing them from going to the game, but not wanting to miss a big family occasion.
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

It was Ulster (a mainly Protestant province) that made the request not, surprisingly, Munster (a wholly Catholic province).

What would Tigers' position have been had they qualified?
ozwaldcopperpot
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ozwaldcopperpot »

some unhappy bunnies at the momemt, concern about the pub's :smt005 transport etc, religion come's a poor 3rd for most. no choice but to get on with it, TV rules.

Munster have refused to play the game at "the bedpan" (fair play to them) the IRFU have got a tad upset at the thought of €500,000 going down the urinal :smt002

Ulster have played once in the HC on a Sunday (in Ireland) some of u might remember it :smt002
...Devil's advocate
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Zdzislaw wrote:It was Ulster (a mainly Protestant province) that made the request not, surprisingly, Munster (a wholly Catholic province).

What would Tigers' position have been had they qualified?
I have previously not entered into this discussion.

Insofar as I am aware Easter Sunday is recognised by both Protestant and Catholic versions of the Christian Faith as the day Jesus rose from death. There is some debate as to which Sunday it is (the Greek Orthodox Church, for instance observes a different Easter).

Nonetheless, very insensitive, bordering on provocative. Although choosing Good Friday for the match would have been equally so.
Still keeping the faith!
Zdzislaw

Post by Zdzislaw »

Spot on Bill W.

Playing on Easter Saturday would not have been as bad. I have a feeling that if Ulster & Munster protest, and perhaps some of the other teams do as well, ERC may budge.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

If Munster were to protest it would be rank hypocrisy as Munster played Leinster in Limerick last season in the Pro 12 on Good Friday. Most of those going to the match and many in Limerick were more concerned to ensure that the Limerick pubs were allowed to operate on the day (normally they'd be shut). As ever in modern life money talks loudest and the pubs were open.

With regard to the previous poster who suggested that Munster is wholly Catholic perhaps he is referring to the Munster squad as I would be very, very surprised if there isn't one single protestant citizen in the 6 or 7 counties of which the province of Munster is comprised?