Billy's off...

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Maximus66

Re: Billy's off...

Post by Maximus66 »

Allen is an out an out workhorse in the mould of Hipkiss in my opinion; quiet and solid in the main, but equally capable of brilliance. He never seems to get much credit for that here.

12T, Billy, 36, Twelvetrees. Are we as much in love with the name and the golden flowing locks or the player himself? Everyone loves an icon.

For what it's worth, I'm bitterly disappointed by his wanting to leave, but the guy wants the starting berth and it's his choice. I've no ear to the negotiation that goes on behind closed doors, though someone on here may, I'm sure.
However, if you feel you are not happy and/or not being fairly treated by your employer, you look for another job, that's what he has chosen to do.

Billy, I'm sure you won't be reading this, but I wish you every success in the future, (though not against Tigers :smt002 )
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Not convinced Geordan aint past his best......not sure Matt Tait can last 80 minutes let alone a season....Benjamin has a lot to prove.

Our tight 5 is good, with decent cover.

Our half backs are good, we could do with another back-up 10 who is better than the hapless Jezza until George Ford fills out.

Our centres are good but lack depth with 36 gone.

Our back 3 don't fill me with confidence. Hamilton is shot, Murphy knocking on a bit, Tait a chocolate soldier. Morris should get more game time which is good. I liked Agulla......
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

Iggy wrote: The coach obviously has favourites and this time it has cost him the very real prospect of having a club midfield of 9, 10, 12, 13 all turning out for England together.
How does this benefit Tigers exactly?
Have you not taken notice of the debacle that has been this world cup year?

Sorry, but I'm more club than country.
Each to his own :smt012
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

I'm a club man too but even during the 6N we'd have:

A future England 9 in Sam or Mickey
The next England 10 in George Ford
Solid back-up at 12 in the shape of Anthony Allen
The sort of okayish Matt Smith at 13.

Not too shabby - Cockerill's way lead to 36 going. He was being selected behind JEREMY STAUNTON :censored: - that's gotta hurt!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="Iggy"]Not been on here in ages - so long in fact I forgot my login! However, I felt compelled to have a look in light of 36's departure....

...I am shocked but not surprised. Cockerill has handled the situation appallingly, earlier this season Jeremy Journeyman Staunton was picked ahead of 36 on numerous occasions, imagine the damage THAT would do to a players confidence (about the same damage as being selected behind James Grindall did to Sam and Mickey?) . The coach obviously has favourites and this time it has cost him the very real prospect of having a club midfield of 9, 10, 12, 13 all turning out for England together.[/quote]

Staunton has started 2 games this season in all competitions.
Billy has started 12.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Good luck to him. A great shame as we could do with some quality in depth in the backs. To get this you either need someone like Staunton who is solid, but not spectacular, but happy to step forward when needed, or a rotation system that keeps the squad up to speed and not over played.

Well, that's the good news - but the really good news is at the bottom of the Merc article:
'The likes of London Irish fly-half Daniel Bowden, Newcastle Falcons' Jimmy Gopperth and former Wasps half-back Danny Cipriani are all out of contract this summer.'

Wooo hooo! :smt023
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Well I did say many many months ago that he would move if he did not get game time to improve. His comments to me at a Bedford game long ago implied as much. Shame to see yet another really good player leave but the inward vision of the Tigers setup makes it no real suprise. He will work well with Freddie Burns. It is going to be tough seeing him in a Glaws shirt. I would have thought Dusty may have got the Saints in the bid process?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Granby wrote:Well, it will cut down the number of posts on here by a half!

Things get worse though - Cockers says we are now looking to recruit ex-internationals from the SH - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/s ... story.html?

I doubt it? The 'bring back Billy' thread will commence soon after September be assured.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

TigerCam wrote:
Granby wrote:Well, it will cut down the number of posts on here by a half!

Things get worse though - Cockers says we are now looking to recruit ex-internationals from the SH - http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/s ... story.html?

I doubt it? The 'bring back Billy' thread will commence soon after September be assured.
Oh :censored: hell! The horror! The horror!

(As an aside, Billy has had plenty of game time this season)
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Well done Tigers, the one player who could assist us to play in amore fluid manner off to pastures new & to be honest who can blame him, he has been treated shockingly by the "Coaches".

Our coaches prefer a non passing 12, we may as well bring Hipkiss back so both centers don't pass, the recruitment of Back 3 players is a non issue now as they won't see any quality ball.

As for people saying AA could get picked for England, he is so far down the list it would take an outbreak of something nasty to get him near the National Side.

As with other players who have a bit of natural talent for Rugby he is cast out from WR to join the likes of Humphries, Malone, Rabeni, Mauger, Greenwood, Kronfeld & others who we have failed to get the best out of. Our coaches seem to prefer cloggers over Artist's.

We play tripe now, god knows whats to come, as for people mentioning Bowden (Flake), Gopperth (Limited & will cost too much) get real neither of these 2 are the answers to our problems.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Longshanks
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Longshanks »

For me the most disturbing aspect of this news is Cockerill's (feigned?) surprise and indignation at Billy's decision to move on. Our Director of Rugby's ability as a communicator and man manager looks woefully short of the mark to me.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Our problem seems to be:
1 no good 10 cover unless we pay a ruddy fortune
2 12 is now a truly flaky position even if Manu is moved there
3 we are possibly losing a truly international player - Agulla and definitely losing AT although he is losing interest/form this season
4 two players are getting to the over-and-out point (Murphy and Hamilton) for different reasons I suspect
5 We have gambled on a very flaky albeit brilliant player (Tait)

In compensation we have 3 excellent 9s and a promising FB/utility back in Morris

We have some very good young players in the wings, and I would be confident of continuity and improvement under a real backs coach. :smt009

And there lies the rub.....for probably sound reasons the club is going to look for good journeymen. However how many Hamiltons are there out there, and how many Grindals? Methinks the Grindals far outweigh the Hamiltons.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Billy is off through his own choice, the club offered him a contract and he wants to go elsewhere - not sure how some see that as the fault of LFC :smt017 As long as he avoids DIY, AA is a good player - our backline defensive captain? and why should Billy get a guarentee to start ahead of him/ As others have said, stay and fight for your place or go elsewhere. As he has chosen to go then good luck but I am equally excited to see who will replace him? Forsyth looks good and I heard good things about Symonds before he broke his leg. If Mauger recommends a centre then he isn't shabby. Who knows what other playes may become available in the summer or depending on who is relegated which players become available? Another Gibson or Howard (or even Gelderbloom) would do, Kafers need not apply :smt002

The club has survived the loss/retirement of far more famous and talented players than Billy in the past and I see no reason why this should change.
soggytiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by soggytiger »

Billy is off through his own choice, the club offered him a contract and he wants to go elsewhere - not sure how some see that as the fault of LFC :smt017 As long as he avoids DIY, AA is a good player - our backline defensive captain? and why should Billy get a guarentee to start ahead of him/ As others have said, stay and fight for your place or go elsewhere. As he has chosen to go then good luck but I am equally excited to see who will replace him? Forsyth looks good and I heard good things about Symonds before he broke his leg. If Mauger recommends a centre then he isn't shabby. Who knows what other playes may become available in the summer or depending on who is relegated which players become available? Another Gibson or Howard (or even Gelderbloom) would do, Kafers need not apply :smt002

The club has survived the loss/retirement of far more famous and talented players than Billy in the past and I see no reason why this should change.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

It's probably just the inevitable hysteria surrounding such news, but is it just me that thinks Twelvetrees' ability is (and has been) blown out of proportion? Don't get me wrong, I like him, and he is talented, but he just hasn't consistently lived up to his billing. Now we wait and see if this was down to our handling of him, or he just isn't as good as everyone wants to think he is.